Dr. Lee's 2% spironolactone

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using Dr. Lee's 2% spironolactone liquid? Because I've been trying to spread the 5% spironolactone cream on my diffusing mop, but that's far from easy. I feel like I'm wasting the stuff. A liquid for such a large area seems like a smarter way to go.

What do people think? Go liquid? Does anyone have anything positive to say about Dr. Lee's 2% liquid?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I've been following the 2% threads for quite some time - and I don't recall "anyone" ever saying anything good about it.

When I first asked Dr. Lee about it - he told me it was "about as effective" as the 5%.

I used it for 1 year in combo w/ revivogen serum, minoxidil, and a bunch of other stuff - and no help.

Everyone's pretty much in agreement that if you're gonna go w/ spironolactone - to go w/ the 5%.

(And if you have trouble applying it - then you have too much damn hair to begin with :)

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
There is 5% liquid spironolactone from cemproducts.com, but I have no idea if that site is legitimate...

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Beethoven said:
There is 5% liquid spironolactone from cemproducts.com, but I have no idea if that site is legitimate...

I'm tempted to give that try.

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember people saying that 5% liquid is not supposed to be stable, and that's the reason Lee and Genhair sells 5% cream, and hence the question if that 5% liquid is really effective...
Perhaps you should ask one of the experts here for their opinion.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Beethoven said:
I remember people saying that 5% liquid is not supposed to be stable, and that's the reason Lee and Genhair sells 5% cream, and hence the question if that 5% liquid is really effective...
Perhaps you should ask one of the experts here for their opinion.

Good point. I've bookmarked that product for now - if I ever decide to give it a whirl I'll poll the forum . . .

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Beethoven - I seem to remember you were having some problems with side effects and spironolactone. Did you get that cleared up/figured out?

Thanks to both of you for your posts. I appreciate it. It sounds like the 2% liquid is a no-go (and maybe that liquid spironolactone in general is a bad idea?).

Too bad, because it really is hard to apply a cream to an entire scalp of thinning hair....

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
jimmyjames said:
Beethoven - I seem to remember you were having some problems with side effects and spironolactone. Did you get that cleared up/figured out?

Thanks to both of you for your posts. I appreciate it. It sounds like the 2% liquid is a no-go (and maybe that liquid spironolactone in general is a bad idea?).

Too bad, because it really is hard to apply a cream to an entire scalp of thinning hair....

Well - there is one option . . .

the 2% is fairly inexpensive, and it is easy to use and cosmetically acceptable, and being you're using the 5% anyways, you might want to consider 2% in the mornings and 5% in the evenings before bed.

(That works out to about 3.5%, 2x per day :)

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything more about 2% spironolactone? Is it messy? Greasy? Make your hair look like crap when you apply it?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
jimmyjames said:
Can anyone tell me anything more about 2% spironolactone? Is it messy? Greasy? Make your hair look like crap when you apply it?

The 2% has an alcohol base, applies very easily, dries very quickly and leaves your hair looking just fine afterwards.

The big question though, is it even worth using? Maybe in conjunctiion w/ the 5%, it might be OK. But on its own, there are no anecdotal (forum members' success stories) of it being worthwhile.

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
jimmyjames said:

You have good memory... I was on finasteride 10 months and quit it due to zero libido, weak erections, and a bit of head fuzz, started topical 5% spironolactone and good weird and strong nipple pain after 2-3 weeks. It might had been due to applying excess amount (I applied three times a day...), weak hormonal state due to the finasteride (maybe spironolactone alone wasn't able to do it by itself), and maybe I'm just sensitive to spironolactone (or all three of them togther).
Anyway even if it was due to the spironolactone, I understand that it is very very rare, so I still advice anyone dropping finasteride to try spironolactone first due to money considerations (fluridil is very expensive). I'm using fluridil 3 months and so far I think it's working ok for me, no sides also, as I said it's expensive but you should consider it since you are looking for liquid.

If price is no concern try fluridil, if it is - you can rotate fluridil and 2% spironolactone (still can contribute something...) EOD

G

jimmyjames said:
Is anyone using Dr. Lee's 2% spironolactone liquid? Because I've been trying to spread the 5% spironolactone cream on my diffusing mop, but that's far from easy. I feel like I'm wasting the stuff. A liquid for such a large area seems like a smarter way to go.

What do people think? Go liquid? Does anyone have anything positive to say about Dr. Lee's 2% liquid?

jimmyjames,

Do you think we could possibly thin up the consistency of the cream? Perhaps add some EMU Oil to the base would do this. EMU Oil is supposed to an emulsifier as well so it should not separate. Also it should help get the spironolactone through the scalp and down to the follicle better with its absorption qualities.

This would then make it more of a lotion than a cream, and it should be easier to run in through the hair.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Fairtaxnow,

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, but to tell you the truth, I don't know anything about mixing and matching topicals. And I've never used emu oil either. Is it easy to apply to your head? Does it make your hair look greasy or clumpy?

Anyone else have any opinions on this possible mixing of emu oil and spironolactone cream?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
jimmyjames said:
Anyone else have any opinions on this possible mixing of emu oil and spironolactone cream?

Emu Oil is great stuff - but very greasy. It's definitly a before bed topical.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
jimmyjames said:

Applying in moderation makes less of a mess.... I hate smelling my hairloss products on my pillow. Especially revivogen

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Matgallis said:
hair_tomorrow said:
jimmyjames said:

Applying in moderation makes less of a mess.... I hate smelling my hairloss products on my pillow. Especially revivogen

Revivogen is the wost! I'll never forget my wife saying "whatever that crap is you're putting on your head is ruining all the pillows!" (good thing she loves me).

At bedtime, I'll apply about 10 spritzes of Tricomin Therapy Serum, and Emu Oil on top of that.

Actually, edit that. I just finished up a months' worth of emu oil, and am now substituting that for a concoction of 10ml emu, 10ml grapseed oil, 3 ml jojoba oil - to which I've added a few drops each of the essential oils cedarwood, thyme, rosemary and lavender. Exept for the emu oil, I've pretty much duplicated that Scottish Study (which was 20 ml grapeseed oil, 3ml jojoba plus the essential oils).

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair_Tomorrow:

Have you ever tried Eucapil? You seem like someone who's tried a bit of everything, so I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm pretty tempted to give it a shot, but it's incredibly expensive.

Thanks!

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
jimmyjames said:
Hair_Tomorrow:

Have you ever tried Eucapil? You seem like someone who's tried a bit of everything, . . . !

Believe it or not, "no". Sorry jj.

I think if I try anything new - it'll be lasers. Maybe this fall depending on what kind of progress I do, or don't make between now and then.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair_Tomorrow:

Hey, thanks for the response anyway! I always appreciate your posts - you know your stuff, but you've got a sense of humour about it, too.

Beethoven:

I'm not sure if you're still following this thread, but could you tell me any more about your experience with Eucapil/Fluridil? There's been some positive feedback around here about Eucapil stopping sheds, which is really what I'm going for at the moment. And I'm not sure where you live, but what was your experience with shipping the stuff? I live in Canada, and I'm worried about Customs charges and how long it will take to get here.

Thanks!