Dr. Lee's 5% spironolactone - not so bad...

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I've finally started using 5% spironolactone. I was worried about the smell or how it would make my hair look, but I find it's pretty easy to apply to the hairline, and maybe an inch or two in for problem areas. When I apply it to a dry or nearly dry scalp, I don't feel it has a strong smell. After it dries, the smell is practically nonexistant...though right after application it does smell a bit. So I do one application in the morning after my shower, usuall 8:30 am, and then I apply at work at about 5:30 or so. When I get in from work, sometime before bed I apply revivogen. When I wake up, sometimes there's a smell, probably due to revivogen and spironolactone reacting. However, so far that's not a big problem. I also feel that my hair looks just a bit thicker after applying spironolactone. I think it's because applying it tends to tease it out a bit. Anyway, it's not bad....
No word on progress though, as I've only been using it for a few weeks. I'll let you know.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I agree, I think spironolactone is an effective supplement.

As for the smell, the infamous 'spironolactone smell' is only encountered when using the alcohol-based 2% spironolactone in conjunction with minoxidil. 5% is odorless.