Eean's situation (22 and dupa?)

eean

Reaction score
hi guys! been lurking this site for quite some time now and thought id liek to share my story and hopefully get some insight onto my

im a 21, Asian male that had a thick head of hair back in the day. my family does have a history of balding but not until well into thier 50's on both sides. Ive been starting to thin and shed relatively mildly all over the scalp for about the past 4 years.

when i was 18 i went through a vegan phase and started smoking cigarettes. a couple months after i noticed my hair getting progressively greaser and i began to wash my hair more. my face (espeically the "T-zone") also became crazy greasy, especially the nose, in a matter of 1 hour post shower, there will be a greasy sheen. so as i began to wash my hair a daily basis, i began to notice more and more hairs in my hands while i shampooed and in the hair catcher, as well as when i ran my fingers thro my hair during the day. it was never anything traumatic, only 10-20 hairs a day that id catch. thought nothing of it and attributed it my diet and lifestyle and put it off for a couple years as i weened out my smoking and veganism.

about 1 and half ago, i noticed that my hair was not as thick as it once was and it become really fine and thin. my greasy scalp and face also didnt go away and i continued to regularly find hairs while i showered/ran my fingers through my hair. i alos went through wierd phases where i didnt find any shed hairs in the shower for days on end, but then have a massive shed of 40 in one day. this combined with the fact that my hairdresser made a comment on how my individual hairs were pretty thin, kinda got me freaked out so i decided to consult my GP which told me to wait it out and see what happens. he did the whole bloodwork and everything and it came back neg.

Even if its still not noticeable to people, i feel my hair becoming flatter and thinner as time goes by. i think this is due to my longer style of hair but i have noticed my hair have become alot thinner and wispier than i used to be, espeically on the sides and browsing this forum and baldingblog, im pretty convinced i have Diffuse Unpatterened.

im presently 3 1/2 months in on proprecia as prescribed by my GP and i have noticed a bit less shedding and a less greasy face and scalp but that aside no thickening or regrowth. ive also started to pop a multivitamin daily and on occasion contiue use my nizoral (long before i realized that it helped block dht) when my scalp gets dandruffy and dry. i also stopped smoking regulary and started to eat meat and peace my veganism

its really not as bad as one might think and its going quite slow, and ive never really been a big fan of hair anyway. but i guess somedays i just mildly freak cause id really rather have a full head of hair than be a baldy during my early 20's and brood and jsut the thoughts of it become all consuming. freaky.

anyway here are some pics! (sorry bout the maaad blurs)

while damp after a shower...

walla017.jpg

its not really that bad at all, and ive always had a high hairline...

walla018.jpg

gnarly, this is what gets me all worried sometimes and paraniod abotu cutting my hair short

walla003.jpg

when its dryer!

walla002.jpg

walla005.jpg

walla014.jpg

walla006.jpg

thinning not noticeable at all on a normal day!

walla010.jpg

walla007.jpg

any tips or info? especially on maintence of my hair? most importantly the sides of my head?

thanks for reading!

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
You need to give finasteride more than 3.5 months before you should expect regrowth. In fact, a better expectation of finasteride is maintenance. Since your hair loss is early (if you have any at all, I'm not really sure if that's considered hair loss rather than just a maturing hair line), I think minoxidil would be helpful to you. The foam is easy to apply, especially if you're only applying it to a small area.

barcafan

Reaction score
I have the exact same thing and i hear its much harder to control than regular male pattern baldness

eean

Reaction score
yea ive discussed rogain with another friend who is going thro... more "conventional" balding, and i dont think its really right for me?

like im not balding or receeding per say, but jsut more of an overall thinness? i still have a full head of hair and my hairline is basically the same as it was when i was 16 or something (with mild temple hair maturation). but if it works, it may be an option though if and when my hair gets worse down the road...

barcafan

Reaction score
I know alot of users will probably bash on this, but Try using a decent shampoo (Including nizoral), because its applied all over your head whereas minoxidil would be a b**ch to do.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with greasy T-zone and i'm asian as well go figure. The greasy skin and hair is just due to dht, which as receptor sites on the scalp and forehead. I'm almost 30, and its still the same as when I hit puberty, sighs. When I discovered nizoral, it helped alot, use it about 3x a week. good luck.

eean

Reaction score
yea i use nizoral reg, i jsut hope that propecia will help me maintain good!

thanks for all the input!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your hair loss is really minor, finasteride will thicken it up nicely, give it a yr to evaluate the change.

eean

Reaction score
yea its really minor. jsut scared my side thinning will get really bad if i cut it short and ill be perma mohawked ahahaha.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I dont think he needs treatment yet.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:

Are you serious? Take another look at the pictures. In the second pic check out the temple recession, The crown is clearly starting to go and the hair just looks unhealthy and ravaged by dht, his side hair is almost non-existant! So I think if not start finasteride now then when?? When he is completely bald?

Its gotta be now.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
RaginDemon said:

Are you serious? Take another look at the pictures. In the second pic check out the temple recession, The crown is clearly starting to go and the hair just looks unhealthy and ravaged by dht, his side hair is almost non-existant! So I think if not start finasteride now then when?? When he is completely bald?

Its gotta be now.

I dont see too much problem with the crown, and the temple recession you mentioned could be a mature hairline.

eean

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
metalheaddude said:
RaginDemon said:

Its gotta be now.

I dont see too much problem with the crown, and the temple recession you mentioned could be a mature hairline.

well my hairline has always been naturally high. i think my hairstyle also hides alot of the thinning with its length, but over the 4 years of shedding im pretty sure im diffusing all over. there is no doubt that my hair is pretty sh*t. its not soo brutal that its noticable yet but still.

im actually ON propecia right now? im creeping on about 4 months now. and its seems like its slowed down alot. i still shed hairs here and there. but i rarely lose more than 5 hairs when i wash my hair daily.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
dude 5 hair during shower is NOTHING,

eean

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:

nono i know! jsut sayign that after 4 months on propecia, its working.

no longer do i shed massive amounts of hair durign my shower! i jsut hope i thicken up nicely and this trend continues

thanks for all the input guys!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
best of luck man!

metalheaddude

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:

lol! I couldnt agree more. 5 hairs are u serious!? id lose at least 50 everytime i shower and wash my hair and that doesnt include what I lose during the day, but my hair just looks the same even after larger than normal sheds. The meds are working to maintain obviously, its just the cycle.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
i can pull 5 hair out easily any time lol