finasteride + minoxidil + nizoral 4 month update

OldNo.7

Reaction score
I posted here a while back detailing concerns of a follicular nature, primarily recession to a NW3 ish stage at 25 years old. Well, I obtained a prescription for Proscar and, for the first month took 0.5 mg per day to wean myself onto it, eventually upping to 1 mg on around the 10th January. Around the same time I began a 3 month treatment of foam minoxidil, due to having fairly thick hair I found that a large percentage of it would just stick to the hair so last month I began to use the liquid form (twice a day 1 ml applications), far easier to apply. I also use Nizoral 2-3 days per week and take Biotin supplements.

The first picture is from November 12th, a month before I began using finasteride.

The second picture is from today.

Sides from finasteride:
- Ball ache for the first two weeks, after moving onto 1 mg it resumed for a few days. Mostly manageable, though one day in particular was almost cripplingly bad - it hit me partway through walking the dog and I had to hobble home and felt like **** for the remainder of the day. Nothing since though.
- Watery semen

Sides from minoxidil:
- Noticeable increase in spots around the forehead region, pores above my nose appear larger. Haven't noticed any discernible ageing of the skin.
- Greasy scalp from liquid form

Luckily I haven't experienced any ED or libido issues from finasteride, quite the opposite in fact, perhaps due to the increased test production.

Thoughts
Although it isn't significant, it's apparent that recession has continued in the temple region and at the front. Is it normal to not notice any improvements/stability at around the 4 month stage? Or should I move on to something stronger? My hair is very thick and grows in such a way that, as long as the top is kept longer than the sides, hairloss isn't apparent (unless wet).

Attachments

• 2015-04-03 19.24.13.jpg
    2015-04-03 19.24.13.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 333
  • pulledback.jpg
    pulledback.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 356

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Honestly can't tell the pictures are different angles and your pulling your hair back in the second, but generally you wait a year before switching. Improvments/stability vary for each person. Some get them sooner some get them later some don't get none at all. Like you said your hair looks thick minus the temples, I would hold on a little bit more before switching.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
Not much important, but that's by no mean any close to a NW3, in my opinion. Especially if you had a natural high forehead to begin with.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is like me, high forehead, similar hairline. Norwood 2.5. finasteride can take up to a year and minoxidil normally starts to give results at the 4 month point according to the makers. Thing is, you don't have much to regrow like me, in the sense you have thick hair elsewhere, but empty areas at the front. You probably will need a transplant.

I still have hope because my areas are not completely bald at the front, it is more or less, but there are miniaturised/new hairs coming through. As well as healthy hairs I regularly shave down from where my original hairline used to be, forehead was the perfect size then.