Finding A Custom Wig Seller Cos My Sides Have Gone Bald. My Heart's Broken

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's official. My sides have gone I will have to order a wig now otherwise I won't be able to leave the house in a couple of months.

I thought I was prepared to deal with this but I just couldn't stop crying.

My mum is heart broken that I need to wear a wig.

My hair is everywhere in the house. My housemates hate it.

I am 24 y.o. It's been 5 years. It felt like forever.

I really wish this wasn't so hard.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's official. My sides have gone I will have to order a wig now otherwise I won't be able to leave the house in a couple of months.

I'm very sorry you have to deal with this at your age.

I honestly don't know what else to say but just want to throw support to you.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm very sorry you have to deal with this at your age.

I honestly don't know what else to say but just want to throw support to you.

I am very tempted to get a scalp biopsy as i seriously cannot believe how diffuse my hair loss is. I know DPA is a type of Androgenetic Alopecia too but i thought it wouldn't affect the bottom of my head so badly :(

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am very tempted to get a scalp biopsy as i seriously cannot believe how diffuse my hair loss is. I know DPA is a type of Androgenetic Alopecia too but i thought it wouldn't affect the bottom of my head so badly :(

you have nothing to lose getting a biopsy just get a proper one..tell them to take two samples from two different areas and make sure its a derma pathologist who examines it and ask them if they cross section it (you can do a little research via google on hair biopsies to know the language to use)
You have to be your own advocate unfortunately.
And in States I don't know about Europe--those samples belong to you...so if you ever wanted to have another Dr or pathologist examine them--you can have them moved via a request.
Sorry for information overload i just went through a lot and it would have been easier if I knew how to speak to Doctors when going to get analyzed.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you have nothing to lose getting a biopsy just get a proper one..tell them to take two samples from two different areas and make sure its a derma pathologist who examines it and ask them if they cross section it (you can do a little research via google on hair biopsies to know the language to use)
You have to be your own advocate unfortunately.
And in States I don't know about Europe--those samples belong to you...so if you ever wanted to have another Dr or pathologist examine them--you can have them moved via a request.
Sorry for information overload i just went through a lot and it would have been easier if I knew how to speak to Doctors when going to get analyzed.

the problem with biospy is it's very expensive (my insurance doesnt cover). If it comes back as Androgenetic Alopecia or inconclusive, I would pretty much lose £650 for nothing.
Thanks for the info! :) I'll definitely ask my doctor.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
the problem with biospy is it's very expensive (my insurance doesnt cover). If it comes back as Androgenetic Alopecia or inconclusive, I would pretty much lose £650 for nothing.
Thanks for the info! :) I'll definitely ask my doctor.

ah okay my insurance paid for mine.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would you think it was worth it if you had to pay?

I got a definitive diagnosis but it is expensive if you don't have insurance covering cost and often they are mistaken and need two samples to compare--which may increase cost for you by double if they are quoting only one sample.
The definitive diagnosis gave me some peace of mind BUT they did misdiagnose with first biopsy (this is why i say two samples vs one sample to compare) and it sounds like if you had two samples it would be 1000 to 1500. Thats a whole other ball game of costs...so maybe don't get it.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got a definitive diagnosis but it is expensive if you don't have insurance covering cost and often they are mistaken and need two samples to compare--which may increase cost for you by double if they are quoting only one sample.
The definitive diagnosis gave me some peace of mind BUT they did misdiagnose with first biopsy (this is why i say two samples vs one sample to compare) and it sounds like if you had two samples it would be 1000 to 1500. Thats a whole other ball game of costs...so maybe don't get it.

by misdiagnosing, do you mean they thought you had Telogen Effluvium?

I talked to a lady online about hair loss who we still keep in touch on FB. She got diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia from a scalp biospy then later on her hair started to come back now she doesn't have hair loss anymore. And she has PCOS. I guess it's just not a great procedure.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
by misdiagnosing, do you mean they thought you had Telogen Effluvium?

