Expirienced Minoxidil Users Please Answer

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
ive been on propecia for a year and i started minoxidil just over 2 months ago. the propecia seemed to do nothing, so i decided to try minoxidil and maybe regrow if not stop hair loss. since then i went through a pretty bad shed but it seems to have slowed for the most part. the most noticeable hit i took was on my hairline where i receeded quite a bit and became more diffuse, especially on the temples. from reading this site i have decided to continue using minoxidil despite the backwards step i have taken in hopes that i will see some thickening in the overall top of my head. it seems as if the temples have shed alot and i see alot of nearly invisible peach fuzz growing in that area, but nothing that is going to make a difference. in places i used to have hair before starting minoxidil, it looks as if they have been replaced by invisible vellous hairs that dont look like they will do much for me cosmetically. since the hair that was there was noticable, but finer, im suprised that the only hair that seems to be there is peach fuzz and not a hair that was cycled thinner from baseline like what has been happening. i dont know if this is a good sign or a sign that what minoxidil made fall out has now came back invisible. i know minoxidil is not typically good at growing back temples and such, so my question to users is this:

when you use minoxidil and you respond, are you likely to at least return to baseline when you started the treatment, or does minoxidil destroy the front of your hair never to return? my main hope was that if i didnt regrow what i had lost in the front previous to the treatment, that i would at least start thickening up what was left from where i started. if i dont at least return to baseline, then i feel that minoxidil was a failure for me because my hairline was the most important to me. how many users out there expirienced their hairline at least return to baseline after months of use if not regrowing some of the hair in the front that they thought they would never see, and how many of you have lost hair that has never returned on their hairline?? and what was your timetable before you started noticing a cosmetical difference that showed?? the diffuseness of my hairline has me a little concerned about the future, and if i am going to receed even further on propecia and minoxidil, i might as well throw in the towel and save some money since the point was to get better or stay the same not continue to get worse every month.

G

yes, no, no yes, yes, maybe, no, no zzzzzZZZZZZZ, no and yes (but not in that order)

Hopefully this helps.

Ty

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm using minoxidil, and all I think it has done for me, other than possibly slowing my hair loss (which I can't tell unless I quit), is that it has made the hairs on my head that are still there thicker. My hair line is slowing diminishing, unfortunately. But it might be helping to slow that down as well.

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
to the first reply, is that a serious answer?? i was hoping for a little more detail, or you to explain your experience.

to the second reply, do you mean that your hairline has worsened from the baseline when you started the treatment and hasnt gotten any better?? and what was your timetable to seeing an increased density in your overall hair??

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, at least for good responders, the hair that has shed will almost certainly return. But, you have got to be patient. It may take months for them to return. minoxidil really is amazing for thickening up hair in conjunction with nizarol. Regarding the vellous hairs, You may not see them change for months,then all of a sudden the hairline start to lower as vellous hairs thicken.

G

Scuffernoose said:
to the first reply, is that a serious answer?? i was hoping for a little more detail, or you to explain your experience.

No, it was sarcasim, large blocks of text peppered with questions tend not elicit a great response.

A brief outline will usually do.

Then the questions clearley stated.

most people can't be bothered reading through this:

ive been on propecia for a year and i started minoxidil just over 2 months ago. the propecia seemed to do nothing, so i decided to try minoxidil and maybe regrow if not stop hair loss. since then i went through a pretty bad shed but it seems to have slowed for the most part. the most noticeable hit i took was on my hairline where i receeded quite a bit and became more diffuse, especially on the temples. from reading this site i have decided to continue using minoxidil despite the backwards step i have taken in hopes that i will see some thickening in the overall top of my head. it seems as if the temples have shed alot and i see alot of nearly invisible peach fuzz growing in that area, but nothing that is going to make a difference. in places i used to have hair before starting minoxidil, it looks as if they have been replaced by invisible vellous hairs that dont look like they will do much for me cosmetically. since the hair that was there was noticable, but finer, im suprised that the only hair that seems to be there is peach fuzz and not a hair that was cycled thinner from baseline like what has been happening. i dont know if this is a good sign or a sign that what minoxidil made fall out has now came back invisible. i know minoxidil is not typically good at growing back temples and such, so my question to users is this:

when you use minoxidil and you respond, are you likely to at least return to baseline when you started the treatment, or does minoxidil destroy the front of your hair never to return? my main hope was that if i didnt regrow what i had lost in the front previous to the treatment, that i would at least start thickening up what was left from where i started. if i dont at least return to baseline, then i feel that minoxidil was a failure for me because my hairline was the most important to me. how many users out there expirienced their hairline at least return to baseline after months of use if not regrowing some of the hair in the front that they thought they would never see, and how many of you have lost hair that has never returned on their hairline?? and what was your timetable before you started noticing a cosmetical difference that showed?? the diffuseness of my hairline has me a little concerned about the future, and if i am going to receed even further on propecia and minoxidil, i might as well throw in the towel and save some money since the point was to get better or stay the same not continue to get worse every month.

