Emu Oil.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"Scientists and farmers from the US have recently shown their interest in spectacular properties of emu products, as well. Several emu farms are now established in the country, and the price for a gallon of emu oil has skyrocketed up to a thousand of dollars, which is still not expensive given the impressive medicinal characteristics of this product. Since only small amounts of the oil are necessary for daily scalp massages, this hair loss treatment still remains an affordable option for balding people.

Emu oil is derived from a thick slab of fat the birds carry on their backs. The fat is melted and rendered into pale-yellow, liquid grease, which contains a mixture of monounsaturated (from 50 to 70 percent, according to different researchers), saturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids. The University of Texas Medical School has carried out a study to determine the exact chemical composition of emu oil. The scientists have found that emu oil contains large amounts of beneficial oleic acid, which may be one of the key reasons why this oil has such an incredible capacity to be quickly absorbed by the skin, carrying along its other unique hair-restoring nutrients.

Emu oil is also known for its striking anti-inflammatory qualities. Without side effects or other unpleasant consequences of using modern anti-inflammatory drugs, emu oil can eliminate numerous symptoms of arthritis and joint inflammation, such as pains, stiffness, and swelling. It can be an effective medication to treat bruises, muscle strains, and muscle aches. Emu oil has also been noted for its ability to neutralize the cytokine tnf-a – an inflammatory substance involved in the development of male-pattern alopecia.

Another medicinal effect of emu oil is its ability to inhibit 5 alpha reductase – a body chemical that is responsible for the conversion of testosterone into DHT. It is known that DHT is strongly implicated in the onset and progression of male-pattern baldness. When emu oil is applied onto balding parts of the scalp, it works to desterilize the DHT-producing components of hair follicles.

Since emu oil is an effective emulsifier, it can also be used to manufacture non-greasy creams and different blends with other medicinal components, which makes it a good base substance for hair-restoring medications with versatile ingredients.

Emu oil is universally praised for its anti-bacterial characteristics, which can be useful in fighting various scalp infections and fungi. In addition, it resists rancidity and has a long shelf life.

Another useful quality of emu fat is that it does not cause irritation – in fact, it can sooth irritated areas of the scalp and treat itchiness and dry, inflamed skin. It does not clog skin pores, nor is it involved in causing rashes or pimples.

Great moisturizing, wound-healing, and anti-aging qualities are a supplementary bonus of emu oil, and they find numerous applications in cosmetic, hair-restoring, and pharmaceutical spheres."

Does anyone use Emu oil on this forum?

There are countless articles on the internet claiming it's regrowth properties , but I have to to see someone actually produce pictures. It seems to be a miracle oil , but no one seems to use it?

http://www.stopnowhairloss.com/2008/04/ ... hair-loss/
http://www.hairloss-research.org/EmuOil ... rowth.html
http://www.emuoilguide.com/Hair_Growth.html
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss-info/emu-oil.htm

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Another medicinal effect of emu oil is its ability to inhibit 5 alpha reductase – a body chemical that is responsible for the conversion of testosterone into DHT.

I'd like to see some scientific references that support that claim. I can't imagine why emu oil would inhibit 5a-reductase.

G

I use Emu Oil as part of my regimen but nothing to report yet, too early to tell.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
decro435 said:
Another medicinal effect of emu oil is its ability to inhibit 5 alpha reductase – a body chemical that is responsible for the conversion of testosterone into DHT.

I'd like to see some scientific references that support that claim. I can't imagine why emu oil would inhibit 5a-reductase.

I agree , but I don't know where to start to look for studies like these. If somebody could point out a certain study that would be helpful. I know a lot of these sites over-exagerrate their products.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying emu oil on one side of my face (including the temple) as an experiment. There is only one study on emu oil and hair growth, and accessing that one is pretty difficult. Apparently it grew hair on mice through telogen->anagen conversion. However, there are no studies that show emu oil prevents 5-alpha-reductase.

See this post for more info: Emu oil: a critical look at the evidence

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
I've also heard good things about emu oil but would like to see something more concrete.

How many people on here use emu oil? Might make a nice compliment to nizoral in shampoo form. I know a few websites that sell emu oil shampoo/conditioner.

Petchsky

Reaction score
AssignmentZero said:
Might make a nice compliment to nizoral in shampoo form. I know a few websites that sell emu oil shampoo/conditioner.

You know that may not be a bad idea, I'll give it a try and report back.

I've been using emu oil, but only to help with a dry scalp after a hair transplant. It has worked very well. This stuff is super greasy though, sometimes use it after applying copper peptides and minoxidil as it helps take it deeper in to the dermis.

Some vendors add saw palmetto oil to their emu oil product, maybe that is where the blocking DHT rumour started...

G

I mixed Emu oil into my Ginseng shampoo and the Emu oil although not very strong in smell, does smell a little on the negative side. As I said, it's a weak smell but I don't like it much.