Experimental Topical

Format

Reaction score
I know there's hundreds of wive-tales and myths out there of things you can put on your head to promote growth, but I wan't to try something that has some scientific backing to it. I remember reading in another thread about putting beer, zinc, primrose oil and other stuff on your scalp, and that each one had something that could be good for your hair. I'm experiencing very slow hair loss and am willing to be a guinee pig for this little experiment.

Name some things that i should add in my topical and give a reason why!

Thanks

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Format said:

Thanks

Ok Format...I'll get this started...

First and foremost I would recommend that you immediately stop shampooing. PERIOD. Chemicals in shampoo such as SLS (Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate) are what caused hairloss to begin with.

Topicals...Look at my regimen. It's Witch Hazel and Quercetin.

Witch Hazel....Just Google Witch Hazel and Hair Growth. It's loaded with info. Witch Hazel is a mild antiseptic and good for cleansing your scalp and hair instead of poisonous shampoo like many members here use. Most here use Nizoral which I consider toxic.

Quercetin...Found in high concentration in onions...Why onions???
Google onions/hair regrowth...There are countless people who regrew a full head of hair simply by rubbing onion juice on their scalps everyday.
And no...Quercetin does not have an aroma....

Diamond Dave at your service

Format

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Dave. I've been a bit skeptical about the whole Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate deal, but I only use Revita now which does not contain SLS or SLES.

I'll look into those 2 natural topicals. Thanks!

Format

Ignatius

Reaction score
Diamond Dave said:
Format said:

Thanks

Ok Format...I'll get this started...

First and foremost I would recommend that you immediately stop shampooing. PERIOD. Chemicals in shampoo such as SLS (Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate) are what caused hairloss to begin with.

Topicals...Look at my regimen. It's Witch Hazel and Quercetin.

Witch Hazel....Just Google Witch Hazel and Hair Growth. It's loaded with info. Witch Hazel is a mild antiseptic and good for cleansing your scalp and hair instead of poisonous shampoo like many members here use. Most here use Nizoral which I consider toxic.

Quercetin...Found in high concentration in onions...Why onions???
Google onions/hair regrowth...There are countless people who regrew a full head of hair simply by rubbing onion juice on their scalps everyday.
And no...Quercetin does not have an aroma....

Diamond Dave at your service

Diamon Dave why don't you tell this poor guy about the amazing regrowth potential of topical iodine? Is he not worthy of this most valuable advice? Or isn't iodine the magical cure you always claimed it to be?

Anyway Format, you might try something like tea tree oil (anti-androgenic, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-dandruff) It does smell, so it's not a good idea to put on your head in its concentrated form, you may want to dilute it. Another oil that's supposed to be helpful is emu-oil.

And if you are looking for other natural regimen you can search for "Waseda's regime" "Immortal Hair's regime" "Super Zix". There's a lot of stuff out there, good luck :)

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Format!

First, I have to say that if you really want to get the best treatment, then you should go for the big 3: propecia, rogaine(foam or dnc) and nizoral.
Those three have a very solid science proof behind them as well as many evidences from users here.
Having said that, if you still volunteer to be a guinee pig, I think that the effect of topical Curcumin is a very interesting question.

Take a look here: docj077 explain about the effect of curcumin on tgf-beta (he takes it oraly)

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=29822

another related and interesting discussion is here:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=34431&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Take a look on the second page of this discussion where Bryan says that curcumin also showed reducing of DHT.

Just to be clear: I'm thinking about topical use of curcumin in order to avoid possible (unknown) side effects that may be in internal use. I'm thinking to test this on myself also, I already bought curcumin powder, but I didn't have time yet to "play" with it.

Since many members have shown interest in this substance and the relation of tgf-beta to hairloss, I think it will help many people if we will have more information about it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Newbaldy84 recently gave a link to a store that sells topical curcumin:
http://www.springboard4health.com/store/more_hpl_curcumin.html

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Ignatius said:
Diamon Dave why don't you tell this poor guy about the amazing regrowth potential of topical iodine? Is he not worthy of this most valuable advice?

Thanks Indignatious...You must be one of my former students. You are truly a fortunate man.

Yeah Indignatious is correct Format. I used colorless iodine for about 7 months and was having satisfactory results but then I formulated my new topical of Witch Hazel/Quercetin which I believe will be more effective than iodine alone but you can find blogs where people have obtained regrowth from topical iodine alone....

Diamond

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Format...here is an interesting product you might want to take a look at since you appear to be into natural topicals.

I'm providing you with this link for 2 reasons:
1. You're looking to make your own topical or you're at least thinking about it and,
2. This product lists all it's ingredients AND also tells you what each ingredient does. This is the main reason.

http://www.youngagainproducts.com/OurPr ... roductName

FOR THE RECORD......
This link is provided for information only Cassin.
I do not use this product nor am I recommending it.

I know every step I make is being critiqued and I do not want this post to be interpulated as a sales pitch. I know the "Ban" button has a weak spring. :lol:

Format

Reaction score
Wow, off to a great start here :)

At the rate my hair is going right now, i probably won't be too concerned about gettin on finasteride or rogain for atleast a year (im only 19). My temples have receeded quite a bit, but for now i'm fine with being the guinee pig lol. Hope some good comes out of this, for myself and everyone else.

Thanks for all the advise so far!

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I tried adding curcumin poweder (approx 1/20 tablespoon) to approx 2 ml minoxidil and guess what... all the warnings were right :) it stains too much... :) I guess I should have listened more carefully :oops: I looked like Homer Simpson :) I barely was able to rub it off.
Well, in case I'll want to further try curcumin I'll have to buy some commercial product.

Anyway to your question again, I remember Michael Barry spoke about some topicals he want to check, I hope he'll see this discussion and join.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Format said:
Wow, off to a great start here :)

At the rate my hair is going right now, i probably won't be too concerned about gettin on finasteride or rogain for atleast a year (im only 19). My temples have receeded quite a bit, but for now i'm fine with being the guinee pig lol. Hope some good comes out of this, for myself and everyone else.

Thanks for all the advise so far!

You're welcome. Thats why I'm here. :D

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, found it! here's a quote of michael barry (michael, I hope it's ok with you...)

It's taken from this page:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=33524&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

michael barry said:
Doctor,
By the way............

Id love for some newbie to try topical apple cider vinegar mixed with green tea, onion juice, and beer, with perhpas some pine oil..............................after he wets his head for a shower, put in and leave on for five minutes, quickly shampoo out. Why do I think his hair might improve?

That should get TNF-alpha blocked up there, TGF beta one and two, PKC, IL-1, get sulfur to the follicle area, probably some vitamin C, and two anti-androgens (hops, alot of beta sis), and something that downregulates androgen receptor expression (genistein).

I know those substances should be in those products, but a carreir agent to get them to the papilla, and as far as how long in hours they would be effective I, of course, dont know.

Ive been putting a beer and green tea mix on a pinky finger for a few weeks to see if it will inbhibit hair growth there, will know in about three more months.

The one bad thing about beta sis is that Ive read that it ups TGF beta expression. I suppose if someone did a pine oil topical, they'd have to dilute the pine oil (you would have to do this anyway........its over 10 percent beta sis and has an overpowering pine smell, you'd smell like a pine tree) in beer or apple cider vindegar at about a one to ten or two to eight ratio. Add some green tea and onion juice to that mix, I imagine it would really help.

By the way.................I see you use honey in your shampoo. Ohter than being a strong anti-oxidant, does it supress anything or induce any of the known growth factors to overexpress themselves? Interesting. I bet its good.

docj077

Reaction score
Format said:
Beethoven said:
Ok, found it! here's a quote of michael barry (michael, I hope it's ok with you...)

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=33524&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Yea! That's the post that got me thinking about this. Hopefully Doctor will have some more to add.

I'm still doing research on the subject of curcumin as an addition to any given hair loss regimen that includes medically approved medications. I really don't want people running out and buying products that I can't prove will work for male pattern baldness. Especially, curcumin, because I don't know how good its systemic absorption is.

Format

Reaction score
docj077 said:
Format said:
Beethoven said:

Yea! That's the post that got me thinking about this. Hopefully Doctor will have some more to add.

I'm still doing research on the subject of curcumin as an addition to any given hair loss regimen that includes medically approved medications. I really don't want people running out and buying products that I can't prove will work for male pattern baldness. Especially, curcumin, because I don't know how good its systemic absorption is.

Of course you can't prove that it will work...that's why this thread is in the "Experimental Treatments" section. :)

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:

Don't worry Doctor, everything we buy or do is our own choice and responsibility.
I'm very grateful you share your knowledge with us, allowing us to share your experiments.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Format said:
Of course you can't prove that it will work...that's why this thread is in the "Experimental Treatments" section. :)

How could I have missed such brilliance. Well said Format. You will do well here.
Are you a GIB graduate by chance?

Diamond

Format

Reaction score
Diamond Dave said:
Format said:

How could I have missed such brilliance. Well said Format. You will do well here.

Diamond

lol no, just a newbie to hairloss who's trying to cover all his bases. :happy:

Cutsinger is God

Established Member
Reaction score
Diamond Dave said:
Format said:

Diamond

I thought the exact same thing when I read doormat's response. This guy has to be from GIB. Apparently they are all coming out of the woodwork more and more. Widowspeak yesterday, Uk1 and badasshairday today and now doormat. I only know UK1 from how he writes who he is on GIB. Doormat I need more time as well as badasshairday. Eventually in time I'll figure them out. :lol: