emjay's story - (25 , diffuse, plus pictures)

emjay

Reaction score
hello,

i thought i would hit these forums and share my experience (still on going).

I have just turned 25 (last week). I started to lose my hair when I was around 18. My father is really bald, and so are the rest of the male seniors in the family. Dad recently had a hair transplant, with no bad results - but something I don't want at the moment.

Anyway, I am in the medical field by profession - so thought I would look into the research, and was surprised to see how much actually information there was out there.

I used to have long hair, and was very proud of it. When I started losing hair, and people noticing, I cut it shorter. This lasted a few years, and then it came through on that! Anyway - I started on minoxidil 2%. That didn't work great, so I moved onto the 5% - used for 6-9 months and great results - but not a full set of hair!!!

Anyway my mum used to pay for my supply, because I was still a student, but stopped buying it me cos she was worried about the side-effects. So I lost loads of hair!!! I am still very down about the whole thing. She bought me a laser comb, which I have been using for 8 months now.

I have pictures of my hair when I got the maximum effect from minoxidil and the loss of hair after 3 months after stopping. The result is shocking!!!

Anyway, I used the lasercomb for 3 months, noticed some improvement, but not as much as minoxidil. In December 2005, I restarted on minoxidil and procerin and got some better results. I have recently started on proscar cut into 4 (so 1.25mg) daily.

I have started shedding a lot over last 2 weeks (I started finasteride nearly 3 weeks ago).

Anyway, as promised some photos!

25.9.05.jpg

this is 3-4 months after stopping minoxidil!

20.10.05.jpg

one month after lasercomb

20.11.05.jpg

2 months after lasercomb

26.12.05.jpg

3 months after lasercomb, not happy with the results (even though some results there) so added minoxidil and procerin

16.1.06.jpg

4 months after lasercomb, 1 month after minoxidil and procerin

11.2.06.jpg

5 months after lasercomb, 2 months after minoxidil and procerin

15.5.06.jpg

8 months after lasercomb, 5 months after minoxidil and procerin, 2 weeks of finasteride (and a fair amount of shedding!)

any comments?

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're definitely having results!

It's a censored word because it has been deemed a scam and is not a recommended treatment here.

I'd also add Nizoral shampoo 2-3x weekly to your regimen.

I also think you should trim all your hair down to a 2 or 3 guard.
'
Good luck with your treatments!

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey emjay,

My comments:

Shave it down bro and move on. I've been on these hairloss boards for a while and at your stage of hairloss there really isnt too much meds can do for ya... I'm not trying to be mean but, what is the point of having peach fuzz on an obviously balding head? Good news, looks like you got a good skull shape to just do a close cropped short hair-cut. With a little work at the gym I bet you'll look like a million bucks man.

Good luck!

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to socks. Keep doing what you're doing or add more. You are getting results and even if u don't get a full head of hair you can always get plugs down the road to finish the job.

Goingat20

Reaction score
hey emjay, your hair improved heeps. Nice work! I think it wont do you any harm in trying to get your hair back (if it doesnt, at least you know you tried) so give it another year and see how things go. As cj pointed out, add nizoral. Things look to only get better so keep at it

emjay

Reaction score
-cj- said:
I'd also add Nizoral shampoo 2-3x weekly to your regimen.

I also think you should trim all your hair down to a 2 or 3 guard.

thanks for your words of support and advice. usually my hair is about a 2 around the sides, and also just trimmed on top. i am due a hair cut within a week, so maybe a hair style change may also help. it helped conceal my initial hair loss.

@ socks: i like ur idea regarding the gym. i just am too lazy to beef myself up for it - lol. hope you are wron tho and that the hair keeps growing. as i said, this time last year i had more hair than i do now. just stopping the minoxidil was shocking within 3 months!

ordered some nizoral as well - 240ml worth and will add it to my regime. hopefully will help. where do you guys normally find the cheapest source? i am in the UK

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
emjay said:
@ socks: i like ur idea regarding the gym. i just am too lazy to beef myself up for it - lol. hope you are wron tho and that the hair keeps growing. as i said, this time last year i had more hair than i do now. just stopping the minoxidil was shocking within 3 months!

Trust me man, I'm rooting for ya I really am. If you want to stick with treatments for the next year or two and see where they bring you I'm 100% behind ya on that. However, I still recommend trying out a closer cropped hair-cut. I would use a hair shaver w/o the guard personally. The meds will help create a 'shadow' of hair stubble up top that will look cosmetically superior (for most men) over a clean bic shave.

I hear ya about the gym but I can guarantee you a regular physical fitness routine will both give you more energy as well as make you feel even better about yourself.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
emjay,
welcome to the forum. this forum typically has NW1.5 or NW2 receders as opposed to slick bald users (very few like you and me). However, you will find many useful information and suggestions here.
Stick to the big 3. I started only close to NW6 (esp. the crown was very bad) and I am moving to NW5 and high NW4. I am getting my hair transplant in a month or so.
Even if you go the hair transplant route you would still be using the big 3 for life. (atleast the finasteride and nizoral).
keep the sides really short. I have to grow them longer as I am getting my hair transplant. I look worse with longer hairs on the sides and the back (the non male pattern baldness area).

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: emjay's story (plus pictures)

:agree:

MEANSTREET

Reaction score

can i see ur before minoxidil shots? stopping it seems to put male pattern baldness into overdrive. im scared lol

RaginDemon

Reaction score

MEANSTREET said:
can i see ur before minoxidil shots? stopping it seems to put male pattern baldness into overdrive. im scared lol

at the current stage, both minoxidil and finasteride require life time commitement. :(