Drugs/herbal supplements that are proven to lower cortisol?

physicalism

Reaction score
I have diffuse thinning. I also have high cortisol levels (blood test). Here's the thing: I know what I should be doing to systemically change how I respond to stress. (Meditation, Exercise, etc...)

But for the time being, I could use a kick-start/helping hand that could help either a) inhibit cortisol production , or b) control and promote a healthy response to stress.

** What pharmaceuticals/herbal supplements have been scientifically confirmed to lower cortisol? What " " are suspected to?

If you have any experience taking adaptogens or have any experience taking supplements with specific aim to control stress. Let me know what worked for you and what did not. Also, let me know how much you took, and if possible, the details of what you took.

*To me, successful supplementation just means better mood/lower stress. In this case, the measure of success is not dependent upon hair growth. That would be an added benefit.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
a single test on cortisol means little... u gotta do testing all throughout the day.

Cortisol optimal range:
Noon: 3.0 – 6.0
5 PM: 2.0 – 4.0
10 Pm: <1.5
2-4 AM: <1.0

mostly from Dr. HingHau Tsang
How to increase cortisol:
1) Experience daily stress (work deadlines, family demands, bills, traffic)
2) Get less than 8 hours sleep each night
3) Calorie restriction diet
4) over-exercise / over-training

How to reduce cortisol
1) Exercise, sleep, meditation, yoga
2) Avoid refined sugars, alcohol, caffeine
3) supplements – ashwagandha (Withanaia) and phosphatidylserine (with magnolia officinalis and L-theanine for anxiety) this reduced cortisol levels immediately. http://tsangenterprise.com/cortisol.htm
4) melatonin, 5-htp for insomnia
6) Rhodiola crenulata and Ginkgo biloba reduce cortisol release from exercise. http://www.springerlink.com/content/d3n75r1782j3g760/

I personally find supplements useless and for memory that includes adaptogenic herbs.
My advice is to just give something ago, let time pass and then evaluate it. Eventually you’ll find something that works/clicks for you.

Cortisol directly suppression testicular biosynthesis (testosterone) http://www.eje-online.org/content/89/1/126.short . This means instead of going to test for cortisol very 5 seconds you can just test anything that testosterone affects like grip strength, lean body mass eta.

physicalism

Reaction score
@ antman -- thanks for the thorough information. I have decided to start with one of these:

- Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health (Mainly because I am a sucker for the positive reviews on amazon, but this one includes many ingredients like ashwagandha, rhodiola, holy basil, schisandra, and wild oats)
- New Chapter Rhodiolaforce (300 mg)
- Nature's Way Rhodiola Rosea
- New Chapter Stress Take Care (Also a mixture of ingredients)

I guess my question is, should I opt for supplementing with a specific herb at first to gauge efficacy or just start with a popular, well-reviewed "multi-herb supplement"?

And could any of these supplements have adverse interactions with minoxidil or finasteride?