Enormous shed after starting Fina (NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!!)

vloertegel500

Reaction score
Hi guys,Some background info: I am a 24 year old guy. Started using Minoxydil since I was 20 y/o. Last year in September I went to a dermatologist who suggested I stopped using Minoxydil and go on Finasteride instead.. Followed her advice but my hair has been thinning (especially the front hairline) ever since. As I became crazy, i started using Minoxydil back in February but my hair has not stopped thinning..

Now my question is
Could my hair become back to its normal state (so before the finasteride) or is this an illusion? Could it be that Finasteride is working counter-productive? Or should I give it more time to start working (I have been on it for about 13 months now). I have read up on how Finasteride works but its still a bit of a mystery for me.. Hope you guys can help me out, your kinda my last resort :(. Could it for example help that I stop taking Finasteride?

Already thanks alot for reading this and possibly giving me some good advice!!

Folirexic

Reaction score
Everyone here will tell you that there is no way finasteride can make your hair loss worse. I have personally been on it for 15 months and mine is absolutely significantly worse than when I started. Like lost more hair in a few months than I had in the 2 years that I had been experiencing male pattern baldness. Stayed diligent per the boards but it never got better. People like us are the outcasts and no one believes or responds to anything we say. But in my experience we do not understand all the effects of this drug. It helps many people and that is so great for them and I am jealous. However, there are too many people who tell stories of hair loss acceleration while on finasteride for it to be ignored.

vloertegel500

Reaction score
So you mean that only a few of us experienced this? Seems weird to me.. I would like to know if its possible that it could take this many months for the regrowth to begin/my hair to thicken back to its normal state.. If not I think it would be better to stop with Finasteride and hope that my hair would go back to its original state (pre-finasteride). Hope there is someone of this forum who can help me! :)

JustinCanada

Reaction score
My guess is that after 4 years on minoxidil alot of your hair became dependent on it, and that since switching to finasteride you are now losing the hair that was maintained from minoxidil.

You probably should have stuck with minoxidil or atleast tapered off of it. You likely arent losing ground from starting finasteride but from stopping minoxidil. Since youve lost so much ground since coming off minoxidil you were likely responding well to it without realizing it. It's worth considering jumping back on the minoxidil if it didnt cause you any side-effects etc...

Good luck brother!

vloertegel500

Reaction score
My guess is that after 4 years on minoxidil alot of your hair became dependent on it, and that since switching to finasteride you are now losing the hair that was maintained from minoxidil.

You probably should have stuck with minoxidil or atleast tapered off of it. You likely arent losing ground from starting finasteride but from stopping minoxidil. Since youve lost so much ground since coming off minoxidil you were likely responding well to it without realizing it. It's worth considering jumping back on the minoxidil if it didnt cause you any side-effects etc...

Good luck brother!

Thanks for your reply JustinCanada!
I actually already did start again with Minoxydil. I stopped with it for aproximately 5-6 months tops and have been on it again for 4-5 months. Yea could be it that I was a good responder to it. The funny thing is that with Minoxydil, one side of my temples showed a little bit of progress (little regrowth but not really thick hair), while the other side that was more full remained the same. The moment that I switched to Finasteride, my 'full temple side' regressed while the temple that responded to Minoxydil, also responded to Finasteride and is thickening up a bit now.. really strange and really dont know what to make of this :)

JustinCanada

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply JustinCanada!
I actually already did start again with Minoxydil. I stopped with it for aproximately 5-6 months tops and have been on it again for 4-5 months. Yea could be it that I was a good responder to it. The funny thing is that with Minoxydil, one side of my temples showed a little bit of progress (little regrowth but not really thick hair), while the other side that was more full remained the same. The moment that I switched to Finasteride, my 'full temple side' regressed while the temple that responded to Minoxydil, also responded to Finasteride and is thickening up a bit now.. really strange and really dont know what to make of this :)

Starting treatments and stopping them can make things super confusing! Keep doing what youre doing and best of luck in your mission!

P.S My shedding recently stopped... Ive been rockin' a full chub ever since!