Dropping minoxidil to Once a Day

bombscience

Reaction score
I have to guys. My scalp is really bad. When I spread my hair I notice red blotchy patches covered in a yellow material that when I pick it off is like a mixture of puss and skin. Yeah, it's freaking gross.

I'm going to drop down until my Dr. Lee stuff arrives. If I do well i might try 5% mornings and 2% nights. Ahh, this stuff is tough, wish I was responding better.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
When I spread my hair I notice red blotchy patches covered in a yellow material that when I pick it off is like a mixture of puss and skin. Yeah, it's freaking gross.

uh, and you are still applying minoxidil with your scalp looking like that?!!

I would stop immediately, let your scalp heal a bit, and wait for the ppg free minoxidil. You are simply accelerating your loss with that much inflammation. Remember, male pattern baldness is an inflammatory process. Anything that aggravates inflammation is BAD.

bombscience

Reaction score
vortex72--> said:
When I spread my hair I notice red blotchy patches covered in a yellow material that when I pick it off is like a mixture of puss and skin. Yeah, it's freaking gross.

uh, and you are still applying minoxidil with your scalp looking like that?!!

I would stop immediately, let your scalp heal a bit, and wait for the ppg free minoxidil. You are simply accelerating your loss with that much inflammation. Remember, male pattern baldness is an inflammatory process. Anything that aggravates inflammation is BAD.

Really, ouch. No wonder why i've lost 50% of my frontal hair in the last 2 months. See it comes and it goes... that's why I haven't been worrying. I thought there was an adjustment time. Ah so I should get on that PPG-free minoxidil? Do you know what exact formula that is?

Now the real question... can I get those hairs back that my scalp rejected because of the inflammation?

bombscience

Reaction score
OK BOYS, I EMAILED DR. LEE

... and he got back to me really quickly actually, here is what he said:

Minoxidil itself does not cause these symptoms. Your description suggests you may be having an untoward reaction to the propylene glycol in Rogaine. I now have many patients who complain of that problem.

Propylene glycol constitutes 50% of the liquid base in Rogaine Extra Strength and the generic 5% topical minoxidil solutions. Propylene glycol is used in minoxidil solutions because (1) it is an humectant, i.e. it helps to moisturize the skin and helps protect it from the drying effect of the alcohol; (2) it increases and stabilizes the solubility of minoxidil; and (3) it keeps a small quantity of minoxidil on the surface of the scalp to allow for a small amount of continued absorption after the alcohol has penetrated. Although it requires a more complicated process, our minoxidil solutions are formulated with only 30% propylene glycol in the base. Upjohn Pharmacia and generic manufacturers use a high concentration of propylene glycol (50%) principally because it extends the shelf life of the 5% minoxidil solution. Propylene Glycol does little to improve the effectiveness of the minoxidil formulas. It's the alcohol that allows for the penetration of minoxidil into the skin.

We have liquid minoxidil and Xandrox that doesn't have any propylene glycol in the base. Ask for either product 540 or 640 respectively. The prices are the same as regular minoxidil and regular Xandrox, $19.95 and $34.95.

Personally, I think that the minoxidil solutions which substitute glycerin for propylene glycol at the same concentration feel a bit more 'greasy' than the standard formulations. Paradoxically, we have patients who order the glycerin products because they feel that they feel less greasy. Regardless, if you find the propylene glycol free formula to be cosmetically unacceptable, then when you apply it in the morning, leave it on 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hours and then shampoo your hair. In the evening, apply it before going to bed and leave it on all night.

Replace 5% minoxidil with either propylene glycol free 5% minoxidil or propylene glycol free 5% Xandrox.
Continue with Propecia or 1/4 Proscar pill per day. See comment below, and Nizoral.
Stop using Saw Palmetto, Green Tea and Grape Seed Extract, Tgel and Nioxin Shampoo.

Proscar and Propecia are the same medication, i.e. finasteride. The only difference is that Proscar is a 5 mg tablet of finasteride and Propecia is a 1 mg tablet of finasteride.

If you take quartered tablets of Proscar instead of Propecia, you will have the same beneficial results for treating male pattern baldness at less than 1/3 the price. In fact, your medical insurance might even pay for the Proscar, whereas the insurance companies almost never reimburse for the purchase of Propecia.

Use a pill cutter or any sharp blade and cut the hard, brittle, blue covered Proscar tablet into four pieces. You will undoubtedly also create some powder and many smaller fragments. It really makes no difference if the pieces are of unequal size. The range of effectiveness is very wide and has been shown to vary as much as from 0.2 mg to 5 mg of finasteride. Furthermore, there is such a tight bond created between the finasteride and the Type 2 5AR, that even if you discontinue taking finasteride altogether, it will require two weeks for your DHT level to return to your baseline levels. So, a variation in the daily dosage is really inconsequential.

So, take just one quarter of a tablet once / day. The time of day doesn't really matter. Nor does it matter if you take it with or without food.

When you are getting a physical examination or are having laboratory tests on your blood, inform your doctor that you are taking finasteride. Finasteride will decrease the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) level by approximately 50%.
Assessing the PSA level is a screening test for possible prostate cancer.

Richard Lee, M.D.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
When you go back on minoxidil.. use some folligen at night to normalize scalp condition.

Stingray

Reaction score
God that man is smart. Props to you Dr. Lee!

bombscience

Reaction score
richlocks said:
When you go back on minoxidil.. use some folligen at night to normalize scalp condition.

Can you explain this to me a bit more. How will folligen benefit my condition?

Thanks.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah Dr. Lee is smart and very good about returning emails.

Most of them are cut and pasted to reflect his answers to hundreds of common questions.

However, if you ask him something unique he will actually TYPE his response :rockon:

bombscience

Reaction score
Yeah his reply was both typed and cut and pasted. He told me what in my regimen I should be doing and what I shouldn't. Thanks Dr. Lee.

bombscience

Reaction score
Here's an update.

No minoxidil on Friday, Saturday or Today. nizoral on Friday, TGel yesterday, going to use nizoral when I shower tonite.

My scalp loves me now. It's healing up and i dont see those red patches any more. Can't wait to try that PPG free minoxidil from Dr. Lee and hopefully regrows some of my it intelligence, er, i mean hair.

Tim

Reaction score
Cut proscar in 4 or 5 pieces?

I got some questions on the Dr. Lee comment:
Why does Dr. Lee recommends to cut the proscar i 4 pieces, and not 5? If I take the 1.25 mg proscar, is it then OK to have a Finasteride-free day on the 5. day?

bombscience

Reaction score
Re: Cut proscar in 4 or 5 pieces?

Tim said:
I got some questions on the Dr. Lee comment:
Why does Dr. Lee recommends to cut the proscar i 4 pieces, and not 5? If I take the 1.25 mg proscar, is it then OK to have a Finasteride-free day on the 5. day?

I think he says that's because it's easiest to cut the pill into fourths. I wouldn't say that taking the every fifth day off is an option, but you could always try.

If your body needs 8 hours of sleep a night, and you sleep 10 hours 4 nights, the 5th night you'll still need sleep, even though you've had an extra 8 hours.

G

do you need to pay? does he do exams by pictures, like could i email him my hair and he could tell me what kind of hair loss it is?

hopewas

Reaction score
i kind of laughed when i read ded's last post and looked at his title as experienced poster

G

lol dam i became an experienced poster in 3 days. i think i have a posting addiction.

G

2 days and my hairs neva been greasier! another satisfied customer.