finasteride - >1y shed

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there, feeling pretty jittery and worried so sorry if this message is written badly.
i started finasteride about 17 months ago, 17 and a half, and up to about 10 months saw increasingly good progress, really thickened up my hairline and restored it somewhat. then somewhere around the year mark i started to lose a lot again and had that old thing of itchy scalp and a ton of hair in the shower. now at 17 months, i've thinned.... a lot around the temples.

i was wondering if anyone who'd had similar experiences could share them with me - is this a permanent loss of the temporary gains? is this a usual shed? how do i know if it's a shed and not male pattern baldness catching up to me? the usual kinda question.

thanks for your time.

img23

Banned
Reaction score
Good question. I am in the same boat. Having a shed after over a year of finastride. I read the stuff saying shed is good, but I expected it sooner than now. Is it good or bad after a year? A shed before a year seems to be what they say is normal, but after a year what does that mean?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I don#t have an answer but I'm at the one year mark with a big shed too.

It could be a periodic shed in your case? Have you lost less hair in between the sheds? Has the number gone down?

You should relax and see if you lose ground. In any case, using an efficient treatment, there is a good chance you can get what you lose now back...

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to add, I too have been on finasteride for one year now, my hair has gone through cycles of shed then growth - but each time the growth would be better than the last. Thats until recently when I have been shedding non stop for 2 months and getting freaked out - hair simply flys off at the very slightest touch!! I asked a "future" HTdoctor on another site and he seemed to think it was a seasonal shed. But Im not too sure!

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
It's the same here...still lose 120-150 hairs daily. Today 180..
Not looking better in the back either. I don't know what to make of it but I'm starting to panic too. What if finasteride is not effective enough to halt my loss?

The thing is this: what options do we have? Stopping finasteride? Not really, then everything will be worse and we can be sure we will continue to lose it right?
I'm wondering if there is anything to add that may stop the shedding?! Hang in there...

FiniMin

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for 10 months and still shedding so I've decided to add Grape Seed Extract and Saw Palmetto to help. They both seem to be pretty effective in helping hairloss. I haven't read that they would hurt so I figure its worth giving them a chance for about 3 to 6 months at least and go from there.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
do you really need to take saw palmetto if your already taking finasteride? you can get grape seed extract in decent multi vitamin tablets specifically for hair and nails.