Finasteride shedding...

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Only been on it for 3 weeks so I'm not freaking out, but when does the shedding stop? I never had crown issues but it seems I'm shedding a LOT of hair from my crown--especially in the shower.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding went dramatically down the 3 months in my case. However I'm using minoxidil too.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
between 6 weeks-4 months is when the shedding will likely stop

jacobi33

Reaction score
I'm curious about the science on shedding. I don't mean why it happens, but whether there are known variances in its occurrence or the intensity of its occurrence depending on identifiable variances in subjects.

OP - what is your Norwood? How was your hair before you started propecia? Were you shedding before?

I started propecia two weeks ago and my results are the opposite. I was shedding massively before I went on propecia, and once I did, the shedding stopped. However, I would guess that the following could be the case:

I think I'm a Norwood 2.5/3 (not sure exactly), with all of my loss concentrated on the hairline and vertex. I had a huge "balding" shed right before I started to take propecia, and so lost a lot of the hairs that would have been shed once I started on propecia. Consequently, there may not be a whole lot of hairs left at the moment to go through a shedding cycle, which will probably come in a few months for me, if any of those lost hairs are coaxed into trying to come back.

It may even be better to have shedding at the beginning, as it might signal that you're going to save most of those hairs.

[*NB: the above is pure speculation, not based on any research*]

theonelink

Reaction score
Only been on it for 3 weeks so I'm not freaking out, but when does the shedding stop? I never had crown issues but it seems I'm shedding a LOT of hair from my crown--especially in the shower.

2 months of HEAVY shedding followed 5 months of steady shedding ... lol. Has stopped now, I lost some of the crown too man... sucks much dick

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the science on shedding. I don't mean why it happens, but whether there are known variances in its occurrence or the intensity of its occurrence depending on identifiable variances in subjects.

OP - what is your Norwood? How was your hair before you started propecia? Were you shedding before?

I started propecia two weeks ago and my results are the opposite. I was shedding massively before I went on propecia, and once I did, the shedding stopped. However, I would guess that the following could be the case:

I think I'm a Norwood 2.5/3 (not sure exactly), with all of my loss concentrated on the hairline and vertex. I had a huge "balding" shed right before I started to take propecia, and so lost a lot of the hairs that would have been shed once I started on propecia. Consequently, there may not be a whole lot of hairs left at the moment to go through a shedding cycle, which will probably come in a few months for me, if any of those lost hairs are coaxed into trying to come back.

It may even be better to have shedding at the beginning, as it might signal that you're going to save most of those hairs.

[*NB: the above is pure speculation, not based on any research*]

NW2. Honestly, I'm surprised I still have coverage on the crown area with all the shedding I have in the shower. When I wash my hair I see hairs allllllll over my fingers. It's crazy. I never noticed shedding before starting, I just saw that my hairline had miniaturization and was moving further back.

jacobi33

Reaction score
NW2. Honestly, I'm surprised I still have coverage on the crown area with all the shedding I have in the shower. When I wash my hair I see hairs allllllll over my fingers. It's crazy. I never noticed shedding before starting, I just saw that my hairline had miniaturization and was moving further back.

I would be freaked out if that happened to me, and of course it still might. I only commented because I thought there might be some relevance in the fact that I had a huge shed before I started finasteride, and it seems you did not. What you describe happening to you now on finasteride, in the shower, for example, is what was happening to me before I started finasteride. That may be entirely irrelevant and it could all boil down to simple biochemical diversity between people.

Lennox

Reaction score
i have Never red that u guys check out your dht level
my level was much to high during finasterid
in same cases it seems to make an increase everbody who has the feeling that dht inhibators make things worse should Check out shbg igf-1 and DHT