Ever worry that GTE and GSE etc are over rated?

CCS

Reaction score
I read all these internet articles and and life extension articles, with 50 sources cited, all telling of the cures these things can do, and even FDA saying you must eat fruit to avoid oxidative stress, yet FDA says there is insufficient or conflicting proof to back up the claims about GTE, GSE, and pomegranate. Is FDA behind the times, or are there some scams out there? I'm I wrong for telling some people that these anti-oxidants will probably improve their health problems?

I eat an FDA approved diet, and experience no change after taking these supplements. But many junk food eaters say these things did wonders for them.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the FDA is only in it for the big drug companies. With that said, I'm not sure if GTE & GSE is any good. I actually stopped taking GTE and can tell no difference at all.

I'm starting to formulate the opinion that so long as you eat healthy, you don't really need many supplements. As soon as my stash of Pomegranite, Nettle Root, Flax Lignans & ALC is gone, I'm not reordering any of those. Actually, since Pomegranite is a phytoestrogen, I've stopped taking it internally. No reason to have even more estrogen spike than dutasteride provides running around in me. I still use Pomegranite in my minoxidil though.

CCS

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not going to shoot for a large dose of each. I think there is enough overlap that I will just take 100mg of each, so my total off all extracts is about 500-600mg spread throughout the day. For all I know my body can synthesisze omega03's just fine. I'm going to take 1g (4 capsules) per day, and take 1 mL of borageseed oil every day. Maybe 2 so it does not spoil.

I ordered some DHEA and a hormone test for my father, 59. But I suspect as healthy as he is with his workouts, he might have normal testosterone levels. I want to find out. I think DHEA supplementation may be for old people who let themselves go down hill. I'm also noticing there are grey old men at the gym who lift well over 200 pounds in their regular workout.

I'm definitely going to keep taking my vitamin K, though.

CCS

Reaction score
I was about to buy some CLA, though my borageseed oil is 30% CLA. The line of reasoning is that people used to have CLA in their diets when farm animals ate grass. I don't think I like that line of reasoning, since it says we should assume that every diet of the past is better than today's. So what if lamb has CLA? Why should I supplement with it? Because more people today are getting cancer? I heard the jury is still out on CLA, so I'm just going to save my money. Even 1g per day would cost me $4 per month.

CCS

Reaction score
What really gets me skeptical is when I shop at a supplement site, and as I'm shopping for the supplement I want, I skim over 50 other supplements, including every amino acid isolate there is. It makes me wonder what the buyers of those things were told. Then when I read the studies of the stuff I'm taking, I see plenty of other new stuff advertised in the same magazine.

CCS

Reaction score
50g of 40% GTE (full spectrum) is almost the same price as 25g of the 95%. So I decided to get the full spectrum this time, and maybe take twice as much. I just hope it does not have a lot of caffine.

While DHEA is great for old people, I'm surprised body builders are not taking it like a steroid. Anyone know what the story is there?