I talked to a lady online about hair loss who we still keep in touch on FB. She got diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia from a scalp biospy then later on her hair started to come back now she doesn't have hair loss anymore. And she has PCOS. I guess it's just not a great procedure.

They saw I had inflammation that is the type that is always present in Areata.."lyncocytes in the bulge' in first biopsy.
so they mis diagnosed me with Areata.

My Dr did a second biopsy and then spoke to the head derma pathologist who compared both samples and he amended the first biopsy with a report that said the lycnocyte was minor (cant remember the exact language) And that comparing both samples I had "early androgenic alopecia with scant inflammation"

It's something if you have to pay for it I would not bother if you are on a budget and you are looking into wigs which good ones can be pricey.

It really depends how confident you are in your diagnosis.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Jesus Christ... from the bottom of my heart, I am sorry you are going through this, especially at 24. :(

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus Christ... from the bottom of my heart, I am sorry you are going through this, especially at 24. :(

The age is f*****g brutal,

And her hair is gorgeous--I know it 'should' not matter but it does.

It's a loss. And I am totally pissed off for her because it's not fair that we can make heart tissue from f*****g spinach leaf but we can't regrow hair in a 24 year old girl...I mean come on science, wtf?

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The age is f*****g brutal,

And her hair is gorgeous--I know it 'should' not matter but it does.

It's a loss. And I am totally pissed off for her because it's not fair that we can make heart tissue from f*****g spinach leaf but we can't regrow hair in a 24 year old girl...I mean come on science, wtf?

Thank you hairblues.

it does feel like I'm losing a family member. It's not even like I have patterned hair loss and can just get a frontal hairpiece. I'll need a full cap because the loss is simply too diffuse.

I just wish finasteride will work for me. It's like a ticking time bomb. I just want to look normal without a wig before I get married and have children. This is all I ask for.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you hairblues.

it does feel like I'm losing a family member. It's not even like I have patterned hair loss and can just get a frontal hairpiece. I'll need a full cap because the loss is simply too diffuse.

I just wish finasteride will work for me. It's like a ticking time bomb. I just want to look normal without a wig before I get married and have children. This is all I ask for.

I don't know a lot about oral meds especially finasteride so I can't offer an opinion or any experience. I am sure you have read everything I have on internet and the studies and there is debate if it works in women at all.
I mean I would try it to save my hair if your Dr thinks it helps.
I have only ever been offered oral spironolactone and Birth control pills--I passed for now.
I'm on topical spironolactone/estrodial if that is working vs the minoxidil I have no idea but I did get some decent regrowth and my 'short' hairs have greatly decreased in falling out.
I guess you did not respond to minoxidil?

jo123456789

My Regimen
Reaction score
It might not mean much, but I wouldn't look down on a girl if she wore a wig, it would be a non issue for me. Sorry you have to deal with this, hair loss has to be much worse for females.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about oral meds especially finasteride so I can't offer an opinion or any experience. I am sure you have read everything I have on internet and the studies and there is debate if it works in women at all.
I mean I would try it to save my hair if your Dr thinks it helps.
I have only ever been offered oral spironolactone and Birth control pills--I passed for now.
I'm on topical spironolactone/estrodial if that is working vs the minoxidil I have no idea but I did get some decent regrowth and my 'short' hairs have greatly decreased in falling out.
I guess you did not respond to minoxidil?

I didn't take BCP. I don't think spironolactone is very effective for hair loss tbh. Haven't seen many successful story and it didn't work well for me.

I tried minoxidil for about 1.5 years. It helped my shedding but didn't grow me any hair so I dropped it. I felt that it wasn't worth its price. So now I'm left with finasteride. If finasteride doesn't work, I'm going to wear a wig until another proven solution comes out.

Looking at these black ladies doing their frontal hair piece on YouTube. It's amazing how good they look. Look even better than my bio hair ..: