Doozer's Story - ( 35 /Just starting out)

doozer

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have just decided to take my life in a new direction and get serious about this problem I have been trying to avoid and not think about....

I am 35 yrs old, have had thinning hair for quite a while, it seems to be from my moms side... I have avoided mirrors and having pics taken of me for so long, and hate looking at myself in pics because of this.. it was very hard for me to even look at these pics when I took them, its not often you see yourself from these angles.. and to be honest I really didnt think it was this far along... I find myself wearing hats amost daily now. I would have much more self confidence if I knew it didnt look so bad.

I just started using minoxidil and nizoral, and am waiing for the finesteride (generic proscar) to arrive in the mail.

I got alot of hope from reading the success stories, but I realize all I can expect is to keep what I have and maybe, if Im lucky, stimulate some growth and look a little better for a while. Im ready for the long committment with using the products, I just wish I would have gotten my head out of the sand sooner and nipped this in the bud..

Look at the pics and please let me know what type of results I might be able to expect using the big three regimen. And any other advice in regards to improving my appearance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 190

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
Stay on the big three and give it at "least" a year. You'll probably see improvement within 6 months though. I don't know how much of an improvement you will see, but you should see some improvement. Don't expect miracles though and be patient. You lost a lot of hair, so that reduces your chances of improvement, but the big 3 will likely help. It's just a matter of waiting. Have realistic expectations too. Don't expect that you will grow back a thick head of hair fast. It'll take time and you probably won't get close to a thick head of hair back, unfortunately in your case.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
You arnt slick bald, so you have a chance.

like others will say get on finasteride, minoxidil and nizoral. dont be shocked to see it get worse at the start. keep the faith, you might be a super responder.

doozer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. That is what I was thinking. My plan is to go on the big three for one year and than decide wether or not to continue. I certainly dont expect a miracle. I think I have realistic expectations, so I wont be too disappointed if it doesnt work for me, but hey, whats the worst that could happen? Either way I can say I tried.

If it turns out im not a good responder than I will consider just shaving it off... Although I still cant seem to bring myslef to do it. I still feel like I have hair, although looking at the pics really shows how little I truly have.. My first reaction is "oh no, the picture makes it look worse than it is, I really am not that bald..." But I know deep down it is that bad.

In the meantime, while im on the program, can anyone offer any advice on how to manage what I do have? I have always had long hair (how ironic) and am not use to any type of "buzzcut" , and frankly, Im scared to death to make any drastic changes to my appearance. Maybe because I just dont like attention. But I would consider any advice from the forum.

Also, I am not the most healthy eater, and I do drink a few times a week, mainly vodka, but not to excess... just a drink or two a night. I dont excersize, but I am on my feet all day. How much does a healthy lifestyle really matter when it comes to male pattern baldness... I would imagine if its gonna happen to me, its gonna happen regardless of what I eat. But I have read other opinions on the forum.

I will say that my hair is very light in color, and I think if it was darker it might look a bit thicker... Not sure if Im just making excuses or not but...

Thanks for all the advice, I will post my progress (or lack there of) on the forum in the coming months.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
i have to say you can be a best responder with dutas or finasteride with minoxidil and nizral...

good luck .......................

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
buzzing it will make your hairloss a lot less noticable, and will make you look younger and hipper.

Do not do a bald buzz. I recomend keeping about 1/2 inch. Keep enough hair to shadow your head and frame your face.

I am a nw3 and when I did this the feedback was positive.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
doozer

Before i done any research i thought that you could not fight going bald, its most certainly not the case, minoxidil and finasteride can save your hair, it can even grow it back.

Id be pretty surprised if you didnt get improvment so keep the faith and stick it out.

If you need advice ask on these forums, dont google it you will just get freaked out with terrible untrue stories, the best guys are here and will help.

doozer

Reaction score
So I had my wife take the clippers to my hair and told her to buzz it kinda short. I have to say, I think I look so much worse now.. I dont know why, but I think my head is to skinny and pointy to have real short hair on the sides... I havent left the house without a hat since monday.

For some reason, when I look at the pics of me before and after the haircut, it doesnt really look alot different, but to me when I look in the mirror I think I look totally different.. I posted a couple pics, the lighting kinda sucks, but you can see it.

My wife is very supportive and she says it looks much better, but I think shes just saying that because she knows im extremely self concious... My self esteem has never been very good, but it really sank when I looked in the morror for some reason after my haircut. Maybe just because its more noticable to me, not really everyone else.

Anyway, let me know your opinions, and in the meantime Im waiting for my finasteride to get here, one online pharmacy dropped the ball and for some reason never processed my order, so I ordered from inhouse and it should be here in a few days. So far I have been using the Rogaine Foam and Nizoral for a couple weeks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 191
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 188
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 169
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 147

Algren

Reaction score
Hi,

Your thinning is quite diffuse actually, so I was thinking you should give a try, at least, at Toppik.
You could use it on special occasions when you go out and I think it might really help the global appearance of your hair.

This cosmetic product seems to work more on diffuse hair thinning than really located bald spots.

Keep us posted, and good luck! :)

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck mate, as others have said, get yourself on the big three and I know it's hard, but try to stick to the regime for at least 6 months and assess from there and try not to concentrate on it so much.

I think with your new haircut what you should do is buzz the back and sides down more so that the top isn't so noticable. I have to do that with a #1 on the back and the sides and #3 on the top to allow the blend to be far better. Just worth considering.

:)

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It doesnt look good cause you didn't buzz it short enough. buzz it down really short so it looks like you are in the military. Also, buzz down the length of your goat.

doozer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Just got my supply of finasteride yesterday, so I am finally on the "Big 3" , well actually I am only using the Nizoral 1% right now, but I ordered the 2% online and should have that next week. (not sure if it matters all that much).

WorldofWarcraft: I think your probably right, I should just buzz it closer, Ill think about it. Honestly, I hate thinking about it, its easier to just wear a hat for the time being everyday. But thanks for the advice.

I like your name by the way, I have to admit, I am a reformed WoW addict.. I love the game, but it was taking up to much of my life so I walked away from it.. I do miss playing though.