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
thanks absmon. thats great news i guess if you are a good responder. i would be happy for my hairline to at least return to the place it was before i started minoxidil, otherwise i will regret it because the thinning and receeding in the front was the hardest to conceil and was the basis for me starting the daily grind of minoxidil.

tynanw, why is that?? why is there some sort of edicate on a message board aimed to help and educate people. i could see if this were a private club where only privilaged could post, but unfortunately more and more people are finding out their going bald, and many of them will ask the most basic questions. sometimes posters will feel that they want to ask a question and explain their specific situation instead of scrambleing through hundereds of posts to find that everyone has their own situation thats not quite the same. i dont know why posters like to make it feel like you are approaching the king, and must properly bow twice and hail mary before asking for something. i figure most people want to help others with their questions even if its detailed. i like to explain things in detail, and im not sure why you would even answer if you dont care to answer seriously. your writing format should have nothing to do with the purpose of this forum.

i appreciate those trying to help.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd say I noticed an overall thickening of hair- that is, the hairs that were always on my head to begin with (not so much regrowth of new hair) at about the 6 month mark.

As for my hair line, it is receding roughly 1mm every 2 or 3 months. Yeah, sick that I notice, but I look closely in the mirror, and the first thing you can see is your hairline. I know how the few individual hairs right in the center grow, so when they fall out, I can tell. But it's slow.

I like minoxidil. I don't know what propecia alone would be doing for me, but together they are helping me maintain quite well.

Good luck.

G

Scuffernoose said:
thanks absmon. thats great news i guess if you are a good responder. i would be happy for my hairline to at least return to the place it was before i started minoxidil, otherwise i will regret it because the thinning and receeding in the front was the hardest to conceil and was the basis for me starting the daily grind of minoxidil.

tynanw, why is that?? why is there some sort of edicate on a message board aimed to help and educate people. i could see if this were a private club where only privilaged could post, but unfortunately more and more people are finding out their going bald, and many of them will ask the most basic questions. sometimes posters will feel that they want to ask a question and explain their specific situation instead of scrambleing through hundereds of posts to find that everyone has their own situation thats not quite the same. I like to type, it makes my fingers feel nice, no reallt they do, they feel lovely and another thing, i dont know why posters like to make it feel like you are approaching the king, and must properly bow twice and hail mary before asking for something. i figure most people want to help others with their questions even if its detailed. i like to explain things in detail, and im not sure why you would even answer if you dont care to answer seriously. your writing format should have nothing to do with the purpose of this forum.

i appreciate those trying to help.

good grief !

Just make your questions simple and you will get a better response, and yes, bowing is advisable when approaching the king.

cheers

King Ty of HairLossTalk.com

P.S
your writing format should have nothing to do with the purpose of this forum.

what the hell does that mean ?

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil

I've been on minoxidil for just over a year, never experienced a big shed that I know of, and it has brought back many hairs on the crown area and hairline...I added finasteride two months ago and my hair is taking off. Incredibly.

Use both, always, that's my advice.

stay the course

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
I know what tynan means, reading those paragraphs sucks! He's a good guy though, and knows a lot about this stuff. He was just giving you some pointers.

It was kind of snotty though. Tynan maybe you're suffering from overexposure to newbies and their annoying egoistic ignorant attitudes. It may be time for a HairLossTalk.com vacation mate...

cheers!

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
good deal celtictigyr. i hope that i can see results like yours. the year of propecia has yielded dissapointing results, so im hoping minoxidil does the trick. right now my left temple looks like sh*t, and my hairline has rounded and diffused. if only i had a better head shape and weighed 50 pounds more i wouldnt have to feel like im delaying the inevitable.

when it says that you will start seeing a difference around the 3 month mark, does that mean that you should start seeing some regrowth in bald areas, thickening in thin areas or the hairs that you shed start coming back a little thicker than before?? i dont know if i should be looking for vellous hairs or tiny black stubble.

G

Molecular Help said:
I know what tynan means, reading those paragraphs sucks! He's a good guy though, and knows a lot about this stuff. He was just giving you some pointers.

