Experience with Saw Palmetto?

Ecto1

Reaction score
I want to hear what other people's experiences with saw palmetto over the course of several months or more has been.

I took saw palmetto for 1.5 months - 320 mg daily, with meals, purchased at Whole Foods. During this time, my hair shedding increased. My scalp also started itching, with red inflamed areas under the hair. I quit after the itching and shedding became too much.

My question is: should I have stuck with it? Is that just a temporary stage, a shedding phase that happens similar to Propecia or Rogaine? Anyone have any success with taking it for a longer period of time?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
the first question: why were you taking saw palmetto in the first place?

no studies show that saw palmetto can reduce hair loss

i personally used it in conjunction with finasteride and min

after finishing the first bottle i quit and nothing detrimental happened to my hair

Hoppi

Reaction score
To be honest, if you want to go with natural treatments, as it stands I would put them in this order:

Equol, lignans, then beta-sitosterol (which is the active part of saw palmetto and stuff anyway I believe!) :)

Although I have some high hopes for some other things over the coming months!

Also, the ImmortalHair regimen and combos like curcumin and resveratrol have shown positive effects in some individuals :)

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
What is Saw Palmetto? I have seen Saw 1, 2 ,3 and 4 but not Palmetto

Hoppi

Reaction score
Defiance said:
whats the go with those collagen sups hop? not workin for ya?

erm, I dunno really. I mean the first hurdle of course is improving my skin, that is why I'm taking them, then if my hair improves at the same time I will know there is a connection (as I suspect!)

My skin.. I dunno.. it might be better, but if it is it's staggeringly gradual. I am getting in touch with some dermatologists though and following a thread on another forum where they cover other approaches to increasing and optimizing collagen production, so hopefully that will have more success in time.

Stuff like equol and that is really in my mind just to tide me through until my skin picks up.. that's the way I see it in my head :)