Ending Job

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about jumping ship. I've been at this job for three months now, which is very little time, but I'm having major issues with transportation which are hurting my work, getting paid very little for many hours, and I'm ultimately very unhappy. I'm also switching career paths.

I have three interviews next week with places where transport is not an issue... Is it alright to quit my job under these circumstances?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah :dunno:

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
If finding a better job is possible, then go for it..

I suggest you read your employment contract.

Your contract might have a probation period clause, during which both parties are sort of allowed to terminate the contract. It's like a loop hole for the company, they reserve the right to kick you out, if they dont like you. Think of it like a trial period.

Or, you might be contractually obliged to give a notice, ie a months notice. If you don't give a notice, you lose your last salary. If you get paid in advance, they might ask you to refund the money.

It's better to live at the beginning.

PS: I'm not actively job hunting, but I'd like to change my employment as well. My current job is way too comfortable but the pay is sh*t and I have no career prospects. I even get 40 days holidays this summer. I need a challenge, at least I want to know where my career is heading. I have applied to ONE job. I'm the perfect candidate for the position but I haven't heard from them :sobbing:

GeminiX

Reaction score
Life is too short to do things you don't enjoy; unless you have financial commitments and need the extra money then get out of there.

I see so many people doing jobs they hate, it can honestly ruin your life.

Cassin

Reaction score
Of course you can quit any time if you feel like you can afford to.

Do your best to finish up anything you're working on as to not hurt any other workers as they are just trying to make a living to. If that's unavoidable at least make a list of notes to help them finish your work.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Of course you can quit any time if you feel like you can afford to.

Do your best to finish up anything you're working on as to not hurt any other workers as they are just trying to make a living to. If that's unavoidable at least make a list of notes to help them finish your work.

I was one of those that left a job in the middle of something. I was trying to be very nice about it, I even offered to come in for an extra week, and help them with the transition.

My first superior was very annoyed with me and didn't accept my help...

So, leaving a job in the middle of something isn't such a big deal.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
@ virtuality...well of course it's situational :)

Well, I've been in enough jobs to know that most of the companies don't care that much who comes or who goes.

In my last job, I was a very good employee. I worked my *** off and I came top of my class in the training, then I did well in my position as well. In my last day I didn't even get a "thanks for your contribution" from the boss. For them I was just another TOOL that completed his mission.

Saying that, I've never worked in a small company environment, I don't count all the part-time jobs that I've been in. I can imagine in a small company environment, a single employee probably has a a bigger role in the overall structure of the company.

I used to feel an attachment to the work I do and the company I work for. In the last few years my opinion has changed to a point where the only thing that matters to me is my own performance. I care more about my own career prospects than the company.

Do you think the managers care about the company or the staff? Their priority is their pay cheques and the performance figures. If they can improve the figures by laying off people, they don't even think twice about it.

If I'm an easily replaceable tool for the company, why should I care? It's not really situational, it's more of a fact.

oni

Reaction score
If you really don't like the position, leave ASAP, within the probationary period (you could say you were taking a break on your CV). If you are undecided, give it 12-18 months.

Managers love making promises (BS more like) in interviews, about the position you are applying for. It is even better when you pull them up about it at the end of the probationary period and inform them that they do understand it is a probationary period for both parties!!! And then inform them that you are sorry that they have failed in securing your skills for the company.............. :whistle:

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
PS,

What the hell is a cv? :dunno:

You serious??

CV=Curriculum vitae=Resume

I thought CV was a universal term? CV has entered almost every European language.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Really appreciate the input guys. I'll divulge more when I have some time! I'll check in tonight, tomorrow, or soon!

Cassin

Reaction score
virtuality said:
Cassin said:
@ virtuality...well of course it's situational :)

Well, I've been in enough jobs to know that most of the companies don't care that much who comes or who goes.

In my last job, I was a very good employee. I worked my *** off and I came top of my class in the training, then I did well in my position as well. In my last day I didn't even get a "thanks for your contribution" from the boss. For them I was just another TOOL that completed his mission.

Saying that, I've never worked in a small company environment, I don't count all the part-time jobs that I've been in. I can imagine in a small company environment, a single employee probably has a a bigger role in the overall structure of the company.

I used to feel an attachment to the work I do and the company I work for. In the last few years my opinion has changed to a point where the only thing that matters to me is my own performance. I care more about my own career prospects than the company.

Do you think the managers care about the company or the staff? Their priority is their pay cheques and the performance figures. If they can improve the figures by laying off people, they don't even think twice about it.

If I'm an easily replaceable tool for the company, why should I care? It's not really situational, it's more of a fact.

Well yeah it is situational and you kind of brought up one of the reasons why. In a small company where you are a part of the business you can become friends with the owner(s), managers and staff.

Small business with the original owner versus a corporate machine are two totally different things.

But in the terms of the topic....3 months? Meh...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like "CV", and I don't even care much for "resume"; I consider them both to be mainly affectations. I much prefer the simple phrase "list of previous employment"! :)

Cassin

Reaction score
virtuality said:
PS,

What the hell is a cv? :dunno:

You serious??
CV=Curriculum vitae=Resume

I thought CV was a universal term? CV has entered almost every European language.

Yes!
I'm with Cassin....not part of the common language in US....What was the term used before starting with CV in Europe?

I asked my GF who does interviews at her job and she had never heard of it either.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I don't like "CV", and I don't even care much for "resume"; I consider them both to be mainly affectations. I much prefer the simple phrase "list of previous employment"! :)

CV is a bit more than "employment history". The CV builds a character by listing education, employment, and other relevant facts, eg hobbies, awards, etc.

Cassin said:
I asked my GF who does interviews at her job and she had never heard of it either.

That comes as a surprise to me. I seriously thought CV was part of the universal business lingo.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
oni said:
If you really don't like the position, leave ASAP, within the probationary period (you could say you were taking a break on your CV). If you are undecided, give it 12-18 months.

Managers love making promises (BS more like) in interviews

Thanks Oni, that's exactly what I did. I put in my two weeks, explained kindly that the issue was (and continues to be) a transportation issue, something they told me wouldn't be an issue at all until a few weeks into it, it becomes a huge issue.

It's not about what you think about the company you are leaving.....it is about what you want the company you want to work for to think about you!
Depending on the position you are seeking....a gap between jobs may hurt you more than "a few" job changes in succession.

I totally hear you on that one. I've been interviewing up and down this past week, and put in countless other applications. Ultimately, I may not get something, but my last job was so horrible (and being the first job out of grad school, I think it's less bad.

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Oni, that's exactly what I did. I put in my two weeks, explained kindly that the issue was (and continues to be) a transportation issue, something they told me wouldn't be an issue at all until a few weeks into it, it becomes a huge issue.

I'm a little confused. By transportation do you mean commuting to and from work, or the transportation involved as in going around places within the job?

If it's the former, surely you would have known about the transportation to and from work before you started the job...

Or did they say there would be no travelling around and are now appearing to renege on this?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
dimitar_berbagod said:

I'm a little confused. By transportation do you mean commuting to and from work, or the transportation involved as in going around places within the job?

If it's the former, surely you would have known about the transportation to and from work before you started the job...

Or did they say there would be no travelling around and are now appearing to renege on this?

Yes, it's the former.

And to your second question, they did renege on it. It's a start-up company, and they are still learning. But they sold me on the job thinking I could remain essentially stationary, and now they are expecting me to purchase a car. (I commute from Manhattan, where cars are impossible to have.)