evil smile's story - (age 20, not sure if im loosing hair)

evil smile

Reaction score
hi guys!
ive been reading on this forum for a while now, and yesterday i finially decided to join. there are some very inteligent and nice people on this forum that really try to help others out, and thats the main reason i decided to post.
About me:
Im 20 years old (about to be 21 in march). everyone in my family is bald, in dad and mom side other than my father. my hair is thick like his, but not curly. no one else in the family has thick hair but him. all my uncles from both side, and both grandpa's so ever since ive been young ive been teased by the jokes hehe :$ . hairloss is something that happens to alot of guys, and honestly i dont think its going to change my life drastically, but who wouldnt like to keep their hair on their head? hehe
I suffer from a mental disease called Trichotillomania. for those of you who dont know, i basically always pull my hair out. when i was younger, my head was the only place that had hair, so i always pulled atleast 30-40 hairs a day. leaving me with a terrible looking vortex ever since ive been 10 years old. this habit had left me with alot less hair than i ever would have had without it. my mom always told me that this hair will never grow back, i wish i listened to her :(
But about two years ago, my mother finally actually told me it looks like im loosing hair on the back of my head, i looked at my head, and it looked like the usual thing (less hair than normal) so i didnt worry about it much.i didnt care about it much and just lived my life. but as time went on, i realized that when i pull the hair out of my vortex without much effort, they come out easily. They also seemed to look much thinner than the rest of the hairs on my head. time went by and this issue was stuck on my head the whole time. its like it wouldnt go away. i couldnt do much about my disease so i just started not touching my head and pulling hair out of my arms and legs! gross right :puke: i know, and now i have a baldspot on my leg.
so finally couple of weeks ago, i decided to figure out if im loosing my hair or not, so started taking pictures and comparing them to older pictures, but honestly i cant figure out. i know for a fact that i have less hair density in the MBP spot. my sides and back have way more hair, but its kinda always beem that way. what i came up to is that i am slowly entering the MBP and i better start now or it will be too late. here are some pics for you guys to judge upon.
3253fc8.jpg

5862jq7.jpg

picture049jh7.jpg

those are the only pics i have for comparison sorry, and here are som epics from 10 mins ago with me and shaved head
asdni2.jpg

and the vortex:
picture063qr0.jpg

and here is a pic from the back of my head so you guys know hwo much hair i should have lol
picture067xd4.jpg

the reason i even posted is because i put a ton of conditioner on my head the other day and it made my hair really thin and i got scared and shaved my head. i loose about 60 hairs a day. no major crazy shedding. im super athletic (running, soccer, mountain bike, lifting ,snowboarding). my templates are the same size they have always been (yep they always looked that crazy just like my dads) and the only thing scaring me is the vortex. i still have very thick hair on my head although not as many on top as the back. when i shaved my head with the same grade all over, i could clearly see the scalp on top, but not on the sides, so i had to cut the sides lower.
after reading alot here i decided i wanted to try Proscar and Rogaine foam. im going to see the doctor on wednesday and here are some questions i have:
1- would he be able to tell me if i have male pattern baldness?
2- would using these products actually end up hurting me if i dont have male pattern baldness?
sorry for the long story, and thanks in dvance for all of your inputs :) :punk:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: need help with my situation (not sure if im loosing hair)

Sry to disappoint you brother, you don't have male pattern baldness, nothing wrong with your hair.

evil smile

Reaction score

RaginDemon said:
Sry to disappoint you brother, you don't have male pattern baldness, nothing wrong with your hair.
thanks for you input, but can i ask why you say that?

barcafan

Reaction score

from the last pictures it looks like diffuse thinning.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

evil smile said:
RaginDemon said:
thanks for you input, but can i ask why you say that?

your top seems to be as dense as your sides and back...it doesn't look like the non of the typical male pattern baldness patterns at all.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score

Nah, you're not balding. Get on with your life fella.

evil smile

Reaction score

thanks for your opinions guys! on the side note : on the above pics with my hair short, the sides of hair are about 1/4 of an inch shorter than the top.
here are some more pictures for you guys to look at. these are taken last week when my hair was a bit longer. these pictures are taken after i used a handfull of conditioner on my head and left it on for like 10 mins by mistake. it seemed like it made my hair alot thinner. is that what conditioner does?
this picture scared the poop out of me. my hair is styled upwards in this pic, so the angle kinda doesnt help
adfgkf9.jpg

and the vortex
picture016gm0.jpg

i have on emore question:
1- does the top of your hair usually have less amount of hair than your back even if you dont have male pattern baldness?
sorry if im asking alot of questions and making your guys frustrated :lost:

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score

evil smile said:
1- does the top of your hair usually have less amount of hair than your back even if you dont have male pattern baldness?
sorry if im asking alot of questions and making your guys frustrated :lost:

Probably not but for some reason it usually looks like it. The most obvious reason being that the hair on the sides of the head are laying flat against the scalp whereas the hair on the top is usually styled some way.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

your hair is short and with strong flash like that, its normal to see your scalp.

I personaly don't think there is anything wrong with your hair. Maybe others can comment more on it.

G

you guys know me, i'm not paranoid about loss like some people who i won't name , but yes i think this guy is losing. there should just not be that much scalp showing in a buzz that length. i was diffusing decently bad in my buzz pics with flash and mine wasn't that bad, so I don't see why people believe that he isn't thinning. I think even a pic without flash in normal room light would show the same thinning pattern. Can't tell Norwood for the hairline but he is diffusing from the front all the way into the crown, and diffusing quite a bit there. I'm not saying that the diffusing is that severe obviously, because of the photo conditions, but there's very little doubt in my mind that he is in fact losing it. Should get that checked out by a Doctor bud.

The sides and back do also look thin which would seem to me to be another case of diffuse unpatterned alopecia, where you thin out all over your scalp, including the donor region. We don't see it often on the forums but I've seen it a couple times lately. The first 3 pics taken are overly flattering to the situation because they're taken from Straight ahead, without giving us a good look at even the hairline close up or the top of the scalp, and also taken in poor lighting. Even when my diffusion was at its worst, I could take pics just like that and have my hair look the same way.

The pics from overhead show the real story imo. I don't care how much flash there is- his hair is dry there. Imagine how much would be showing in that pic if his hair was wet.

Again, key point here that people always miss: just because someone's sides and back look as thin as the top doesn't mean that the subject isn't balding. Google diffuse unpatterned alopecia. This is why I hate calling it male pattern baldness. I DO NOT HAVE male pattern baldness. I NEVER DID. I never had male PATTERN baldness. male pattern baldness is one form of Androgenetic alopecia(Androgenetic Alopecia). Diffuse alopecia is another. They are both caused by the same factors and the one you get is just determined by your genes. Vin Diesel is diffuse for example, Judge Law is more male pattern baldness. Simply put, his sides and back should both look a lot thicker, even under flash, than they do right there. I really hope the original poster takes my reply to heart and doesn't ignore this, because it's likely only going to get worse without treatment(Propecia, Avodart), etc.

Original poster, see a dermatologist ASAP

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score

It looks like diffuse thinning to me.

TheDude

Reaction score

The flash can do some crazy crap to your head. While I think he's probably lost some hair so far in his lifetime, I don't think he's bad at all. When I first took a flash pic of the top of my head when it was messy and styled, I almost fainted. But the thing is I've haven't lost a thing on the top, it's just the same as it always was. So I probably could of taken the same pic 5 years ago and it would of been about the same. I also have very fine hair, but a lot of fine hair. When you have fine hair, you simply don't have good scalp coverage, but it doesn't mean you're losing it or will lose it soon. Like this guy and myself, people with fine hair really utilize the great products out there that help thicken up hair as well as add body.

If I was him I would monitor it closely, but don't be paranoid about it. Take pictures every month and check progress. If it gets noticably worse, get on finasteride.

evil smile

Reaction score

thanks for all of your imputs guys, i really appericiate it. back on the topic, i do have extremely thick hair which results in me not having a lot of it. i saw a doctor about 4 months ago and he told me that i was fine and he couldnt see anything wrong with my hair. he told me i just have very wierd hair pattern. he also told me he could fix my vortex which is a result of me being an idiot. but im still very scared, like i said everyone in my family is bald. i have a pic of one of my cousins who went bald and ill post it later. he had full head of hair till 23 and then BAM. but his hair was very different than mine (very fuzzy thin hair).
thanks again for everything :punk:

RaginDemon

Reaction score

if male pattern baldness runs in your family, you'd better to see a derm before its too late.