finasteride patent expires in 2005

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
xracergs said:
http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh31644_2005-01-10_16-25-34_n10186196_newsml

what do you think this will mean to pricing of finasteride?? its about $60 now

Drop.

the article said:
"Although overall cancer risk was reduced in the trial, more patients taking Proscar developed aggressive types of tumors than those taking placebos -- somewhat clouding the advisability of using the medicine as a cancer preventive."
:freaked: :freaked2:

G

I think that was 5mg a day? Can anyone confirm?

and not 1mg or 1.25mg?

God, I hate reading this type of thing. Especially when I am seeing no results anyway, from proscar.

:freaked2:

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Gunner said:
I think that was 5mg a day? Can anyone confirm?

and not 1mg or 1.25mg?

God, I hate reading this type of thing. Especially when I am seeing no results anyway, from proscar.

:freaked2:

Yeah sure it was - silly me.

The article is not about hairloss but about prostate. And since Proscar is designed for prostate it must have been 5 mg a day.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Proscar's patent expires in June 2006 not 2005. The pricing for 30 Proscar pills with a prescription is roughly $75. When cut up into 1mg pieces that works out to be $15 a month. Already very cheap.
I would imagine Merck will most likely keep their pricing the same and the generic will be a little cheaper. Most likely it will not have any effect on Propecia's price

G

the article said:
"Although overall cancer risk was reduced in the trial, more patients taking Proscar developed aggressive types of tumors than those taking placebos -- somewhat clouding the advisability of using the medicine as a cancer preventive."

These kinds of statements can be read as "Proscar can cause cancer" the truth is that Proscar does not cause cancer (it actually reduces the incidence of cancer). But if you do develop prostate cancer for all the normal reasons (that is not caused by finasteride) the prostate modulating effect of Proscar will make it harder to detect and therefore it is more likely to reach 'late stage' where it on eventual detection it will be considered more aggressive.

Think of it like a drug which makes your lungs look healthy (HealthyLungâ„¢), you can take this stuff without worry, but you also smoke, you then develop an aggressive lung cancer from the smoking, but this is not detected because HealthyLungâ„¢ is still doing it's thing and making your lungs look healthy, eventually it will get to stage (the late/aggressive stage) when even HealthyLungâ„¢ cannot cover up the damage the smoking has done.

The report will say "those who used HealthyLungâ„¢ are more likely to get an aggressive form of the cancer"

This is true, But HealthyLungâ„¢ did not cause the cancer.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
the article said:
These kinds of statements can be read as "Proscar can cause cancer" the truth is that Proscar does not cause cancer (it actually reduces the incidence of cancer). But if you do develop prostate cancer for all the normal reasons (that is not caused by finasteride) the prostate modulating effect of Proscar will make it harder to detect and therefore it is more likely to reach 'late stage' where it on eventual detection it will be considered more aggressive.

Think of it like a drug which makes your lungs look healthy (HealthyLungâ„¢), you can take this stuff without worry, but you also smoke, you then develop an aggressive lung cancer from the smoking, but this is not detected because HealthyLungâ„¢ is still doing it's thing and making your lungs look healthy, eventually it will get to stage (the late/aggressive stage) when even HealthyLungâ„¢ cannot cover up the damage the smoking has done.

The report will say "those who used HealthyLungâ„¢ are more likely to get an aggressive form of the cancer"

This is true, But HealthyLungâ„¢ did not cause the cancer.

Could not have said it better myself!

nawlins99

Reaction score
wait a sec...i thought all these "proscars,finasterides, fincars, etc." were ORIGINALLY to help FIGHT cancer and then discovered it helped hair loss. we cant go wrong then , correct?

also, ive gone to 1mg /day of fincar after a year of 1.25/day because of sex drive loss and really no change in my hair growth. any comments?

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nawlins99 said:
wait a sec...i thought all these "proscars,finasterides, fincars, etc." were ORIGINALLY to help FIGHT cancer and then discovered it helped hair loss. we cant go wrong then , correct?

also, ive gone to 1mg /day of fincar after a year of 1.25/day because of sex drive loss and really no change in my hair growth. any comments?

It was first used as proscar to counter an enlarged prostate and not prostate cancer. I think you should check this information with a professional medical group.

goingoinbutnotgone

Established Member
Reaction score
You'll probably see several "knock-off" brands come out with much lower prices.

In my business, I used to buy Round-up for killing grasses. When the patent came up, I could buy the same active ingredient in a knock-off brand dor about 1/2 the price.

Hopefully, we can get it for $7 instead of $15.