Finally doing something about it

hippydood

Reaction score
After lurking for a while I've finally decided to do something about my hair... (I guess everyone says that at some stage).

In many respects I've no right to be here as I still basically have a full head of hair but I've definitely noticed it thinning recently. I know this for a fact as I have it very long and tie it back in a pony tail for work - and my hair bands are so much more loose now than they were a year or so ago.

The hairline is still ok - ish - but I can notice it thinning and a scar I had from a child is now visible whereas previously it wasn't so there is a bit of movement there. I'll post pictures soon on that.

However it's the overall thining I'm more concerned about. That said, I'm almost 50 so I've had a good run at this so can't really complain about my lot - it's just if there is something positive I can do I'm going to do it.

My regime so far has been 1mg finistrade. I've been on that for 3 months. I thought I shedded a bit around a month or so - but not excessively so and it could have been just imagination - I'm not sure. About 10min of mild testicle pain four times is the only other side I've noticed - libido and performance remain unchanged.

I'm hoping this stops or at least drastically slows down any loss - fingers crossed for a bit of growth too.

However I've just started on 5% kirkland minoxidil - mostly at the hairline and along the ridge of my centre parting.

A question! - will the minoxidil cause more shedding beyond that caused by the finasteride? I can't see how it will as the hairs reaching the end of the life stage should already have been shed by the finasteride - but I'm sure there are others much more knowledgeable that I.

I suspect I'm one of the older people trialing this so it will be interesting to see the results - if any...

Another question! - after using the minoxodil I notice my skin feels warm and tight - just slightly uncomfortable - but not too bad. Does this ease with time? IMAG0688.jpgIMAG0690.jpgIMAG0689.jpg

Thanks for a great information source on this forum.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a head down shotIMAG0691.jpg

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow at 50 you've got a way better head of hair than me and I'm 22!!! I don't see why you would even bother but more power to you I guess. I started finasteride and rogaine at the same time so I don't know much about their separate shedding patterns but I can tell you that the slight sting you feel after you apply the minoxidil during the first couple months is normal. If it persists or becomes too intense and makes your scalp red then you should immediately drop it or lower the doses otherwise you could catch a bad case of scalp psoriasis (pretty rare but it happened to me) and lose more hair (not that I see any obvious thinning spots on your head as you have exceptional hair for someone your age).

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah...on second thought it might seem to others that you're either trolling us or have way to much time on your hands dude. You have almost perfect hair for someone your age. Drop the propecia and forget about the minoxidil is my advice and don't mess with what's not broke. The potential of sides far outweigh the benefits in your case.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
hippydood,

If I were you, I'd only stay with taking Finasteride for a while and see how well your hair loss stabilizes, I would not use Minoxidil for now. I do see some thinning of your hair in the pics, so again, I'd stay with Finasteride and not use any Minoxidil, at least for now. That's my recommendation, you have great hair for someone your age.

hippydood

Reaction score
Thanks - I was sort of thinking the same - just use the finasteride for now. I've only used the minoxidil for a few days and it's a complete pain to apply and not the most comfortable feeling.

I completely realise I've been lucky and my problems are not in the same league as most peoples in this regard - but the mental "downers" are the same regardless or age or overall effect - though in my case it's probably just more or a "getting old" thing.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great hair although it looks fine in texture. finasteride only is a good first try. As you say, if minoxidil can be avoided, it will be a bonus. Doesn't matter if you're 50, if you've lost hair recently, you can turn it around. You only need a small improvement but it's fine as it is really.

kenny-k

Established Member
Reaction score
I would do some weird **** for your hair buddy...I'm 22 and I'm what some people would
call bald...smh, stick with propecia...that's what I tell everyone who is twice my age when they ask ME for advice...God it's sad.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Your hair looks great for your age. If you are noticing overall thinning it could just be age related and finasteride does not reverse age related thinning. However, if you do have some androgenic alopecia happening it will help with that. I would avoid minoxidil if you can but it could help thicken up the diffuse thinning. I would look into treatments more for age related loss as I really think that is the main cause at this point. I am in the same boat as you. I have a good head of hair for my age but just not happy I have diffuse thinning all over and I always had straight fine hair so it does look thinner than it used to as well.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have a decent head of hair--way more than my son who is 20. You're never too old to stop caring about your appearance, though. Good luck with your treatments.

- - - Updated - - -

Your hair looks great for your age. If you are noticing overall thinning it could just be age related and finasteride does not reverse age related thinning. However, if you do have some androgenic alopecia happening it will help with that. I would avoid minoxidil if you can but it could help thicken up the diffuse thinning. I would look into treatments more for age related loss as I really think that is the main cause at this point. I am in the same boat as you. I have a good head of hair for my age but just not happy I have diffuse thinning all over and I always had straight fine hair so it does look thinner than it used to as well.

Is age-related hair thinning hair loss or just thinning of the hair strands? Oh, God, something else for me to worry about!

