Finally recovered!

Flloydb

Reaction score
Thought I'd tell my story on how quite a bad situation of alopecia ended up with a full recovery.
The cause was either stress or pain, I had been working away for many months, and didn't realise how tired I was, at the same time I also had an accident at work falling of some ladders damaging my knee.
About a week after this happened I was at home recovering, i scratched the top of my head and noticed hair strands all over my hand.
I found I could pull out large amounts of hair with ease.
I was too worried to tell anyone until a few weeks later when a family member noticed a patch on top of my head, so I explained and they pressured me to see my GP.
My GP basically said there's nothing I can do and have a 50/50 chance of it coming back even if I use a hair stimulant such as regain.
I decided to leave it for a couple months to see if it got worse before trying a stimulant shampoo.
After another month the patch on the centre of my head got to be around 3x3 inches, I then found my stubble falling out in 3 different patches, the left side of my left eyebrow thinned and started falling out and I had another patch above my left ear starting.
As bad as it sounds, I'm a bloke and have shaved my head since the age of 13 (now 26) and pretty laid back in general. My other half ended up getting me some Alpecin shampoo and oil which I used for a 2 months, it seemed to have slowed down the process of my hair loss.
I really didn't think I had a chance on any re growth, as the follicles on my head were non existent.
The alpecin ran out and I came to the realisation that my hair wasn't coming back so I'll just have to make the extra effort to keep my self close shaved at all times.

About 3 months after I stopped using the alpecin I was working away again and forgot my shaver, so after a couple days my stubble started to grow and there were no patches! The day after my hair was noticeably growing over the patches that were there before! My eyebrow took about another month to fully re grow.

I'm writing this a year on and I'm of course fully recovered, but I can't put my recovery down to alpecin shampoo and oil alone, more me coming to the realisation and accepting the situation - basically not giving a sh*t

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. I am in a similar case suffering hair loss from an ACL surgery I had 6 months ago. Only difference is that I suffered hair loss in the frontal area, not at the vertex. My knee is almost stabilized now and pain in the knee is gradually lessening. My hair seems to be coming back and they are harder to be pulled out compared to 6 months ago. Hopefully I will recover fully just like you did. Thanks for sharing your story.

jasperhobbs

Reaction score
Were either of you taking pain killers? Sometimes medication can trigger hair loss. I really believe that is what brought on my alopecia.

Jasper Hobbs

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were either of you taking pain killers? Sometimes medication can trigger hair loss. I really believe that is what brought on my alopecia.

Jasper Hobbs

Yes, I took narcotic (opiate) for at least two weeks. I can't remember the exact period, but I am guessing around 3 weeks. It triggered massive shedding, which continued for 5 months. I was also on finasteride for last two months, which caused extra shedding.

Flloydb

Reaction score
Brilliant, hope you have a full recovery!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi jasper no I didn't take any sort of pain killer during before and after my hair loss period. My sister in law had recently developed a minor case of alopecia, she was advised to take a blood test to check for any vitamin deficiency.
Came back vitamin c was a little low, she took 1 vitamin c pill a day for 1 month and her hair has fully returned! I think I would recommend anyone to have their blood analysed as May be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency.