Fatherhood while on Propecia

syf77

Reaction score
Hi,

how many of you here fathered a child successfully while on Propecia treatment? Thanks!

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont think people on here are thing about having children at this point of there life.

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry Action but you do come up with some strange statements once in a while?! What's your reason for saying that? We're discussing hairloss on this forum and not child nursing. I, for one, am seriously thinking about having a child within the next couple of years.

However I do understand the initial questions and to answer your question I found this in the FAQ on this site:

Q: Is there a problem if my wife gets pregnant while I'm taking Finasteride?

A: No. Originally Merck decided to err on the side of caution and warned against the possible problem of finasteride transfer in semen. This warning has since been removed. At issue is the theoretical danger that there could be genital birth defects in the male fetus. However, women who are or could get pregnant should avoid finasteride ingestion and the handling of broken finasteride tablets.

Also there used to be an article (interview with Dr. Lee) where the issue was discussed. i looked around but could not find the topic. Basically the interview came to the same conclusion as the above.

G

ACT10Npack said:
I dont think people on here are thing about having children at this point of there life.

??

ACT10Npack, the giver of Knowledge. :)

I too am thinking about knocking one out in the next year or two, so whenever this subject comes up I am draw to it. What PartTimeNinja has posted above is basically the current thinking in this area.

It has also been noted on this forum a few times before that with all the finasteride that has been consumed in the last decade or so we have yet to see reports of genital abnormalities in new born babies.

The initial Merck warnings were, I believe, based on super large doses of finasteride given to monkies (not the band). I have probably got a few facts wrong in this last bit, but the point stands that there is no evidence to correlate a small daily dose (1-5mg) with birth abnormalities, but don't take my word do a search on the subject to diffuse your fears.

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
seeing how you child will most likely be bald, what will a little birth abnormality hurt?

G

I too am thinking of having a kid in the next two years. Problem is my girl is broken. So I will just keep banging away in the hope that I can fix her.