finasteride Shed- Horseshoe or Everywhere?

djApolloCreed

Reaction score
I've read that the shed from finasteride effects only hair follicles already affected by dht. If this is true, then hair should shed only from hair within the classic horseshoe on top of your head. I'm 7 weeks into finasteride, and I've noticed quite a bit of shedding from the back of my head, between the neck and crown, an area excluded from male pattern baldness. I was wondering if this is from the finasteride- if anyone else on here experienced shedding there. sh*t, I don't even know if it's from the finasteride at all... I just can't think of reason for me to be shedding there as well. Maybe it's just from wigging out about going bald.

G

Well, i noticed that too after about 3 or 4 weeks on finasteride and i too asked a question on this board about it. Didn't really get any responses except that perhaps some of the hairs i shed from the top just got caught down in the non male pattern baldness areas and then i noticed them later. But i doubt this because the hairs on the sides and back of my head are significantly shorter than that on the top. Don't worry about it, it should pass.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It depends on the pattern of your hair loss. I have the same thing with the horseshoe shedding. Although it's hard to notice it. I think when you shed when using propecia most of the increase shedding is coming from the part of the hair where DHT is attacking. Which may give you a heads up on where your hair loss is going to go through. But the shedding should stop and hair should come back in to place.

Everything that I say was not proving, it's just a concluding of what I think and data that read from and putting the two together.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that I read on minoxidil.com that you can shed from all areas of the scalp when going through a shed from finasteride, including areas that are not being effected from male pattern baldness.