Etranger's Story - (24/ diffuse frontal thinning)

etranger

Reaction score
I'm 24, have diffuse thinning at the front. My hair has been thinning since around 18, but recently i noticed a lot more hair loss, which my hair dresser and friends started to telling me as well. I can easily see the scalp under bright lights. The only hairstyle i can have is the caesar otherwise the hairloss will be really obvious.

I suspect a couple of potential causes for my hair loss. I have premature greying of hair since i was a kid, so I started dyeing my hair once in every month or two since about 17. I do notice some pimples or redness on my scalp, possibly due to hair dye. I also have very oily scalp...but the family doctor told me dyeing doesn't directly cause hair loss as it doesn't effect follicles.

A month ago i saw my family doctor about my hair loss. Blood test revealed that i have a high level of free testosterone (164.5 PMOL/L, reference range 15.6-146). The Doctor told me it's not very high and not sure if it's directly contributing to hair loss. I'm not expertise on this either so i'd be interested to hear if this has any effect on my hair loss..

Anyways i made an appointment with a dermatologist next month, to clear out any other possible issues. The family doctor tells me it's probably hereditary. But I don't see any bald men in my dad or most of my uncles or cousins in both sides, until they were pretty old of course. If hair dye is the problem i could not keep dyeing my hair...but at age 24 with most of my hair grey, it's not an easy decision. But better than losing it all i guess...If the hormone is the problem i don't know what to do....Either way i'm going to ask the derm to prescribe finasteride and start on that next month.

It's more of a psychological issue than anything. I'm usually optimistic about everything but not this hair loss. Recently I think about my hair and look in the mirror everyday and also when i meet people i worry about how they perceive me. In fact when i was a kid people used to look and comment all the time about my premature grey hair....i was pretty stressed about that and now this...Plus i'm single so really the biggest worry is finding a new gf while my confidence is getting lower...:(

Any help or comments are appreciated!