Don't consume pastuerized dairy?

HughJass

Reaction score
During the 1920s and early 1930s, several studies were carried out that compared the effects of raw versus pasteurized milk in children. In one study, 224 chilren at the Boston Dispensary were fed either raw certified milk or grade A pasteurized milk. (Archives of Pediatrics, 1926.) Those fed raw milk were healthier than those fed pasteurized milk, even when the pasteurized milk was supplemented with Cod Liver Oil. In a comparison of two groups of over 100 babies, those fed pasteurized milk had lower weight gain, more rickets and diarrhea and a greater mortality that those fed raw milk. (Archives of Pediatrics, 1929). And in a study of school children in Scotland, those given raw milk had better growth than those fed pasteurized milk. (Nature, 4/18/31).

In a number of studies involving rats over several generations, researchers Scott and Erf documented normal growth, good health and gentle disposition in rats fed an exclusive raw milk diet. Rats fed pasteurixed milk were anemic, had slow growth, rough coats, loss of vitality and weight, and were very irritable, often showing a tendency to bite when handled (Jersey Bulletin, 1931 Vol 50)

In studies of Guinea pigs carried out by Wulzen and Bahr, animals fed whole raw milk had excellent growth and no abnormalities; those fed whole pasteurized milk had poor growth, muscle stiffness, emaciation and weakness and death within one year. Autopsy of pasteurized milk fed animals revealed atrophied muscles streaked with calcification and tricalcium deposits under the skin and in the joints, heart and other organs (American Journal do Physiology, 1941).

Raw milk contains numerous components that kill bad bacteria and strengthen the immune system. In the infant, these components provide immunity for life to any pathogen to which the baby is exposed. These components are mostly destroyed, or greatly reduced, by pasteurization.

http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/ ... tep-closer

Is this why countries with the highest dairy consumption have the highest rates of osteoporosis?

wouldn't that mean (unpasteurized) butter should be avoided altogether regardless of all the other health benefits it contains? I eat a lot of it..

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Osteoporosis has a lot to do with a deficiency in magnesium...Not a deficiency in calcium. High milk intake could have a lot to do with the increased risk of heart attacks in Americans too.

After reading all about Magnesium and Calcium today, I'm going to stop drinking pasteurised milk.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/ma ... oride.html

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've read a lot of good things about Magnesium recently too, that and vitamin A and Curcumin as being vital for well being and fighting cancer, along with a host of degenerative diseases.

One study I read reported that up to 90% of American children are deficient in vitamin A.

I wish I could get unpasterized milk, you could live of it alone it's so full of goodness, shame most of it gets ruined in the pursuit of profits.

ali777

Reaction score
First of all, the EU bans the sales of raw diary products. So, the only milk we have available is the pasteurised type. There is no other option.

The high incidence of osteoporosis in relatively wealthy countries where people are supposed to be super healthy has been linked to high intake of Vitamin A. It is one of those that science can't really explain yet, but the vitamin A connection is widely accepted.

ali777

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
that and vitamin A as being vital for well being and fighting cancer

I don't think there is conclusive evidence on this subject. I think it is generally accepted that vitamin A can prevent cancer.

However, one study shows prolonged intake of vitamin A actually increases the incidence of lung cancer in smokers. Also, as I already said, it increases the chances of osteoporosis as well.

HughJass

Reaction score
ali777 said:
The high incidence of osteoporosis in relatively wealthy countries where people are supposed to be super healthy has been linked to high intake of Vitamin A.

How do we tell for sure that the osteoporosis link isn't down to pasteurized dairy intake?

HughJass

Reaction score
Harie- do you know why the article you posted made this claim-

"The higher the calcium intake, especially in the form of cows' milk products (except butter) the higher the incidence of osteoporosis"

I'd love not to have to give up or cut back on butter

Harie said:
After reading all about Magnesium and Calcium today, I'm going to stop drinking pasteurised milk.

pasteurized dairy products that have been fermented would still be good to consume though I think...

A small amount of plain, full fat, pot set yoghurt each day would be probably be worth any of the adverse effects that calcium might have, especially considering the bioavailability of magnesium in the milk is increased during fermentation

HughJass

Reaction score
ali777 said:
First of all, the EU bans the sales of raw diary products. So, the only milk we have available is the pasteurised type. There is no other option.

It seems they are available, I gather some sort of law is being circumvented though?

ali777

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
ali777 said:
The high incidence of osteoporosis in relatively wealthy countries where people are supposed to be super healthy has been linked to high intake of Vitamin A.

How do we tell for sure that the osteoporosis link isn't down to pasteurized dairy intake?

We look at statistical correlation.... I do not have the data to make any conclusions on my own. I'm telling you what I have read.