Eclipta alba grows hair in rodents faster than minoxidil

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Eclipta Alba Extract Grows Hair Quicker than Minoxidil

From the blog post:

Shaved rats treated with the petroleum ether extract of Eclipta alba began growing new hair significantly faster than rats in the control group. Whereas the control rats took 12 days to initiate hair growth, the petroleum ether extract rats took only 5 to 6 days, with the stronger ointment being slightly more effective. The time it took to completely cover the shaved area in hair was also decreased from 24 days to 20 days.

Petroleum ether extract also increased the length of the hair follicles, similarly to minoxidil.

Conversion from telogen to anagen phase was observed in 87.5% of the mice treated with the stronger methanol extract (3.2 mg/kg) and in 50% of the rats treated with the weaker extract (1.6 mg/kg). This was evidenced by the increased number of follicles in the subcutis layer and a thickening of the skin. The total number of follicles was also increased. None of the control rats showed a similar effect.

Possible explanations are wedelolactone and beta-sitosterol, which are found in methanol and petroleum ether extracts but not in ethanol extracts (or, at least not in the one used in the study). Wedelolactone appears to reduce androgen receptor expression and beta-sitosterol inhibits 5-alpha-reductase. These two studies seem to indicate that they work topically as well.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
The leaf extract is considered to be powerful liver tonic, rejuvenative, and especially good for the hair.

The herb Eclipta alba contains mainly coumestans which is estrogenic.

G

When I first discovered hair loss back in November, I read ALOT of comments from herbal websites saying the ingredients amla, shikakai, bhringraj (Eclipta alba), and neem are very good for hair growth and hair health. They are used in Indian often as a treatment for hair loss but I do not know if they work....

I currently use Amla oil as part of my regimen, which I think (I have to check) contains bhringraj in it (if it doesn't, my shampoo must have, as I know I'm using it from somewhere)

That lotion looks good, anyone going to try it?

Jacob

Reaction score
johnny b said:
i think its in elsoms new shampoo for gray hair.

Indeed it is. Great stuff btw..like it better than their other at the moment.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well the problem with rats is that their anatomy is just a little different to that of humans so i wouldn't jump to the conclusion of a treatment
i wish they would stop using rats because they don't really give a good indication of a medicines effect on humans, just a probability that it wouldn't kill a human if it doesn't kill a rat

i also see a lack of numeric data for this claim

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
somone uk said:
well the problem with rats is that their anatomy is just a little different to that of humans so i wouldn't jump to the conclusion of a treatment
i wish they would stop using rats because they don't really give a good indication of a medicines effect on humans, just a probability that it wouldn't kill a human if it doesn't kill a rat

i also see a lack of numeric data for this claim

Rats are remarkably similar to humans. That's why they are used in studies so often.

But you are right, the anatomies are just a little different. It seems that something working in rats is not a guarantee it works in humans, but it is a pretty good indicator.

The numeric data is there in the blog post as well as in the full paper.