Drumrat Story - (47)

Doogey

Reaction score
Hello all,

Nothing new here...

I am in my late 40's and have been very, very fortunate most of my life, as I seem to have a full head of hear, and youthful looks to go with it. Good genes I suppose. (I look like a boy in my 30's).

I have had no problem with my hair until 1 year ago, when I noticed some thinning. (I am 47 years old). I know I have been very fortunate but I didn't think about hairloss problems until now, and find myself panicked about the prospect of losing my hair. I had tried some Rogaine, first the liquid, then the foam, and found that it either dried my scalp out causing irritation, or was turned off by the possibility of shed-seasons, where the longer hairs on my head could also fall out (to be replaced by what? peach fuzz? No way, I still have some very long hair at my age).

So, I am on this journey, trying to find solutions, natural + medicinal, that won't break my pocket book.

tooyoungforthiscrap

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Drumrat Story - Newbie!

Welcome to the forums man! Got some good news for you if you want to keep the hair you have and maybe thicken it up, all you need is a prescription for finasteride. It's marketed in 1mg pills under propecia, but they sell it in 5mg pills under the name proscar as well and it's a LOT cheaper. (you just have to cut the pills into 4s or 5ths.

1mg/ 1.25mg of proscar a day will prevent DHT from miniaturizing your hair and making it fall out. There is a small chance of some scary side effects, mostly lower sex drive and ejaculation problems but they're pretty rare.

If you want to regrow the thinning hair, try finasteride alone for at least 6 months because it alone may thicken it up. If not, jump back on that minoxidil (rogaine). You will also notice most people fighting hair loss with these 2 products use Nizoral shampoo 2 or 3x a week, which you can pick up anywhere that sells shampoo. It's not marketed for hair regrowth, but it's amazing stuff and should really help you with that irritation you mentioned. All together these products make up the "big 3" you will hear a lot from now on. You should be able to hold on to that hair for a long time, I'd kill for my hair to last that late into my 40s (I'm 19 with diffuse thinning all over the top of my head, really blows.) you did the right thing by catching it early.

GL!

Doogey

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply.

I am hoping to get on some Proscar, as I have had *some slight* prostate issue last winter time, but have since brought my PSA score way down to it's lowest since (I don't know when), so I have some basis for obtaining it from my doctor as a preventive.

I am wary of Rogaine, as I still have much long hair and am afraid it will simply replace the long hairs nearby with peach fuzz, after some proverbial dreaded "shed periods". I am considering using Emu oil (once I find out more about it, and where to get the quality stuff); am also interested in Spectra DNC-L, just because it has Proanthrocyanidins (for frontal regrowth), Saw Palmetto oil, Olive oil, Flaxseed oil, as Omega 3/6's can all have an inhibitory factory in the scalp (and as I understand it, some DHT is made in the scalp). My only problem with it, of course, is that it contains Minoxidil. Wish they made a non-minoxidil version. There is also Revivogen, it seems, which has some of these ingredients, but not more like S-DNC-L.

I'm sorry I don't got pictures to post (yet), but my issue is my hairline and my part, which goes down the center of my head. I am starting to see more of the white of my head now. I believe the things I am currently taking help to slow things down, but not enough for me, and certainly no real healthy re-growth (I seem to lose about 3-6 hairs in the shower as far as I can see anyways; but to be replaced with more miniaturized and shorter hairs).

Anyways, good to be a part of this forum, and am looking forward to giving and receiving support...

<peace out/>

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score

Just so you know. Get on finasteride now, fast fast fast. At the age you are, every hair you lose to DHT might be to damaged to regrow back. Moral of this story is that it is easier to keep your hair than to regrow hair so DON"T WAIT AROUND< GET ON finasteride NOW!

I am in my late 40's and finasteride has been great for me.

Doogey

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply...I am looking into getting it.

..however, sunce DHT is also made in the scalp, I am also looking into topical solutions as well. I have been reading up on Spectra-DNC-L which has some very impressive list of ingredients, but I am not a fan of Minoxidil. There is the Revita shampoo this company also makes, which doesn't have minoxidil but it also doesn't have the phytosterol complex, the Arginine, the Adenosine, etc. And it's really a shampoo, which means to me it won't stay on your head long, as it evetually gets rinsed out (though I have thought about using it as a leave in conditioner at night, possibly).

Doogey

Reaction score
Just to reply, that recently I did get prescribed Proscar, with 30 pills of 5mg each (a month supply) for $10.00US. So, I am going to be trying that.

The reason was due to some recent prostrate issues, but are no longer current (flaxseed meal is a great thing), but was also prescribed to me, just because my DHT level was very high, which essentially is cannibalizing my free testosterone. (DHT blood serum level was 120 ng/dl, when the top range should be no higher that 85 according to LabCorp report).

Still am looking into topicals, and am trying Spectral-RS (the non-minoxidil version), but may need to try the minoxidil version Spectral-DNC-L. I am just concerned that the other healthy and otherwise long hairs on my head will be affected, and fallout, or that the hair that grows back will simply be peach fuzz.

Thanks, though, for your input...

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Your right. My Lab corp says anything over a range of 85 is to high. If your "DHT blood serum level was 120 ng/dl", then you are slamming your scalp hair hard, and who knows how much longer you can do that without causing inflammation and damage.

Inquiring minds want to know how long had you been on your current listed regime when you took your DHT test? (If you had been on it, say, a month, seems it should have brought your DHT levels down)

My DHT is 24, and I even grew back some hair.

Doogey

Reaction score
Mt regimen is actually in flux, as now I am adding finasteride.

...but for my age, I started noticing thinning just a little over a year ago, surprisingly. I have always been a "late bloomer" as it were. So last year I started using the Nioxin system. Did wonders for the overall look, feel, and cleanliness of my scalp and hair, but my hair kept thinning in slow motion of course. I still only seem to lose around 6-10 visible hairs in the shower (I'm sure more than that I lose). It's just that I didn't even lose that much, say 2 years ago (yes, believe it or not). So, over this last year, I can see that the shafts of my hair are actually much thinner, there is less hair on my hairline, and part as well (I part down the middle). I can actually see my scalp. Many of my hairs are just wisps hanging on for dear life.

So, my rate of loss is still slightly exceeding my rate of growth. But just that over the last year and a half, I can now see the hand writing on the wall. I have read and agree that the time to act is now, not five years from now. I have been very accustomed to having think luscious bangs for sooo long, that now I am in a panic.

Anyways, during this last year, I had tried but did not like the Minoxidil, as it really smelled, and I was concerned about losing the good long strands of hair next to the ones turning into little wisps on fuzz on my head. I was concerned that I would have the dreaded shed, but that the replaced hair would turn out to be peach fuzz. So I stopped my Rogaine only after a month or so.

I have also been using Nioxin Follicle booster, as it is plentiful, can get it at most salon places, and which packs a lot of great ingredients in it, and seems to stimulate the scalp with the cayenne pepper (or capscsim?) ingredients (other ingredients: caffeine, many B vitamins, Hops, Carnitine, Arginine, SOD, an many more). But don't know how well it get's absorbed. Nevertheless, I like this product and intend to continue using it (although I am thinking of mixing and creating my own topical).

I believe at my age, the issue may not only be DHT, but also circulation as well. The skin on my head also looks thinner (as well as the skin everywhere on my body-- I can now see the outlines of my veins on my arms). So I am looking at ingredients that can assist in circulation of the small capillaries as well, or things that are anti-oxidants as well.

Currently, I am trying the Spectral-RS product, along with their Revita shampoo. The problem for me with their shampoo (and this goes for Nizoral as well), is that they are very drying, and I *don't* have an oily scalp to begin with. So what happens is that after I use Nizoral or Revita, I still need to add a conditioner on after-wards, or I will end up pulling out some hair just when I brush it or dry it with a towel. Heck, even adding some conditioner after use of one or the other product still pulls out some of my hair out. That is why I can't use Revita every day like they say you should. My scalp is already on the normal to dry side, so I *need* Nioxin shampoos and conditioners just to keep my scalp and hair moist.

As far as Spectral-RS is concerned, I am very impressed with their ingredients, but think it still falls short. They needed to add certain ingredients from their Spectral-DNC-L product into the RS (non-minoxidil) version. They needed to put in the Olive Oil/Saw Palmetto/Flaxseed oil mixture, as part of their nanosome encapsulation vehicle. They also needed to include the L-Arginine into their RS product, as far as I am concerned. I don't see much Anti-DHT stuff in their RS product either. Just another reason to create my own topical, as I have an idea of what I need, I just can't the products I want to have them.

Anyways, this has been a long posting...

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
I wonder if I would be bothered by baldness if I were on my late 40s :( ...

I still have 40 more years to live with my self!

Try looking at it this way. Would Tom Cruse or Brad Pit say "why be bothered by balding"? They are in there 40s.

Do I just let my teeth go to hell cause I hit 40? I could if I always had bad teeth, I would be used to them and would not care.

Specifically for me, I always had such great hair all my life till about 45 when I saw some minor thinning at the crown, I really could not just say "why bother". I am so use to having great hair!

The dentist says I can keep great teeth my whole life if I take care of them, so why not! And why not for hair too.

What if your wife lets her self go after age 40, my god! I plan to stay and feel young, I do way more now in my 40s better than I ever did when young, sex included.

amsch

Reaction score
JOE-91 said:
Hair is a totally different matter at 40. Most men are at least balding, and a lot are close to or are totally bald by 40. I wouldn't give two shits if I was bald at 40 as long as I didn't have an abnormal head. Just because your balding at 40 and buzz it off doesn't mean your letting yourself go by any means, I think a lot of older men that are fit and healthy that rock the bald look are far more cool than the guys with a full head of hair that are just standard boring guys otherwise.

You're 18 my friend, you have no idea what you are talking about. Come back in 22 years and tell us that you are confident about your baldness, because you're 40.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
its always funny hearing guys talk about hair loss not being a problem when your older.

Losing your hair must be pretty devastating in your teens, i do understand that, but in your 40s doesnt mean you dont care about how u look.

im in my 30s and still have the same mentality about life that i had in my teens and 20s. that prob wont change even in my 40s and 50s if i reach them that is. in truth my social life is even better now.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes very true, at a young age it can be more devastating because it just shouldn't happen so young and all, true. No one is arguing that point.

The point is in response to the attitude that, just cause you reach 40, it does not mean it is any easier to watch yourself go bald. If you have something for so long you get use to it and you expect it to be there because you liked it too. I made the comparison to teeth. Who would just say, ah I am 45, who cares if I loose one of my front teeth".

Of coarse there are older MEN out there that don't bother about balding, actually I would say allot. It does not mean I want to look like any of them. It is a matter of personal taste which direction one goes.

Doogey

Reaction score
Okay, I'll take a chance...here is a link to my profile pic on facebook:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v22942/1207 ... 9_6546.jpg

Hopefully, this is viewable for you...

I agree with the previous post... I've had mine so long, and now it is being "taken away" from me... never had to worry about my hair before this point. My hair looks great in this pic, but what you don't see is that my front/middle part is thinning horribly, where a strong hairline used to be (hence why I turn to the side). How do I go through life with a gap in the front/middle of my head...? (I am also thinning diffusely on the sides-- it's just hidden very well.)

Like someone else said before me, it is easier to keep what you got, so that is also what I am trying to do too...

~drumrat