EpidermisShowing - Journey 28 yr old

EpidermisShowing

Reaction score
Here is my story so far.....which may be coming to an end in the next 6 months.

I starting losing hair around 25, i remember the day i first realised was when i was comparing height with my housemate and he told me he was tall enough to see my bald spot.....i didn't believe him. about a week later i checked with my camera phone and was shocked, i had a small balding spot not very noticabile but there all the same. I spent the next two years looking and worrying about it, it got slowly worse though it didn't really stop me doing anything but eventually it got to me and i started thinking what i could do - so 9 months ago i got on propecia and have been taking it ever since. at baseline i would say my spot was about 3 inch diameter still with some hair covering, i also had some thinning in the left forhead that came and went with sheds.

In the first 3 months i had shedding from the hairline and receded quite a bit it wasn't that bad but it felt weird losing it as i should have been gaining. 3-6 months i had quite a lot of shedding still, the shedding periods since i have been on propecia have seemed drawn out (before i would shed for a while then stop for a while), these i would shed, then stop then shed again in quick succession with overall shedding more than i did without. My hair after the sheds hasn't made any remarkable comebacks - not like some others on here - and towards the 5-6th month i started noticing small black hairs on the right temple, very fine thicker towards my forelock and gradually getting thinning towards the sides.

so on to my last 3 months 6-9, the worst months, heavy shedding virtually consistently and my left temple and into the left forehead thinning badly (i have to try and cover it now). i am really unsure at this point if it is working, or rather if it is going to be worth it as i have seen regrowth in the right temple which month by month is getting thicker and the ones closest to my forelock have turned to terminals, and there are small hairs on the left but they are growing at a snails pace. The thing is i am not really seeing any big improvements anywhere else, my forehead has got thinner since baseline and my spot is really the same, though i can feel a bit of shorter tougher hair there that must have grown. Looking at my hair last Dec i could see how my front and forehead had thinned (before taking meds) this was before taking meds and i got some thickening up after so hopefully i might get the same. Really though i wonder is it worth it? when i started i said to myself i would be happy if it stayed like this, but its got worse and its seems the meds have made my hair thinner. I have heard these months are the worst so i am going to ride it out, i know i am just on propecia so it takes a long time but i think the longest i have seen on here before results is 15 months (i know there are later, but these are rare) and i would expect to see some improvment in the forehead or crown over the next 6 months or it's being buzzed and i will have to say it just didn't work for me.

So i am just out to place my prescription for my possible pen-ultimate quarter of propecia - from others timescales - 9-12 should be good months with 12-15 bad but not as bad as 6-9 so i should be able to know if i weathered the storm or wasted my money.

Thanks for listening comments and advice appreciated.

edit: i have just started using nizorelle the uk equivilant of nizoral.

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score
EpidermisShowing said:
Here is my story so far.....which may be coming to an end in the next 6 months.

I starting losing hair around 25, i remember the day i first realised was when i was comparing height with my housemate and he told me he was tall enough to see my bald spot.....i didn't believe him. about a week later i checked with my camera phone and was shocked, i had a small balding spot not very noticabile but there all the same. I spent the next two years looking and worrying about it, it got slowly worse though it didn't really stop me doing anything but eventually it got to me and i started thinking what i could do - so 9 months ago i got on propecia and have been taking it ever since. at baseline i would say my spot was about 3 inch diameter still with some hair covering, i also had some thinning in the left forhead that came and went with sheds.

In the first 3 months i had shedding from the hairline and receded quite a bit it wasn't that bad but it felt weird losing it as i should have been gaining. 3-6 months i had quite a lot of shedding still, the shedding periods since i have been on propecia have seemed drawn out (before i would shed for a while then stop for a while), these i would shed, then stop then shed again in quick succession with overall shedding more than i did without. My hair after the sheds hasn't made any remarkable comebacks - not like some others on here - and towards the 5-6th month i started noticing small black hairs on the right temple, very fine thicker towards my forelock and gradually getting thinning towards the sides.

so on to my last 3 months 6-9, the worst months, heavy shedding virtually consistently and my left temple and into the left forehead thinning badly (i have to try and cover it now). i am really unsure at this point if it is working, or rather if it is going to be worth it as i have seen regrowth in the right temple which month by month is getting thicker and the ones closest to my forelock have turned to terminals, and there are small hairs on the left but they are growing at a snails pace. The thing is i am not really seeing any big improvements anywhere else, my forehead has got thinner since baseline and my spot is really the same, though i can feel a bit of shorter tougher hair there that must have grown. Looking at my hair last Dec i could see how my front and forehead had thinned (before taking meds) this was before taking meds and i got some thickening up after so hopefully i might get the same. Really though i wonder is it worth it? when i started i said to myself i would be happy if it stayed like this, but its got worse and its seems the meds have made my hair thinner. I have heard these months are the worst so i am going to ride it out, i know i am just on propecia so it takes a long time but i think the longest i have seen on here before results is 15 months (i know there are later, but these are rare) and i would expect to see some improvment in the forehead or crown over the next 6 months or it's being buzzed and i will have to say it just didn't work for me.

So i am just out to place my prescription for my possible pen-ultimate quarter of propecia - from others timescales - 9-12 should be good months with 12-15 bad but not as bad as 6-9 so i should be able to know if i weathered the storm or wasted my money.

Thanks for listening comments and advice appreciated.

edit: i have just started using nizorelle the uk equivilant of nizoral.

Sorry to hear mate.

Im in a similar situation, I started finasteride about 2month ago and my hair has really thinned out and im going through hell but need to stick it out for 12months at least.

Goodluck with the next few months or so.