Fightingback's Story - (22 / Day 1: Admitting it.)

Fightingback

Reaction score
This is very hard to type as I'm sure all of you have eventually had to swallow your pride and admit that there was something wrong going on. To be perfectly honest (and vent) I feel like crying right now, as I'm only 22 and looking back at my old pictures from high school I can see a very noticeable change in the amount of hair on my scalp.

Heredity:
My father is bald (but none of the other men in his family are, his brother/my uncle included, though he has a receding hair line and some patchiness in the back). I assume he got it from his mother-- meanwhile I'm too afraid to ask my own mother if her father was bald, as I suspect it would seal my fate.

History:
A long while back I remember worrying slightly about this in middle school. Obviously at that age it is a little soon to be concerned, and many of my friends reassured me that the "rose" in the back of their head was normal for all people, and I'm certain it is. When high school came around I entered a very unhealthy relationship with a girl who would often comment about how my hair is thinning. She stressed me out very badly and I ended up with some grays, and would pluck them out on occasion, which would stress me out about it more. While I'm now certain (thanks to the guide on this site) that my hair loss is probably not due to stress, she did not help the situation by teasing me or by disagreeing when I tried to reassure myself.

Since then I have been free of that ***** but my recent girlfriend has made some subtle comments as well. She first noted that my hair looked better when it was combed one side instead of another. I thought nothing of it at the time and enjoyed the new look for a while, knowing she liked it too. Then one day we were looking at some childhood portraits of myself my parents have hanging up around the house, when she remarked about how thick my hair used to be. I was defensive at first and I fished for excuses like "I just needed a hair cut" or "Well I must have just showered or something, my hair always gets frizzy."

Then one day I mentioned that my hair was thin, and was upset that I might go bald one day or have to undergo treatments. I suppose I was fishing for compliments or reassurance, but instead she said "well... everyone has to fight aging at some point in their life. I have to do it too, with wrinkles." Of course she's an amazing woman, but it isn't what I wanted to hear-- yet sometimes that's what you need.

I started by looking up the price of products like Rogaine, but realized that it could cost me $240 a year. Being on a very, very limited salary ($120 a month from oddball jobs from my ex's parents, sometimes half that) and living off $700 in savings from Census work, I wrote off the idea in my head and denied that I was losing hair. As time wore on, however, I continuously mulled over the idea of getting it.

Now:
Earlier today I grabbed one of my mom's mirrors and looked at the back of my head and noticed the bald patch back there was MUCH thinner than I remembered it being. There isn't any slickness yet, but I remembered it from the aforementioned childhood incident and it's so thin in comparison that I wanted to be sick. I feel like I have a disease. With the slightest bit of googling, I found this site. I read the men's guide at the start with more focus than anything I have given in my entire life, and this is coming from someone with ADD.

Then I got to the product section and looked at the price of treatments. That "cool laser comb" idea was $650. Rogaine is $60 for a mere 3 months, it supposedly smells bad, you have to use it every day, and you won't see results for a year. The Tricomin trio was over $100, and Propecia didn't even have a price listed, so I assumed the worst (and on top of that, someone has alleged to me that there is absolutely no way to have success without a DHT inhibitor).

The only relief I found was that Nizoral 1% was $9 at the Walgreens around the corner. Hair loss is extremely discouraging but these prices make my situation feel dismal.

So here I am, posting my story on these forums, and about ready to go out and buy some Nizoral 1% right away, ordering Tricomin spray online (and hoping it's enough, though this $40 remedy will allegedly only last me 6 weeks), and ordering Nizoral 2% online. I'm about to raid my parents pharmaceuticals because I'm certain I've seen Ketoconazole in there somewhere before. I'm preparing to brace my girlfriend for shedding (and for a slightly budgeted Christmas), and I'm getting my beanie ready. I feel a cold, sick feeling in my stomach, but I can only hope that the future me thanks me for this.

The fight against MPD has officially begun.

mike_b

Reaction score
Re: Fightingback's story - Age 22; Day 1: Admitting it.

I know how you feel.

You need to find a way to get Propecia. Don't start going down the road of various shampoos, cremes, etc.

BIG 3 - Nizoral, Finasteride, Minoxidil.

Try finasteride/nizoral for 6 mos to a year, then add minoxidil if necessary. Since you're talking crown loss, you'll likely get lucky and at least hold for a long time and maybe even experience some regrowth.

Fightingback

Reaction score
Re: Fightingback's story - Age 22; Day 1: Admitting it.

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to get some finasteride as soon as I can. Just curious though (since I already ordered the minoxidil) can I start using it right away or should I just wait?

Fightingback

Reaction score
IUbball22 said:
Since money seems to be an issue, I suggest seeing a doctor and asking for prescription of generic proscar.

Proscar is the exact same drug as propecia, but in a higher dose (5mg...propecia is 1mg).

You can now get 30 pills of proscar for $9 at walmart (other places it's around $30).

30 pills will last 4 months since you'll be cutting the pills in fourths to match the propecia dose. So, this will cost you around $2.50 a month for finasteride, which is pretty damn cheap.

F***ing. Awesome.

Thanks for the tip! A little while ago I was panicking and worried about all this, but my appointment is in a little over a week, and I'm looking forward to it.

Fightingback

Reaction score
Re: Fightingback's Story

Well it seems I can't change the title, haha.

Anyway, I finally got my generic proscar and cut up the pills into fourths last night. My doctor wasn't so sure the side effects were worth it, but given that I'm taking such small doses (in comparison to what its intended for) then I'm not worried. I'm starting to take them while using nizoral 1%, but I'm not sure if 2% is necessary because I don't know how to tell 'when to upgrade'. There's still itching on my scalp, especially after a hot shower, but doesn't everyone scratch their heads? :dunno:

Anyway, the doctor wasn't particularly convinced that it would help me grow hair, so he said come back in a few months and see him then for a follow-up. Looking forward to it!

Fightingback

Reaction score
So I've been on Proscar/Nix for almost a month now, and I was excited after the initial shed that my hair loss seemed to stop completely! However it was a shortlived victory, and I'm unsure if it was even correct to have anticipated such a thing. My hairloss continued a week or two later but not nearly to the extent that it used to be, and now I'm wondering if this is all a little premature.

How long does shedding last? How much is a "shed" (4 or 5 hairs in the sink, or 9 or 10)? Does proscar stop hair loss completely, or is that impossible even for people with healthy, full hair?