dopamine agonist and hairloss : l-tyrosine

Reaction score
If something is a dopamine agonist does that mean it increases dopamine or blocks it?

In IH's regime, he says "Adrenal androgen production is increased by prolactin. The use of dopamine agonists can modulate elevated prolactin levels in hyperandrogenic patients." Thus, chasteberry is a dopamine agonist.

L-Tyrosine is used by some for hairloss, and dopamine is made from the amino acid tyrosine.

Does this mean tyrosine is a dopamine agonist? Or is it doing the exact opposite of chasteberry?

docj077

Reaction score
His reasoning makes little sense to me. If prolactin increases androgen from the adrenals, then that increased secretion will be negated by prolactin inhibiting GnRH, and thus, androgen secretion from the gonads.

Anything that is a dopamine agonist will inhibit prolactin secretion.

Elevated prolactin is associated with infertility and lack of ovulation. Both are processes that require sex hormones, which have their secretion inhibited by prolactin. I'm sure that you can figure out the rest.

Reaction score
Why doesn't it make sense? Sorry I'm not being argumentative, just confused.

Increased prolactin is not good for hair. So, if chasteberry is a dopamine agonist, it inhibits prolactin secretion, and that result is good for hair, no?

I suppose all I'm asking is whether l-tyrosine is a dopamine agonist too?