Essential Oil Useage

HageJaNai

Reaction score
I have decided to add essential oils to my regimen and apply them after using nizoral to keep my scalp from drying. Is this an advisable time ti apply them? About how much should one use per application? Thanks.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Here's a forum member's essential oils recipe that mimics that of the now infamous Scottish Study.

Note that the recipe below uses emu oil as the carrier oil instead of grapeseed and jojoba. (I've used both - the emu carrier is much less greasy)

You can also add the same amt of essential oils indicated below to a spritz bottle containing 23 ml of distilled water and use as a spray.

(I do both - the oils w/ the oil carrier in a drop bottle, and the spray).

Also available commercially, pre-bottled and formulated.

Here ya go . . . compliments of forum member Mark X . .

---

My concoction is called Emussential Oil Treatment.

The recipe calls for 23ml of emu mixed with 2 drops of Thyme (note that it should be Thymus Vulgaris), and 3 drops of Rosemary (should be Rosemarinus Officinalis), and 2 drops Cedarwood (Cedrus Atlantica) and 3 drops Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia). These are the precise essential oils used in the study (link below). There are many different types of species of these plants and I am not sure that they all are the same. So I recommend the precise species noted above.

The amount of drops of essential oil used is based on the same amount applied to the carrier oils in the study (carrier oils used in the actual study were 20ml of grapeseed and 3ml of jojoba.)

If you go to VitaminUSA.com and search for each of these oils, you will find them. The only exception is the lavender. Vitamin USA only has lavandula officinalis, and not angustifolia. However, they had the right varieties of the other three. So, since I had the other three, I opted for the lavandula officinalis instead of paying shipping charges somewhere else for just the Lavender.
The price is reasonable. I paid $37 plus shipping for all of these. It is a one ounce supply of each. I usually use close to about 1ml of emu a night since I apply it all over the top of my head. So with three drops of essential oil per 20ml of emu, I will use about 3 drops every 20 days.

There are about 1000-1300 drops in an ounce bottle, depending on viscosity. So each 20 day refill uses three drops. Therefore 1,000/3 = 333 refills. Each refill lasts me 20 days. So I have (333x20) 6,600 days of usage. That translates into about 18.3 years of usage. Better put, it will cost ½ of 1 penny per day to use the oils. There can’t be a cheaper hair loss remedy than that.