Donor area question.

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm considering a hair transplant to fix my temples, and I have a question about my donor area. I have a very very very long hairline at the back of my head, infact it's about 1.5-2 inches longer than most peoples and actually goes almost all the way down to the back of my neck. It's also slightly unproportioned and if I don't trim it, it actually looks like I'm growing a mullet intentionally because of its length, I will post a picture later on to help with my description, but I'm at work so I can't.

My question is, could I theoretically use this unwanted hair at the back of my hairline as donor hair? I know a strip might not work as well since I don't want a scar at the bottom of my neck, however could I get an FUE to actually remove hair from my lower hairline and not show any really visible scaring? If I were to explain it like this, I am actually considering getting it laser removed because it's so damn long and looks funny if I don't trim it, but if I could use this hair for a hair transplant donor hair, that would obviously be a much better way to use the hair at the bottom of my neck, and not cut into a real chunk of donor hair in the middle of my neck and thus I could have even more donor hair available should I go even more bald in the future (I'm 25, was a Norwood 2.5-3 but my meds put me back to a 2, check out my success story if you want to see).

Ok I made that a bit more complicated than I wanted to explain it, to put it simply... I have a long hairline, there is hair at the bottom of my hairline I actually do not want because it is a pain to groom it, can I use FUE to move the bottom part of my hairline and thus not cut into my donor supply without scaring badly?

thanks!

SK

s.a.f

Reaction score
A decent surgeon will only use hair from the standard donor section, I've seen a post before asking exactly the same thing (hairs growing down the back of the neck) and a surgeon explained that these hairs often receed later in life so are not suitable to use. Personally I think it would be worth the risk but I'd have to trust the surgeons views over mine.

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm well these arn't hairs growing in small patches down the side of my neck, they are a big thick part of my lower hairline.

G

You are referring to "nape neck hair" and s.a.f. is correct in that this hair is not considered terminal or "permanent" hair. You are young and sure the hair looks robust for now, but it won't later. Only grafts taken from the permanent zone in the occipital area are considered appropriate for hair transplantation.

G

Well yes they can, but remember, you run a big risk in losing them later on. Nape hair is not considered permanent so why pay all of that money only to lose them. :roll: