Don't know what to do!

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Iv'e been applying minoxdil for around 3 months both to my crown and my hairline. My crown spot has expanded so much and my hairline where i'm applying the minoxidil is gone to a nw2 in that time from a nw1. I know its the minxodil that caused it because the other side of my hairline is completely fine. There is still fine hairs along the hairline but if you're not looking for them you can't see them. I haven't started finasteride yet because i have a decent amount of body fat from stress eating for half a year all takeaway food and someone told me on here more fat = more receptors for estrogen = greater risk of propecia sides like gyno. I have 2 concerns, If i start finasteride now i'll be doing a finasteride shed ontop of this already bad minoxidil shed and that i'm making my situation worse without recovery with minoxidil already.

Advice?

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Add a Ketoconazole shampoo to your regimen. Keep applying minoxidil if you don't see any other sides than loosing hair from using it.

You could try other variation of minoxidil: Increased % or minoxidil sulfate (the effective component of minoxidil) or minoxidil with stuff added like Azaleic Acid, Copper peptides, etc.

Try cutting food that will make your insulin level spikes: High sugar food and simple carbonhydrates. Cut inflammatory food like wheat and milk to see if you feel better from it.

You can supplement with R-Lipoic Acid and Acetyl-l-cartinine to help you deal with stress and avoid fat storage from it.

Tooscared2323

Reaction score
Shedding is an awful experience. I am pretty new to this forum, so my advice might not be as sound as other members here, but I do know after speaking to 5 dermatologists about shedding, is that some people shed with treatments while others don't shed at all. From what I understand, is that shedding when you're on treatments is a process thar occurs because you're shifting your hair cycle to the growth phase (anagen). This causes the hair to cycle moving to the telogen phase (shedding phase) first before it enters the anagen phase. So overall your hair will look thinner first before it gets thicker. The shedding phase usually lasts 3 to 6 months. So that's why a lot of people say their hair looks worse before it looks better. I myself have been shedding for over a year, not due to meds though, but I know how you feel and it's awful. If you want to keep track of your hairloss progression I would suggest buying a microscope camera, on eBay or wherever you can and performing a diy miniaturization test. This helps keep tract of your miniaturization. Again I am newbie to all this, and thought I might be able to help. Good luck, I wish you the best with your treatment.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there mikazz, Iv'e been using keto shampoo but it hasn't really made much of a difference i don't think. I'm so conflicted about finasteride, My minoxidil shed from nw1 to nw2 is making me feel bad enough but the finasteride shed ontop of it sounds horrible although if i don't use finasteride my hair loss will progress anyway. A part of me wishes I never used minoxidil i feel like its just making my hairline go back further and further it was fine when i started trying to treat minor thinning, my natural male pattern baldness was going slow at the front now its argh. The hair is still there on the receeded side but theres so little of it and its so thin that unless you're within say 5cm of it you couldn't see it. Iv'e been on minoxidil 3 months if i quit what happens? those hairs gone forever? My concern is that minoxidil will just keep receeding that side of my hairline.

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to keep using minoxidil if you don't have any inflammation or rash from it. Sometimes, hairs are falling only to regrowth stronger and most people are having results after 4 or 6 month of usage. If you don't see any regrwowth after 6 month of usage, stop using it.

Make sure you use 5% minoxidil 1-2 times a day.

Oh and not everyone get shedding from finasteride. It's probably your best hope of not losing any more hair, if really you have male pattern baldness.

Tooscared2323

Reaction score
Hi secretlybatman! I am new to this forum, and my advice may not be as sound as other more experienced individuals here. However, after seeing a number of dermatologists for over a year, I have gained a little bit of knowledge on shedding. Shedding on meds is one of those things that may happen or not while you're treating your hair loss. In theory when you are treating your hair loss, with something like minoxidil you're shifting your hair cycle to the growth phase (anagen phase). This is how minoxidil works as a growth stimulant. Unfortunately, the consequence is that as the hair cycles it enters the telogen phase (shedding phase) first before entering the growing phase. This is what causes shedding and that is what you are seeing. Hairs in the telogen phase usually stay in that phase anywhere from 3 to 6 months, with a cosmetic difference at around the 10th or 12th month (after the anagen hairs have fulling grown), give or take. You just have to let that cycle run its course. I myself have been shedding for over a year, and I know how awful and saddening it can be. I know that no matter how many times people say to be patient, it is completely disheartening to see hair shedding. But most people are right from what I have read and understand about hair loss is that sticking with your treatment for a long period of time will prove to be beneficial in the long run. I wish you all the best with your treatment, best of luck.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
start finasteride, stay on minoxidil

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Still just on minoxidil my crown has continued to expand now i have gaping hole on my crown. This shedding buisness sucks i don't even see new hair coming through.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay this really sucks. I just applied minoxodil and put a mirror over my head to see and now when wet it looks like the entire back of my hair is gone. NW5 style. I know its the min because the hair is strong and thick back there. Or at least whats left of it. My male pattern baldness family history is a slow one and i was balding slowly until i touched this stuff. I'm regretting it big time. I should of started on propecia and let that do its work for a year. Argh I Want to chuck this stuff out for what its done to my hair but i know if i do there's no chance that hair will come back.