Ferritin levels, B12 and Zinc

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i have found out after years of doctors calling it "normal" that some of my hair loss has been due to an iron deficiency even though rare it is also left unoticed (2 years for me) because of an ignorance amonst doctors towards what is a suffeciant level for hair growth
like with ferritin the "normal" level is 20ng/ml - 300ng but in fact you need at least 100ng/ml for adequate hair growth
i am on ferritin sulphate now
i have been trying to look for a B12 level and a zinc level for hair growth with no luck
does anyone know what B12 and serum zinc level you need for good hair growth?

ali777

Reaction score
Are you vegetarian?

Your GP should be able to tell you about iron deficiency. One of my friends was told by her GP that she's got iron deficiency, she isn't even vegetarian. So, I presume the GPs are good with those things???

With the western diet it's very unlikely that you are vitamin and mineral deficient. However, if you are vegetarian, you have to plan your diet around the vitamins and minerals.

According to wikipedia there is no strict definition of low level for B12, it could be anything from 350 pg/liter to 600 pg/liter.

If you are unsure take some supplements. B vitamins are water soluble and there is no danger of toxicity. With the zinc, try not to overdo it. At high doses it can be toxic and it can prevent absorption of other minerals. I take 15mg of zinc 2-3 times a week.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
Are you vegetarian?

Your GP should be able to tell you about iron deficiency. One of my friends was told by her GP that she's got iron deficiency, she isn't even vegetarian. So, I presume the GPs are good with those things???
no i am not vegitarian
my ferrite is 39ng/ml
that is relatively low and doesn't cause life threatening problems, but it is too low for healthy hair growth
it is normally missed by GPs because they don't study hairloss that much
actually if it wasn't for my trichologist telling me i need at least 100 ng/ml i wouldn't of known
ali777 said:
With the western diet it's very unlikely that you are vitamin and mineral deficient. However, if you are vegetarian, you have to plan your diet around the vitamins and minerals.
i know it is but the diognosis seems conclusive with me
i admit my diet is sh*t, i love junk food ^_^
ali777 said:
According to wikipedia there is no strict definition of low level for B12, it could be anything from 350 pg/liter to 600 pg/liter.
good, i have 544, even though i supplement it like crazy to get that
ali777 said:
If you are unsure take some supplements. B vitamins are water soluble and there is no danger of toxicity. With the zinc, try not to overdo it. At high doses it can be toxic and it can prevent absorption of other minerals. I take 15mg of zinc 2-3 times a week.
i am aware, zinc poisoning sets in at about 10 times the RDA
it's just that the RDA values are quite vague because it doesn't take into account that people absorb different minerals at a different rate
my zinc is 14.4 and i am not sure if that is in the "normal" range
the thing is my iron is low despite my love of meat and iron fortified cereal

ali777

Reaction score
somone uk said:
i admit my diet is sh*t, i love junk food ^_^

the thing is my iron is low despite my love of meat and iron fortified cereal

That might be your problem. Change your diet and stay away from that nasty frosted crap that is targeted for the young adults. Despite being fortified with iron, most of the cereals are full of crap.

I don't think the science of vitamins and minerals is so straight forward, they all interact with each other and they help the absorption of other minerals, or in some cases they can prevent absorption. Eg, too much vitamin C and not enough vitamin A can slow iron absorption down. It all needs to be in balance.

Vitamin and minerals are absorbed more efficiently as part of normal diet, most of the supplements go down the toilet. You are better off with a balanced diet than supplements.

Change your diet and give it a month. You'll see the benefits sooner than you think. You might get cravings for junk food for the first week or so, but then you'll feel much better. Replace your chocolate bars with fruit, the frosted cereals with muesli, the chips with baked potatoes, coke with water, etc.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Supplementing with vitamin C will raise the level of absorption of iron naturally without supplementing ferritin.