Draxae's story

draxae

Reaction score
My name is Tom. I just turned 26. I first noticed my hair thinning about a year ago. My family, my gf, and her mom have all noticed and mentioned something as well. Right now it is only very noticeable to people I see fairly often, such as these. My hairline has receded at the temples slightly, and the top of my head is thinning.

I saw my dermatologist who recommended/prescribed Propecia to me after only hearing that I was losing hair. I asked about Rogaine, and he stated that that was less effective. Through my own research I was uneasy about the sexual sides, which he dismissed as very uncommon. Still uneasy, I did nothing. Over this summer, I found this site and others which seemed to contain valid info. I've spent hours reading and so am familiar with the basics, such as what the major hair-loss products are and what they do.

Male Pattern Baldness runs in my family; my mom's dad, and his brother and half-brother, and my mom's mom's brother. No one on my dad's side, and interestingly my mom's brother is either effectively treating it or doesn't have it.

I plan to see another dermatologist who will put more effort into determining a cause. I also have an appointment to have hormone levels checked following the advice in this post: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50119&p=479883&hilit=tolerance#p479883

Not very interested in Finasteride b/c of the potential sexual sides, hesitant to start Minoxidil due to the potential built up tolerance I've read about. I know there are a few other scientifically-supported treatments, but I would like to try something small first because my hair loss is not significant at this point, and to avoid built-up tolerance with any of the more established products.

Thus, I'm first looking for a shampoo and/or topical treatment. It sounds like Nizoral, being one of the big 3, would be the most reliable choice. I'm interested in finding out more about others, however, such as Nioxin, Revivogen, and Tricomin.

My biggest concern besides the sexual sides is built-up tolerance. I'm 25, and I would like to be able to sustain a decent head of hair for as long as possible.

I will post a picture when I locate my camera. I wanted to post an intro before asking anything.