Finasteride And Trying To Have A Baby

marshmallow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd sign up and post my experience with taking finasteride 1mg/day and trying to conceive with my wife. We have been trying for a baby since September 2016. We were really trying (as in pinpointing ovulation dates etc). I was worried though...mainly because I was thinning quite badly and I knew that I wanted to try finasteride before it was at the point of no return. I had been thinning for the past 5 years very slowly (I am now 29yrs old). I used minoxidil once daily off and on for the past 5 years but never stuck to it.

I decided to bite the little orange bullet however, and started taking finasteride on the 29th Dec 2016. I had done a lot of research into this and knew the possible side effects that might hinder pregnancy. I also knew and had told my wife that under no circumstances, she should touch or even go near these tablets whether pregnant or not.

So, I started finasteride. For the first 2 weeks, I took 1mg every other day (every 2 days). I just wanted to see how my body would react. In this 2 weeks, there was nothing...no side effects whatsoever. I think my sex drive increased maybe. (some might call this a side effect).

I then decided to go for 1mg per day. All was exactly the same for about 2-3 weeks until I did notice some side effects. These were - watery semen, slightly lowered libido (could still perform when required) and not quite as hard erections (still good though).

After about 2 weeks, the side effects went away. By the way, the pressure to jump to action to conceive is more than I thought it would be. Perhaps a psychological effect that I misdiagnosed as a finasteride side effect. The only side effect that remained was a little more watery semen than usual (before finasteride).

So at this point, we had been trying for about 4-5 months with no pregnancy. My wife thought it might be good to try conceiving supplements (Pregnacare - for him and her). This is by no means an advert for
Pregnacare btw. Mine had different ingredients than hers and I think it had something to do with producing better semen quality to protect the sperm. I'm sure I saw zinc on the ingredients which I know is good for that.

And boy did it work. I took one tablet before going to bed every night and ever since the day after starting (Pregnacare), my semen returned to normal consistency. It is now 24th Feb 2017 and we found out a couple of days ago that my wife is pregnant :). So that's just under 2 months from starting finasteride.

As for my hair, I decided to buzz it short. I take finasteride daily, use minoxidil 2x daily and use nizoral shampoo 2-3 times per week. It's still early doors but I have seen an improvement already! I have tons of small, peach hairs that are coming through in the spaces between my thick hairs. I know this because I took very magnified pics on my phone and can zoom in with amazing clarity. I did this before I started and frequently.

I brush my scalp for about 15-20 mins every couple of days. I do this with slight vigor, using a brush with those small round balls at the end of the bristles so it doesn't scratch my head. I find this makes blood rush to my scalp and it brushes away clogging dead skin cells. I've heard that blood supply can promote hair growth. Scalp massages do this too and it helps to flush away toxins, DHT and oil build up in pores. I wash my head immediately after and apply minoxidil foam. which by the way, gets amazing coverage and penetration when my hair is very short. Judging by the results I've seen in as little as 2 months, I think I'll see much more in the next year. After a year, I'll do a full year report with pics.

Hope this helps anyone. I was looking for a post like this when I was researching but most were asking advice. If there are any questions feel free to ask!

Oh, and I should say that I'm not a doctor and any info above is purely my own experience and method.

Thanks for reading!

Needmorehair11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man congrats on the pregnancy! I waited until I got my wife pregnant before I jumped on Propecia....while your wife is pregnant you might want to look at using condoms just to be extra safe. That's what we are doing....you are probably fine not using them but we wanted to take all precautions when it comes to that....congrats again and good luck with the pregnancy and hair growth!