dpryor's story (19 y/o)

dpryor

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just turned 19 and I've been struggling with hair loss since almost exactly a year ago. For some unknown reason, my hair started to shed at a rapid rate this time last year. I would typically lose 60+ hairs while combing each morning and more than 250 when I washed my hair every two days or so. Those numbers are more than guesses, because I've taken detailed counts numerous times over the past year. I know that's somewhat neurotic, but my hair has grown sparse and I don't want to lose it all in my early 20s. I'm just starting college and I know I'll have a hard time ahead if that happens.

I've tried taking different supplements (biotin, multivitamins, etc.) and using different shampoos (ones without SLS), but nothing has really changed. My hair is falling at the same rate it was over a year ago. I really don't know what to do. I'm hesitant to go on the big 3 because of their possible side effects and my age. I already have a low libido and I don't want to risk making it almost nonexistent. But, if it's the only option, I will go on them.

My dad, who is in his early 50s, isn't bald but his hair is thin all over. My mother has extremely thin hair. My grandfathers are probably around Norwood 4-5.

I've attached a few pics. My hair's pretty long right now so it covers otherwise visible scalp. I would appreciate any information and advice you can provide. Thanks.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 145
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 134
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 142

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I'd try finasteride first. You might end up with a higher libido, some people experience that permanently or for a while.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
larabelle said:
I wouldn’t say your hair looks like it’s thinning, but that does seem to be quite a high rate of hair shedding (a normal persons loses 150-200 hair strands each day). Try not to worry about it too much – stress will always have an adverse effect on your health – and you're right to be looking into diet changes and how they might support hair growth. Visit http://tiny.cc/y8p0f . Dr Chris Steele from ‘This Morning ‘explains how hair loss products work in the video on the homepage.

150-200 a day is excessive I would think. The normal I thought is about 50-100. The 250 strands every 2 days is slightly too high, when combined with your 60+ during combing, seems rather excessive.

However, the important thing about hairloss is not so much how much hair you are losing, but rather how much miniaturized hair you are losing that are not growing back.