finasteride improves hair quality, not just quantity

rescue hair

Reaction score
This might just be me, but I've only been on finasteride for about 3 weeks, and although there is no increase in quantity or mass of hair yet, the quality has drastically improved to the point where, regardless of loss or regrowth, my hair looks like it did a year ago. Instead of dry and thin and unhealthy, it's much shinnier and thicker and smoother. I used to get compliments on my hair all the time, but haven't for several months. Since starting my regimen only a month ago, however, I have received 2 compliments within the last week. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, this improvement might also be due to Nizoral, which I started at the same time as finasteride. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

Axon

Reaction score
Agreed, my hair just looks better. Probably because even the hair that still appears "normal" is still thinner than it was before I began to lose.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
3 weeks is too short to give you a thought on propecia. 3 months is the minimum and your not even close to that.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
ACT10Npack said:
3 weeks is too short to give you a thought on propecia. 3 months is the minimum and your not even close to that.

You can see an improvemnt in hair quality when taking vitamins in about 3 weeks, maybe finasteride is having a similar effect.

polster

Reaction score
I thinks its more of a mind of matter thing! If you think propecia or nizoral or whatever is going to help grow your hair back then when you look in the mirror you try to finda reason saying yeh this is helping me! Kinda like the placebo effect! It the most powerfull effect as many researchers of medical studies show that if you think something is helping you even if its a sugar pill, but you thinking your taking asprin. The Mind is stronger than ones own reality or perception!

/polster

rescue hair

Reaction score
I know that it's WAY too soon to see any results as far as hair growth goes, but what I was getting at was sort of what Thomas said, that the effect is sort of like taking vitamins, in that the hair I still have is healthier looking. It doesn't look like it's dying anymore. But like I said, it could also be the Nizoral. Perhaps even just the change of weather.

muii

Established Member
Reaction score
if anything nizoral dries the hair out, it does not make the hair look healthier, its rather harsh on the hair, but to some people effective.

Dimebolt3000

Reaction score
I agree Rescue Hair....everyone told me i was crazy too. Ive been on finasteride for a month now and within the last week, totally notice my hair is shinier and smoother. Results are results...maybe some others didnt notice anytihng, but i certianly did/do now. OF course, as you said, there is absolutely no regrowth yet as it is too soon, but the quality of my hair is definitely noticeable.

Rescue, keep me posted on your results as we seem to have started finasteride at similar times.

Good luck frined.

Dimebolt

drinkrum

Reaction score
Propecia takes a few months to actually affect hair count tests. But it does lower DHT immediately and so it may make a difference in hair quality much sooner. It may be mind-over-matter but I wouldn't totally discount these guys. I remember when I started finasteride 4+ years ago. After the first few weeks, I noticed less fallout and generally a better looking head of hair.

D.

Dimebolt3000

Reaction score
Thank you "drinkrum".....people can claim whatever about my current results, but they are what they are. I have no reason to lie, as i am trying to help everyone here with my personal results. There will always be "know it alls".

Best of luck to all,
BOLT