Dutasteride .. been shedding for one year, thinking of going back on finasteride .. thoughts?

heisenberg

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anybody has had a similar experience to mine.

- I've been losing my hair since I was 15, although I never really noticed/accepted it could be male pattern baldness until I was 17

-I've been on 1.25mg finasteride and rogaine foam consistently since I was 18 (2010)

-I suddenly noticed good regrowth from the Summer of 2011 up until the the end of the year, when I ran out of minoxidil and had to wait for 2 and a half weeks for a new shipment

-From 2012 my hair got a little thinner, but relatively maintained

-I decided to get on Dutasteride Feb. 2013, I immediately stopped finasteride. Now I've been continually shedding for year. I've read on forums to "ride out the shed", but it's been so long. My hair is worse than when I started Dutasteride, considerably in the left temple where my hair has become noticeably thinner!

Does any one have experience with Dutasteride sheds? Should I switch to finasteride, slowly decreasing my Dutasteride dosage to 1 once a week until I am done my last prescription? Has anyone experienced a big shed from going from dutasteride to finasteride or an improvement for that matter?

Just some other info - I'm currently 22 and a diffuse thinner, with light shining on my head, I can see a Norwood 5/5A pattern forming with an island of hair on the front. I also recently realized I have triangular alopecia as well, I always thought my hair was just like that and now I notice it looking back at old pictures - i.e. I have a small circular patch about size of a loonie on the side of my head beside my temple that's thinner than the surrounding area. According to the internet, the causes are unknown, it's just unfortunate I have it alongside male pattern baldness!

Thanks,

Any advice would be much appreciated!

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
-I decided to get on Dutasteride Feb. 2013, I immediately stopped finasteride. Now I've been continually shedding for year. I've read on forums to "ride out the shed", but it's been so long. My hair is worse than when I started Dutasteride, considerably in the left temple where my hair has become noticeably thinner!

Same story. I've been on finasteride for last 12 years, added dutasteride a few months ago, and had a big shed. I can't lose any more hair. I'm going to drop dutasteride, and go back to finasteride only.

Have you made the switch to go back to finasteride? Has the shed stopped? Any improvement?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Same story. I've been on finasteride for last 12 years, added dutasteride a few months ago, and had a big shed. I can't lose any more hair. I'm going to drop dutasteride, and go back to finasteride only.

Have you made the switch to go back to finasteride? Has the shed stopped? Any improvement?
I have a similar story. Added dutasteride once per week and this year had the most loss. Been off it a month, but still shedding. My hair line took the biggest hit. I have been on Finasteride for 10 years. I just think my genetics are finally getting their way.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The possible issue is the dutasteride is not legit. I would not completely stop finasteride just in case.

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with Doctor house , after using 10 years of finasteride ( Although I know his in NW2 ish ) the genetics may start to affect again.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
The possible issue is the dutasteride is not legit. I would not completely stop finasteride just in case.
I was using legitimate Advodart that I got from my local pharmacy because I had a prescription for it.

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
I was using legitimate Advodart that I got from my local pharmacy because I had a prescription for it.

DoctorHouse , I know you had much more experience and Info from me , Since you are a long-time respectful poster .

But I just want to share my thoughts in your case.

1-what do you think about switching to dutasteride 0.5mg EOD or everyday ? I know you may don't want to do that because of sides

but there is a possibility that you don't get side from it.

2-How about Proxiphen ? Does it loose the efficiency too?

3- Or adding low dosage of RU in a good vehicle like K &B or maybe try other experimentals like Seti as a pgd2 blocker to keep your hair. ?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
DoctorHouse , I know you had much more experience and Info from me , Since you are a long-time respectful poster .

But I just want to share my thoughts in your case.

1-what do you think about switching to dutasteride 0.5mg EOD or everyday ? I know you may don't want to do that because of sides

but there is a possibility that you don't get side from it.

2-How about Proxiphen ? Does it loose the efficiency too?

3- Or adding low dosage of RU in a good vehicle like K &B or maybe try other experimentals like Seti as a pgd2 blocker to keep your hair. ?
I got sides with dutasteride so I can't use it. Proxiphen I guess is doing the best it can. I am hesitant to use experimental drugs I know nothing about the long term side effects. I know Proxiphen is experimental but I trust Proctor.

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
I got sides with dutasteride so I can't use it. Proxiphen I guess is doing the best it can. I am hesitant to use experimental drugs I know nothing about the long term side effects. I know Proxiphen is experimental but I trust Proctor.

Oh so you are not using proxiphen at the moment ? Ok I see . and your logic is make sense.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Oh so you are not using proxiphen at the moment ? Ok I see . and your logic is make sense.
No, I am using Proxiphen.