Either it's snowing in June... or it's just my flaking scalp

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on Propecia nearing three months. The first month, there wasn't much change in anything. The shedding began about a month and a half ago, and has yet to stop.

A few weeks ago, I started noticing these little white flakes in my hair. It wasn't too bad then, but now, it there are these patches of flaking/peeling skin all around my scalp.

Is this flaking the same as the "irriatation" and "inflammation" that Propecia commonly causes? I'm also using 5% Rogaine, but I do not think that it is the cause of this flaking, as I've been using it for almost one year with no previous flaking. There's some mild itching, but nothing unbearable. The flaking, however, is starting to bother me.

I've been on Nizoral for about three weeks. Should this do the trick? How long should it take to be effective, and is there something else I might do to combat this flaking?

Thanks!

under20

Established Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that Propecia isnt causing u to flake. It doesnt do that. Its most likely the minoxidil, but if ur sure that aint it, I know its the nizoral. When i first started using nizoral it made me flake and I couldnt figure out y, cause i thought it helps that. but I figured out it was the nizoral because I didnt use a good conditioner after the nizoral. Nizoral is really drying. I use a good conditioner right after nizoral and leave it in for 2-3 minutes and all the flaking is gone. Hope this helps

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, that makes a LOT of sense to me. Now that I think about it, I have definitely heard about Nizoral causing dry hair/scalp. I'll try that out, thanks!

Deaner

Reaction score
Yea, I thought about this just the other day, after crazily scratching my head on a day to day basis trying to rid myself of these flakes. I'd scratch until I couldn't scratch anymore. Now I've just given up, the flakes aren't that bad, and they aren't at all noticable unless I scratch your scalp, so whatever.

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can live with the flakes, I was just concerned that they were a sign of unhealthy scalp conditions that might hinder the effectiveness of my hairloss treatments.