Finasteride shedding

chimes

Reaction score
I had a receding hairline but zero crown loss until now.

I've been taking finasteride 1mg for 9 days now, and I took minoxidil for 3 weeks then quit for a few days but have decided to start it up again today. Anyway I noticed some shedding in the crown area where I previously had zero crown loss. Is this normal?

Also, my hairline is now shedding pretty bad, and I'm scared that I will continue to shed into oblivion and ruin my hairline and that finasteride/minoxidil won't recover from it. I understand that it's too early to tell, but it's still very worrying.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Might just be your male pattern baldness kicking into overdrive. Unless you put the minoxidil on your crown might be from that after stopping.

chimes

Reaction score
Might just be your male pattern baldness kicking into overdrive. Unless you put the minoxidil on your crown might be from that after stopping.

I only put minoxidil on my temples before. Basically it was fully thick and now there's some slight loss on my crown. I didn't take pics but it should be obvious what I'n describing. What the hell could be causing this? Just finasteride/minoxidil shedding of miniaturising hairs or what

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Unsure exactly how fast people can shed when taking propecia, I started to shed after 3 weeks. It's probably just your male pattern baldness progressing.

DFWdesperado

My Regimen
Reaction score
I seriously doubt his male pattern baldness progressed noticeably in 9 days...probably just a normal shed man.

MVGame

Reaction score
For me finasteride didn't cause any noticeable shedding. Minoxidil on the other hand did, but it got better over the next few months. You got to keep at it! Worst thing you could do is start treatments, shed and then just stop. Good luck.