Finas/minoxidil 1 year shedd. Please help me.

pets123

Reaction score
Hello

My name is Pete and I am 19 years old.

13 Months ago I started finasteride/minoxidil (ketonazole was added later on) regimen. I had a huge shedd the first two months and then during the autumn I started to gain regrowth. Throughtout the winter and spring I had good results, hairline slightley better, crown much better and an overall nice thickness.

I was pleased with the results. I'd say I went from being a NW2 to maybe NW1.5 when it was at its best. It was a great time of my life.

However, it seems like it didn't last too long at all. Exaclty 1 month ago I started to lose a lot of hairs, much like when I started finas/minoxidil 1 year ago. This scares me very much because I don't understand why am I losing it. I mean, I haven't changed my medications or anything at all.

I was having such great results and now, just within one month, it's all gone. I can't believe that it is happening again.

Perhaps I'm going through another sheddphase which then would result in another great hair regrowth. That's what I'm telling myself and that's what still keep me in the game of fighting hairloss.

Worth to say is that I have a very good diet and I do aerobic exercises every 2nd day. Try to keep my body in fit. I also don't use any drugs at all, I dont even drink coffeine.

Would like to hear what you guys think. You don't know how much I'd appreciate a few words from you. This summer has been a total nightmare for me, been all alone whole summer not doing anyhing except being at home.

Is it possible that my hairs are once again, shedding, only to come back stronger?

Thank you everyone.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
a lot of people seem to experience the same problem.
It could just be a seasonal shed.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read about other guys going through a shed as well after a year. When did you start Nizoral? Apparently it can cause sheds too.

pets123

Reaction score
It's not the nizoral. I started it approximatley 2 months after finas/minoxidil. With other words, I've been on nizoral for ~11months.

Seasonal. Perhaps... Guess I'll just have to stick out no matter how hard it is

Edit: Thanks for your replies

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Your story is exactly like mine tbh. Same shed intervals since starting finasteride (and Ive read the same from others). I too had a major shed about the 12month mark on finasteride - my hair went from looking ok to totally crap! it probably lasted longer than any of the other sheds I have had too - about 2 months (maybe longer) but slowly I feel it is stabilizing. Ive learnt one thing about this drug and that is I will always go through cycles of shed but I can cope with these as I feel it has given me hope! I suppose thats better than just doing nothing!

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your story is exactly like mine tbh. Same shed intervals since starting finasteride (and Ive read the same from others). I too had a major shed about the 12month mark on finasteride - my hair went from looking ok to totally crap! it probably lasted longer than any of the other sheds I have had too - about 2 months (maybe longer) but slowly I feel it is stabilizing. Ive learnt one thing about this drug and that is I will always go through cycles of shed but I can cope with these as I feel it has given me hope! I suppose thats better than just doing nothing!

I guess that's I'm looking at it also, when I first started finasteride, I went through a bad shed, but a couple of months later my hair was looking better and better, and now, about a week or so ago, I noticed it's not looking the best, I'm only 6 months in, hopefully it is a shed, or a seasonal shed, I'll stick it out of course.

Just praying it's not as bad as when I first started!

8O

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I got a huge shed a year after being on finasteride but it was accompanied by scabby bumps all over, when I started nizoral every other day it controlled it. That was back in February and everythign has returned to normal, and I do believe it is thicker too!

Don't give up on your regimen! Stick it out!

Hey Irish, I've been there. I notice some weeks I think I'm losing ground and the next week it will look better than ever. I think it's the anxiety that most of us hair loss sufferers carry. I take pics about once a week just so I can compare it when I'm feeling down. I usually find it doesn't look any different then before.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got a huge shed a year after being on finasteride but it was accompanied by scabby bumps all over, when I started nizoral every other day it controlled it. That was back in February and everythign has returned to normal, and I do believe it is thicker too!

Hey Irish, I've been there. I notice some weeks I think I'm losing ground and the next week it will look better than ever. I think it's the anxiety that most of us hair loss sufferers carry. I take pics about once a week just so I can compare it when I'm feeling down. I usually find it doesn't look any different then before.

True, pal. I've prepared myself for the ups and downs of treating hairloss, it's just about a month ago, my hair looked out-phucking-standing, and now it's looking "meh", which lead me to believe that I'm entering a shed.

Ah well, bring it on! lol.

pets123

Reaction score

How long did the shedding phase last for you? I'm soon at 2 months...

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, I'm the "meh" stage as well haha. Now I'm fearing my hair part is widening again but not sure. If I get another huge shed I'm cutting my hair short so won't obsess as much. I always say "I'll know if I'm good by this date," but then that date rolls around and I'm worried about a whole new aspect of my hair lol.

True, pal. I've prepared myself for the ups and downs of treating hairloss, it's just about a month ago, my hair looked out-phucking-standing, and now it's looking "meh", which lead me to believe that I'm entering a shed.

Ah well, bring it on! lol.

- - - Updated - - -

pets123, I started noticing it last Februry and it didn't stop until April but it might have gone on longer than that. My hair looked absolutely terrible in that time. Now I'm always worried it will happen again.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"By this date"

Hahaha, I'm exactly the same, except with unrealistic expectations, this girl I've been trying to hook up with invited me to her graduation party on the 1st of September, no chance I'll stop shedding by then, have a horrible feeling about it, she's really attractive too, so I'm crapping it, haha, hopefully it's not too bad by then. :3

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. I'm always nervous whenever the family wants to get together, and there are some big events coming up soon that I was hoping to have regrown the shed hair for.

IrishFella- Have you tried any concealers?

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah man, my shed isn't bad enough to warrant concealers, but you never know, that could change, hopefully not, couldn't be arsed with them. Fingers crossed.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one haha. I didn't use concealers until that last big shed, they helped a lot. I know how you feel, I've been getting a lot more attention from attractive girls lately and I couldn't bear another huge shed ruining that for me. Funny thing is, they can flirt all they want but I'm too shy to make a move as it is so it doesn't matter much anyway I guess.

pets123

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies everyone. Seems like I just have to stick through it

Also, i'm thinking of just buzzing my hair real short since it will probably be easier mentally. Really frustrating to see hairs shedding all the time and if I just buzz it, I won't notice them as much. I heard it's good for the scalp as well, to buzz it every now and then. I mean, I can't really make any acceptable hairstyles anyway with my current hair. . .

What do you think about that?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd come back and post an update. Shedding has stopped now. I've posted this in my story. Incredible. Hang in there guys!