Dr. Lee's Claims About Xandrax

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Q. What were the results of Dr. Lee's own clinical trials with Xandrox as compared to the combination of Rogaine 5% and Propecia?

A. There was a study group of 24 on Xandrox alone and a comparison group on 5% minoxidil (Rogaine Extra Strength / 1 mg finasteride (Propecia). The age range was 26 to 49 y.o. in both groups and observations were noted for six months. None of the patients could be on any previous treatment prior to the study. The results were similar with a slight edge to Xandrox.

I have the impression that Dr. Lee is one of the most reliable sources of information and treatments. But reading over his FAQs, I was startled by this one. He is really all about azelaic acid! I don't hear much on here about it though, though one of his other treatments, spironolactone, gets a lot of chatter. Interestingly enought, he goes on to say:

Q. What's the advantage of using 5% Xandrox over Regrowth's 5% minoxidil with 2% spironolactone?

A. There are many advantages: (1) Most importantly, it's undoubtedly more effective for stimulating hair growth; (2) Better patient compliance; (3) It's much more convenient, since each topical dose only requires a single 1 mL application from one bottle; (4) 5% Xandrox is chemically much more stable and is much less affected by thermal changes; (5) 5% Xandrox is odorless as compared to the offensive odor that can be associated with spironolactone, and (6), there is no increase in price.

So he actually promotes his minoxidil with azelaic acid over one of his other products at the same price. Based on this information I would definitely go with Xandrax- anyone would. What do you guys think?

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input . Well said my friend , I don't have a clue myself unfortunately .

G

I bought dr Lees Xandrox. I have used Rogaine for two years and when I compare the two Xandrox is so far way better in terms of appliance.

As for results - It´s too early to say but I bought the anti DHT property of A-Acid.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
As I've been saying for the last couple of years, I think that's nothing but wishful thinking on Dr. Lee's part. There is no in vivo evidence at all that topical azelaic acid inhibits 5a-reductase. Quite to the contrary, there's some circumstantial evidence that it does NOT do so, and that's the fact that it has no effect on sebum production in either humans or animals (rats, mice, hamsters). I doubt that Xandrox is anything other than a more expensive version of Rogaine.

Bryan

The Gardener

Reaction score
One of our fellow board-mates once went on a visit to Dr Lee and asked us if we had any questions we would like him to ask Dr Lee for us. I submitted a question, asking him to ask Dr Lee if he thought Azelaic Acid or Spironolactone were better. Dr Lee's reply was 'spironolactone, hands down.'

I think you need to re-read Lee's answer to the question above. He is not saying that Azelaic Acid is better than spironolactone. He is saying that Xandrox is better than a minoxidil plus spironolactone regimen. In his response, he does not say that the Xandrox is better because of the Azelaic Acid, he says it is better because of:

1) It is better at stimulating hairgrowth
Now, you can't necessarily imply that it's the anti-DHT properties of Azelaic Acid that makes it 'better'. It could be because the Azelaic Acid increases the absorbtion of the minoxidil in the Xandrox? Or it could be from the other reasons below.

2) Better patient compliance
Again, he is not saying that Azelaic Acid is better at fighting DHT. He is merely saying that Xandrox is better because the patients in his study group tended to use it more regularly than minoxidil and spironolactone for lifestyle reasons.

3) More convenient
Same as #2. He is merely saying that a typical human is more regular with a one topical regimen than a two topical regimen.

4) spironolactone's odor
Again, he is not saying Az Acid is better, just saying you don't have to risk the bad odor.

Now, I don't use Xandrox, but I felt I had to chime in to add a little context.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I guess nobody trying to sell you something can ever be really trusted. I was quite sure his claims seemed to good to be true, considering you don't hear about azelaic acid in nearly the same praise anywhere else. If it was really that good, more people would certainly be on to it.

Gardner- do you use Dr. Lee's regular monoxidil? With nothing special, just less ppg to make it easier to apply? I see on his page that the ppg is less (like 30% instead of 60%)- how big is the difference greasiness?

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
As I've been saying for the last couple of years, I think that's nothing but wishful thinking on Dr. Lee's part. There is no in vivo evidence at all that topical azelaic acid inhibits 5a-reductase. Quite to the contrary, there's some circumstantial evidence that it does NOT do so, and that's the fact that it has no effect on sebum production in either humans or animals (rats, mice, hamsters). I doubt that Xandrox is anything other than a more expensive version of Rogaine.

Bryan

Yes, and when put on the spot with the challenge of producing even *one* reference to azelaic acid's alleged in vivo 5a-reductase inhibition, Dr. Lee failed to do so. The entire dialog between Bryan, Dr. Lee, and I is probably still archived at hairlosshelp.com in the "Ask an expert" section. You guys should read his responses before spending a penny of your hard earned money on Xandrox.

This is the first time I've heard of a "clinical trial" of Xandrox conducted by Dr. Lee (a slightly biased relationship, don't ya think?). When and where did this take place, and where are the results?

Dave

muii

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
One of our fellow board-mates once went on a visit to Dr Lee and asked us if we had any questions we would like him to ask Dr Lee for us. I submitted a question, asking him to ask Dr Lee if he thought Azelaic Acid or Spironolactone were better. Dr Lee's reply was 'spironolactone, hands down.'

I think you need to re-read Lee's answer to the question above. He is not saying that Azelaic Acid is better than spironolactone. He is saying that Xandrox is better than a minoxidil plus spironolactone regimen. In his response, he does not say that the Xandrox is better because of the Azelaic Acid, he says it is better because of:

1) It is better at stimulating hairgrowth
Now, you can't necessarily imply that it's the anti-DHT properties of Azelaic Acid that makes it 'better'. It could be because the Azelaic Acid increases the absorbtion of the minoxidil in the Xandrox? Or it could be from the other reasons below.

2) Better patient compliance
Again, he is not saying that Azelaic Acid is better at fighting DHT. He is merely saying that Xandrox is better because the patients in his study group tended to use it more regularly than minoxidil and spironolactone for lifestyle reasons.

3) More convenient
Same as #2. He is merely saying that a typical human is more regular with a one topical regimen than a two topical regimen.

4) spironolactone's odor
Again, he is not saying Az Acid is better, just saying you don't have to risk the bad odor.

Now, I don't use Xandrox, but I felt I had to chime in to add a little context.

yes, that was me. i saw dr. lee about a year ago and asked the question the gardner wanted me to ask....he is a nice man who seems pretty devoted to his feild, and he indeed told me spironolactone is by far better than az acid

ciao

Whammy

Reaction score
Dr.Lee's quotes and answers to questions get posted a lot on this forum. I'm sure he has a lot of useful information, but in my opinion the more I read his stuff the less credibility it has. There was a answer posted on here not so long ago, and someone else who was knowledgeable on the subject, I forget who possibly Bryan showed it simply was not true. One must not forget that Dr.Lee is a entrepeneur, and is selling products. I don't think i've heard one good thing about spironolactone, well I did but it was later retracted, and I almost bought the product based on that guys claims. Yet, i'm sure if you were to ask Dr.Lee, I doubt he'd say yeah well this spironolactone stuff doesn't work for 95% of the people, and the other remaining people are probably the same amount you'd see on placebo...

bombscience

Reaction score
Whammy said:
Dr.Lee's quotes and answers to questions get posted a lot on this forum. I'm sure he has a lot of useful information, but in my opinion the more I read his stuff the less credibility it has. There was a answer posted on here not so long ago, and someone else who was knowledgeable on the subject, I forget who possibly Bryan showed it simply was not true. One must not forget that Dr.Lee is a entrepeneur, and is selling products. I don't think i've heard one good thing about spironolactone, well I did but it was later retracted, and I almost bought the product based on that guys claims. Yet, i'm sure if you were to ask Dr.Lee, I doubt he'd say yeah well this spironolactone stuff doesn't work for 95% of the people, and the other remaining people are probably the same amount you'd see on placebo...

I have to disagree. Dr. Lee uses scientific research to make his claims and when it comes down to it, that's a lot more valuable than someone's opinion on the internet. Now there is debate of what hairloss treatments have the most concrete scientific research backing them (spironolactone has some good studies while azelaic acid does not), but overall you should look to science first to determine what treatments are effective.