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

I am pretty sure that's not age related. Looks like male pattern baldness as there is loss of actual hair but not as severe when it happens for older guys (usually). Age related is not really well understood but at most it makes the hair look a little crap, that's it. Minoxidil helps as increases nutrients and blood flow to the hair follicle in this situation. All the things we laugh at for male pattern baldness treatment will help "age related hair weakness" like Biotin, Vitamins, eating healthy, good shampoos and minoxidil.

I saw an old man at the barbers with full hair, it seemed every so slightly "fragile" but by no means thinning. OP might want to check out his thyroid and iron levels as thinning for the first time at 50 could have a different cause. Most likely it is AA/male pattern baldness and he needs to get on finasteride, but see your local doctor first.

50 is also way too young for age related loss, he naturally has fine hair which may be confuse some people in regards to diagnosis.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
50 is also way too young for age related loss, he naturally has fine hair which may be confuse some people in regards to diagnosis.

Before hair loss and dreaded miniaturization, I colored my hair with semi-permanent dyes. The texture of my hair has always been fine but the strands became thicker using semi-permanent as opposed to permanent hair color. Something worth considering. Sadly, it has no effect on miniaturized hairs.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, there are plenty of options for fine hair or supposed age related thinning. Like from diet, to shampoos, dyes, vitamins, minoxidil e.t.c. Unfortunately, male pattern baldness/fpb is far more unforgiving with limited options. We really are at the mercy of our genes and anti androgens buying guys time.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Age related hair loss is mostly where the diameter of the hair shaft is smaller. I guess if you have less hairs per square inch that would be loss of density which is diffuse thinning. Regardless, I have noticed most men in their 40's and 50's tend to have diffuse thinning if they have a low Norwood. If you start off with very high density then as you age, your density loss may be very hard to detect as you age. Propecia definitely does not halt hair loss even if you start early but I guess it will slow things down. I started Propecia at a low Norwood but over the last 10 years I still have lost density but its all in a diffuse pattern and now I am losing density in the temple triangles in a retrograde pattern. I have an autoimmune disease of the thyroid so it could be due to that but my endo says if your thyroid hormone levels are normal it won't cause hair loss. I really thought if your hair loss becomes less aggressive later in life, Propecia would work even better during those times but for some reason it does not happen. The theory that your follicles becomes more sensitive to DHT as you age is why Propecia won't stop hair loss even in your 40's or 50's.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hippy don't be offended by this because I respect your style(as a matter of fact I used to wear my hair long) first of man your hair is strong. This cheap trick may not be on your radar of options, but simply speaking my perspective for a moment, were you to shorten your hair length (no more than a few inches) and add some conservative layering (no mullet) should enhance the illusion of greater volume, as well as complementarily accentuate the frame of your face. Also my girl speaks highly of Bed Head, a volumizer spray, generally available at salons or online. Also according to her you need really little to achieve optimum volume. No she's not on their payroll. Cut it or keep it, your hair ain't going to mind. All my best.

hippydood

Reaction score
Thanks for some great responses - very interesting stuff.

I've always had quite fine hair and indeed thought I was going to have problems at a young age - you could see my scalp at the crown but it never materialised until recently and I really notice it now so there has been some diffuse thinning over the last couple of years.

Medicially I'm fine - though I do take a prescription anti-acid for reflux problems.

I had thought of shortening it - I nearly cut it about 5 years ago but chickened out. There are reasons. I play guitar in a rock band some evenings so it's part of the uniform (bit of peer pressure there) I also tie it back for my daily office job. That just about works as the front sections just grow long enough for a pony tail to work. If I go any shorter there it will have to be really short.

Of course these are all self imposed problems - I could go shorter and solve some - but I've had my hair long since I was 15 so to me it's quite a big issue. (rich person's problems I know!)

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. That finistride doesn't really work for older people isn't the best of news but I don't think it can do any harm. I've also started using Nizoral shampoo hopefully that will help as well, I've been on finasteride for 3 months now and I do think shedding has decreased - though every hair that I do lose seems massive... probably down to 10 a day or so. Than again I, always seemed to shed a lot and it grew quickly too, just the type of hair I have I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I probably should add in all my years of dating, being in a band etc, as far as meeting girls are concerned, having hair makes absolutely no difference in the big picture - individuals will have preferences but overall it's not an issue. I just like my particular look and want to hang on to it as long as possible :)

hippydood

Reaction score
Just as an update to this thread.

It's been about a year since I started taking propicia and it definitely does work!

I stoped using the mixodel because of the rash it was giving me and tbh I didn't see much gain in it anyway - I was only applying it to the temples - which I understand is a lost cause in the best of times.

However - as above - I wear my hair tied back and I've noticed that over the last month or so the tiebacks I use fit better and have more grip. Ie, there is more (or thicker) hair for it to grip. I have been very religious about taking the daily pill at the same time - and I've only missed one day in the year but my hair is definitely fuller now.

Great news!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
+1
Great news.
I'm happy for you.