It was kind of snotty though. Tynan maybe you're suffering from overexposure to newbies and their annoying egoistic ignorant attitudes. It may be time for a HairLossTalk.com vacation mate...

cheers!

Molecular Help, your post was far too long so I have edited for you:

Molecular Help said:
I know --- tynan ---- He's a good guy

cheers :) I love ya MH (no not like that)

scuffernoose sorry! don't mean to offend but you stand a much greater chance of getting answers if people don't have to read through a couple of paragraphs to dig out the questions.

....when it says that you will start seeing a difference around the 3 month mark.......

it's different for everyone, most common results after 3 months i'd say where.

1. cessation/reduction of hairloss (most common)

2. velous growth (fairly common)

3. thickening of existing terminal hair (if your lucky)

4. complete regrowth of your 18 year old hairline (Deaner)

Good Luck

Ty

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
in my case, i wanted people to know the exact details of my case. it may take some space to be detailed, but instead of breaking it up into several detailed posts, i wanted to say it all at once. i appreciate the tip, but why be sarcastic when you dont have to answer?? if thats the way you like to talk to people when you meet them, i hope you can handle yourself.

and thats the point. asking a question as a new guy who is trying to learn the information that this board may have shouldnt make someone believe that we are annoying, egotistic and ignorant, but obviously that is the perception you have for anyone who is starting out unless they do things the way you like it done. i use message boards alot to learn different things, and this seems to be the reaccuring theme for someone that doesnt do things the way others see fit. thats probably why some people are hesitant to ask certain people questions in real life. fortunately im not forcing any of you to read, i just want help from those who dont mind passing on information that might help someone the way it has helped them.

G

Scuffernoose said:
in my case, i wanted people to know the exact details of my case. it may take some space to be detailed, but instead of breaking it up into several detailed posts, i wanted to say it all at once. i appreciate the tip, but why be fantastic when you dont have to answer?? if thats the way you like to talk to people when you meet them, i hope you can handle yourself.

no, I can't handle myself

Scuffernoose said:
and thats the point. asking a question as a new guy who is trying to learn the information that this board may have shouldnt make someone believe that we are annoying, egotistic and ignorant, but obviously that is the perception you have for anyone who is starting out unless they do things the way you like it done.

I have not descibed you as any of these things, I simply pointed out that people tend not to read over lengthy posts, nothing else.

Scuffernoose said:
....i use message boards alot to learn different things, and this seems to be the reaccuring theme for someone.....

zzzzz...

Scuffernoose said:
....that doesnt do things the way others see fit. thats probably why some people are hesitant to ask certain people questions in real life. fortunately im not.....

zzzzzZZZZZZ.....

Scuffernoose said:
.....forcing any of you to read, i just want help from those who dont mind passing on information that might help someone the way it has helped them.

point taken, now stop your whinging.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"In this corner weighing in at 150 pounds.....the rooting tooting Scuffernoose!!!!!......and in this corner weighing in at 210 pounds of pure asskicking muscle.... the balling ...shot calling defending champ TYNANW!!!(as the crowd goes wild!)

"no punching below the hairline........and no talking sh*t about others mom......now...lets get it on!!!!!!!"

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Scuffernoose said:
asking a question as a new guy who is trying to learn the information that this board may have shouldnt make someone believe that we are annoying, egotistic and ignorant, but obviously that is the perception you have for anyone who is starting out unless they do things the way you like it done.

Tynan didn't say that, I did. I didn't mean to insult you, I was speaking of the typical attitude of newbies on this forum. Guys come on here and ask the same questions every day, believing that their cases are unique. When no one feels like giving the same answers we always give that day, the person often replies to their own post saying things like "c'mon! I can't believe none of you have experience with this. 30 views and no replies? That is unacceptible. Pay attention to me!" Stuff like that. I was speaking of newbies in general though not you... tynan has been here a long time I thought perhaps the constant repetiveness was getting to him a bit.

Also, assuming you know you have male pattern baldness, you probably aren't unique. Your response to treatment is unique because we are all different, but we all have to use the same stuff.

No hostility fellas! I love you all! (yes i am gay) :p

MH

G

c'mon everyone let's have a great big punch-up!!!!!!!!
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
blue, put that axe down and MH put your pants back on, it's not that kind of fight

G

TynanW,
f*** you tynan. Without me, you weren't sh*t. It was me that made you the poster you are today. Without me your "Just gone Senior" thread wouldn't have made it out of day one. I was the instigator on that one b**ch. I made you, and i can break you whenever I want.

Scuffernoose,
those blocks of text are really hard to read. I just couldn't bring myself to reading them. What was your original question?

-Badasshairday.