Dry hair

bluenun

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good product available in the UK to add moisture to my hair?

It has always been a bit on the dry side but I think using Nizoral has made it worse.

At the moment I am using Loreal body boost conditioner non stop volume after shampooing which is ok for making the most of what I have but it does not seem to moisturise or condition my hair at all.

G

I suggest you drink more Water. This helps the body renew it's cells. You will also have nice shiny healthy hair as a result. That's the simple way.....

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you used Dove shampoo and conditioner they are pretty good for dry hair.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
people people use emu oil has a conditioner. There are a few other natural oil extracts that may work too.

bluenun

Reaction score
Traxdata, I am drinking at least 3 litres of water a day plus freshly juiced freshfruits and vegetables.

Bert, thanks for the suggestion of Dove.

Matgallis I will read up a bit on Emu oil, thanks.

polster

Reaction score
go to the health store and buy yourself 100% Organic Jojoba Oil! something like Desert Essence brand:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/browse/sku ... archResult

Put this on after you take a shower or even add it to your shampoo or conditioner!

Problem with EMU oil is it goes bad very quickly! The reason that jojoba is such a great choice as a hair conditioner and moisturizer is that the molecular structure of jojoba is very similar to the natural oil that is produced by the sebaceous glands in the scalp. This natural scalp oil is known as "sebum".

more info here:
http://www.1001herbs.com/jojoba-oil/

The Gardener

Reaction score
I had a similar issue, and it seemed the more I tried to moisturize the worse my hair felt. Well, on a suggestion, I made a change and remedied the situation...

Nizoral, and moisturizing shampoos in general (which is what you say you are using) can both promote buildup in hair, which often times gives your hair a coarse feel.

My suggestion would be to add in a chelating, or buildup removing shampoo to your regimen, use it once every two or three weeks. Give it a shot, see if it helps. First time I used a buildup removing shampoo, and rinsed and dried, I was stunned at how smooth my hair felt. Good buildup removers include Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3, and Joico Chelating which is a bit stronger and is what I use.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Emu oil is excellent. Trust me, you will have no dry scalp problems if you start using that stuff.
Don't use it too close to the time of your minoxidil apps, though. It causes increased systemic absorbtion.
I assume the same would be true with other tops.

EDIT: I hate side-scrolling!

The Gardener

Reaction score
I repeat my advice, I think it is one of the best nuggets of advice as a Veteran poster that I can give.

Moisturizing shampoos create a lot of buildup on hair. I think they do in fact moisturize, but often times the moisturizers in the shampoo are nothing more than oil and fat, which over time weigh down hair and give you shitty texture. I thought my hair was terribly dry, and I constantly searched for new and better moisturizing shampoos to compensate. The more I moisturized and moisturized, the coarser and more straw-like my hair got.

Believe me, just try a buildup removing shampoo at least ONCE. You can get mini-bottles of Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 at many beauty supply shops, and I think Rite Aid carries it as well. Try it a few times in a week, say a Tuesday and Thursday. By cleaning off the built up residues, the moisturizing effect of shampoos can reach the actual hairshafts and not just add to the existing gunk. I think that every person who uses moisturizing shampoos regularly should mix in a buildup remover every so often. I have no scientific data to prove this, no anecdotal reports.. its just me out here... standing up and telling this forum that this made a very, VERY beneficial difference in my hair quality.

bluenun

Reaction score
Thanks to anyone that topk the time to reply.

dbaser, I will keep that Aussie moist in mind. I noticed that my local Boots stocked a good range of Aussie products.

Temples, I am not using minoxidil (just nizoral and Pro) and do not have a dry scalp. Dry hair is my concern.

The Gardener, interesting suggestion so I just went out and bought some build up remover shampoo.

How would I best fit it into my regimen?

I have fine hair so was using nizoral (leave on 10 mins) then loreal elvive thickening shampoo then loreal elvive body boost conditioner.

After the nizoral should I use the build up remover shampoo and then the thickening shampoo?

I also bought Provitamin leave in conditioner for dry/damged hair, should I use this alswell as or instead of the loreal elvive body boost conditioner?

The Gardener

Reaction score
bluenun said:
The Gardener, interesting suggestion so I just went out and bought some build up remover shampoo.

How would I best fit it into my regimen?

I suggest using it once or twice a month, assuming that you notice a positive change in your hair texture after the first time you use it.

Petchsky

Reaction score
bluenun said:
I have fine hair so was using nizoral (leave on 10 mins) then loreal elvive thickening shampoo then loreal elvive body boost conditioner.

You may also want to try leaving it on for 3/5 mins instead of ten, as this can dry the scalp out pretty bad too.

bluenun

Reaction score
Ok, I will give it a try tonight Gardener.

Thanks for the suggestion Petchsky, will the nizoral still have the desired effect if only left on for 3-5 minutes though?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Yeah. 3/5 mins is the required time that it states on the bottle...and that is how long i use it for...along with a good conditioner.