Eternal finasteride shedding, now Dutas?

kypro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been on Finasteride for almost 2 years and that whole time I have shedded huge amounts of terminal hair and it has made my entire head diffusely thin.

I started it only because the front was thinning a little. Now I am thin all over and losing hope. The shedding has never abated and so I am throwing in the propecia towel.

However - is it worth trying dutasteride?

or will the shedding effect be magnified all the more?

If so, Dutas will be suicide, but I am thinking of trying it because of its different mechanism of action it may not cause the same issue as finasteride>?

Any advice appreciated

John

ShedMaster

Reaction score
John exactly what type of finasteride are you using? prescribed? generic? proscar divided?

Theres no telling with dutas, I've seen mixed results. If I were in your situation, I would consider adding a topical attack on dht like spironolactone and possibly an SOD like copper peptides. Are you using minoxidil?

kypro

Reaction score
finasteride

the finasteride i am using is proscar divided

so maybe an inconsistent dose?

it is prescribed not generic...

not using minoxidil though because im just super scared of more shedding.

was on .5mg proscar for 2 years with eternal shedding just upped it to 1.25mg in a hope to stabilise things but sheding just gets worse

tragic i know!

kypro

Reaction score
spironolactone...

if i really am "allergic" to internal DHT blockers then maybe spironolactone is the answer?

but not sure where to procure this product? nothing available locally in NZ that much I know...

I might add that I'm only 21 years old....and my 18yo brother is already showing signs of thinning....

i'll see at least 20 hairs when washing my hair/applying hair product and it is ever so depressing!

BDSander

Reaction score
kypro,
I have a feeling your story is whats going to happen to me. I have been on propecia for 3.5 months and since 2 weeks into it I have had a constant shed. The reason I got on it was because I was thinning a little in the front, but now my hair is so thin looking its scary. Have you had a consistent shed your whole time on finasteride or does the shedding come and go? Did finasteride maintain or improve your hair at all during your period on it? Thanks for your feedback.

-Brian

kypro

Reaction score
constant

hi brian,

yeah the shed has been constant I suppose the reason I'm going to stop finasteride is because it is doing my head in to lose hair quicker than I should be

John

kypro

Reaction score
although

I must say that at the front, there has been no recession whatsoever which is something to be pleased about.

And my crown is absolutely intact. it's just the vertex and frontal area which is becomign diffusely thin.

Just how noticeable it is I don't know but it sure knocks the self esteem at only 22 yo! and gay as well - hair loss doesn't go down well in the dating stakes!

John

StevenS

Reaction score
I have some thinning in the front and my temples are thinning out, I'm 26 and went to meet with a hair transplant surgeon who told me to get on Propecia NOW. So for the last three days I've been doing Proscar quartered.

Obviously the point is to grow back hair and make further loss stop. But now I come here and I hear people saying it makes it worse? Is this an UNCOMMON side effect and NOT the norm?
Steven