finasteride/dutasteride...then RU?

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I like many other posters here that have selected to use RU58841 as their next line of treatment after realizing that finasteride and dutasteride are not doing what they used to. Quick background - started finasteride in 2002, considered myself an "excellent responder" good regrowth initially results peaked in 2005 ( graduated to dutasteride then) and then a VERY slow decline until Jan 2010.

I started getting sides from finasteride and dutasteride ( gyno, limp dick, weight gain ) in Sept 2004; however, I kept taking it as I was only 24 years old then and didn't want to be bald. I struggled thru different tricks to get my dick hard from Andractim to Arimidex etc etc thru the years 2004-2009 with mild success. Fast forward to Jan 2010: I noticed that my hair would get a little greasier then normal, and I wasn't having any good hair days...mildly concerned I just kept taking my dutasteride as normal. I then noticed that taking dutasteride wasn't giving me itchy nips or weight gain like it used to, I was able to perform sexually without andractim or arimidex. Slowly, my hair began to shed...I always wondered to this day did finasteride/dutasteride just STOP working? Stop inhibiting 5ar? I know that at the 5-7 year mark many men experience the same thing ( finasteride stops working ) but I wonder if it my AR receptors (not just in my scalp) found a way to be "Super sensitive" and pick up any and all androgens in my body?

Fast foward to now, I bought RU58841, lost a decent amount of hair and am now starting my journey. My question to all you RU success stories: Ya think I gotta a chance here as I was successful for years on finasteride and dutasteride? Been on RU for a six days so far so its too soon to tell.

Thoughts and opinions welcome here.

Pars

Reaction score
Question - have you tried minoxidil + Nizoral?

The reason I ask is why jump into an experimental (and extremely expensive) treatment aftering having tried just one of three recommended therapies?

Regardless, if you decide to proceed with RU I recommend taking baseline pictures followed by weekly/biweekly photos. Also, keeping a diary can be good practice in this type of situation as well - I recommend making entries with your photos.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
minoxidil does not address the underlying fundamental balding process. minoxidil may help his hair for a year or 2 but if androgens are hurting his hair, which they are, then it wont do much good in the long.

Nizoral is a weak treatment at best.

ugh, it depends on how much RU your planning on using and how much scalp your going to cover with it.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As you get older your DHT increases. It could be a stage in your life where DHT has spiked. It may drop down after a year or so.

Have you had lots of stress recently?