finasteride dosage question

misterium

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently my Rx provider switched companies.. which means there is a delay in how long it will take before I received my refill for Propecia 1mg.

I'm just now starting my 7th month. I have never missed a dose, and today I had to take my first chunk of Proscar in absence of my Propecia tablet.

Apparently it will be 1 - 2 weeks before I receive my refill. If I was not prepared like a good boy scout, I would be going without my daily finasteride dose... however, I have a couple blister packs of Proscar as backup. :D

I just cut up a few pills into 5ths, so I will be using these while waiting for my Propecia to arrive... hopefully sooner than 2 weeks sheesh!

I was wondering, since the dosage of the cut pieces of Proscar can vary a little bit from chunk to chunk... will this affect my regimine in any negative ways?

I figure since my body is used to the exact 1mg dose of Propecia, something might arise due to the variation in the Proscar chunks.

I don't think it will cause problems but I wanted to be sure.. any info?

G

I take 1/4 or 1/3 I don´t think it matters.
1/5 seems underdosage since you 1) lose some of the stuff when you cut it 2) peel away some of the tablets protective coat.

drinkrum

Reaction score
nesta said:
I take 1/4 or 1/3 I don´t think it matters.
1/5 seems underdosage since you 1) lose some of the stuff when you cut it 2) peel away some of the tablets protective coat.

I wouldn't take 1/3 -- no need to waste the extra Proscar. Take 1/4 (skipping the 5th day) or 1/5 everyday. I, actually, started taking 1/6 everyday. Medical literature supports, and doctors understand, that a 0.5 mg dose even is practically as effective as a 1 mg dose.

D.

misterium

Reaction score
Okay great.. so I have no worries.

Yeah I broke my Proscar into 5ths, so I'm going to take just the biggest chunks for now until my Propecia arrives.

Thanks.