Fantasy Football

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin, Gardener (Or any other football and/or Cowboys fan),

I’m gearing up for my fantasy draft, and have a dilemma with keepers. I play in a keeper league, but you can only keep guys that were drafted in the 6th round and later in the previous year. My options are Kyle Orton, Jonathan Stewart, Lee Evans, and none other than your beloved Felix Jones. My question to you as Cowboy fans – what do you realistically expect out of Jones this year? My league gives 1 point for receptions too, so keep that in mind, as I think Felix might be used in the passing game. I have to assume that in the red zone, though, it’s Marion Barber’s territory. What are your thoughts?

As far as my other options:

Orton – might be a viable option was we play 2 QBs, but he stinks
Stewart – I think he’s pretty good, but shares time with DeAngelo Williams, and seems to be banged up
Evans – I think he’ll have a good year, but the red zone looks are going to Owens

The Gardener

Reaction score
Aaaah yes... football season.

Soon the leaves will be turning, the evening air will get that "chill", students going back to school, homecoming, marching bands, girls named Buffy...

I had my fantasy draft this past weekend, and it's hard to believe that kickoff weekend is on the horizon! I love it!

As for your particular question... to me, its a slam dunk choice, but, that's just because of my mentality on these things and obviously not everyone sees things the same way I do. I'd choose to keep Jonathan Stewart in a heartbeat. Carolina is a hard core running game-based offense so no matter what happens in the world of DeAngelo Williams, you know that Stewart is still going to get a lot of carries. My draft guide (one that I PAID for, not just one of those mag rags peddled at the bookstore) projects Williams to average about 20 carries a game, and Stewart to average about 15 carries a game. Additionally, they project Stewart to get the touch in short yardage situations. I've got Stewart on my team as well.

I think Felix Jones is a great young talent but he's a year away from being fully ripe... the Cowboys have more of a balanced offense and won't run as much as Carolina, and, Barber and Witten will be goal line vultures for him.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Gardener, I agree that Stewart will have a decent year, but the fact that he’s not even the true starter worries me. He did have around 800 yds and 10TDs last year, though.

Would you favor him even over Orton? I know Orton is nothing special, but I am in a league with 10 guys, and we each play 2 QBs each week, so Orton wouldn’t be a second QB.

I have 2nd pick overall, so I’m torn between going with the Turner/Jones-Drew/Forte options, or doing what I really want and going with Brady. I think Brady’s going to destroy the league this year like he did 2 years ago…and as a Pats fan, it would be so much fun having him on my team and watching the games. I’m not sure yet, though.

The Gardener

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
I have 2nd pick overall, so I’m torn between going with the Turner/Jones-Drew/Forte options, or doing what I really want and going with Brady. I think Brady’s going to destroy the league this year like he did 2 years ago…and as a Pats fan, it would be so much fun having him on my team and watching the games. I’m not sure yet, though.
Given that, I would draft Brady. Regardless of the whole Turner/Drew-Jones/Forte situation, Tom Brady IS a first round draft pick and if you don't take him with your number 2 pick, he'll be long gone before your second round pick. He's a solid first round pick, the Pats offense is a juggernaut.

I think its always good to have a few personal favorites on the fantasy team even if it means making a selection that is counter to the pundits' analysis. You may lose a little value, but, that just means you'll need to do a little more research and make up for it with value in other spots. I'm in a league with an auction draft, and I overpaid for Witten, but I admire his style of play and in my opinion he was worth it. I had Witten last year and it was absolutely imperative to draft him again. I need more Witten!

I'm not a big fan of Orton, he's a serviceable QB2 on a team that I think is going to be doing a lot of playing from behind, so they'll probably be doing a lot of passing. He's got a nice offense around him to work with, which is a plus.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree on picking personal favorites. I will likely take Brady, and will also pull the trigger early on Welker too.

I still have to weight my options on who to keep. Definitely torn between Orton and Stewart. Lots of pros and cons.