Fine And Thin Hair For Transplant Opinions

Andrew11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone had a hair transplant who has fine and thin hair and opinions on the subject ? My donor is thicker than my scalp hair so im wondering if those people who say thin and fine hair arnt great for hair transplant fail to mention its the donor thats important as for hair characteristics.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have fine hair. I had a FUT but It's only been almost 3 weeks post-op so I can't speak with experience, but I shall hope for the best.
I would say even though there is plenty of density in donor area, generally us unlucky people with fine hair also have finer donor hair compared to those with more coarse hair.

Andrew11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice to hear hope it turns out a great result! what Norwood are you ? What did the dr say regarding having fine hair ? Do you have less grafts or just less density per say. Have you posted your pictures here as well ?
I have fine hair. I had a FUT but It's only been almost 3 weeks post-op so I can't speak with experience, but I shall hope for the best.
I would say even though there is plenty of density in donor area, generally us unlucky people with fine hair also have finer donor hair compared to those with more coarse hair.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What I understood from the explanation is the increased difficulty in achieving density compared to coarse hair...perhaps we need more grafts to cover the same size area that someone else might need?

I'm not sure if there is any correlation between fine hair and donor density though, but I'm sure a good surgeon takes in account of hair characteristics when designing the grafts.

I did (hastily) create a thread with my phone camera, as I have not received photos form clinic yet...

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-sanga-3567-grafts-today.119007/#post-1743761

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say I have fine hair. Not the greatest density... Doctor initially assumed my hair density would be 1.9 hairs per graft. But it turned out as 2 per graft following surgery actuals.

Check out my blog and have a look at my hair and donor. Compare it to yours.

Andrew11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What I understood from the explanation is the increased difficulty in achieving density compared to coarse hair...perhaps we need more grafts to cover the same size area that someone else might need?

I'm not sure if there is any correlation between fine hair and donor density though, but I'm sure a good surgeon takes in account of hair characteristics when designing the grafts.

I did (hastily) create a thread with my phone camera, as I have not received photos form clinic yet...

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-sanga-3567-grafts-today.119007/#post-1743761
Hmm ok my concern was would it affect the graft count if i have fine hair but if we can still achieve 5000 grafts + in some cases than we can get some sort of coverage especially with smp. Did you go to a top surgeon ? And how many grafts did you have available? By the photos your hair looks really long but as far as the transplant goes you look like youll have a great result !

Andrew11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say I have fine hair. Not the greatest density... Doctor initially assumed my hair density would be 1.9 hairs per graft. But it turned out as 2 per graft following surgery actuals.

Check out my blog and have a look at my hair and donor. Compare it to yours.

Hey maverick thanks for replying ! Do you have any photos preop of your donor and scalp ? If you had 8000 grafts avalible youll def have a great result ! Ive seen great results from erdogan. Im deciding between him and rahal as i live in canada but im worried about having fine hair. I posted a picture of my donor/side below. Def a little thicker than the top. Your case is very interesting so ill definitely be following you especially if you say you have fine hair !

Attachments

• 20181214_191657.jpg
    20181214_191657.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 279

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm ok my concern was would it affect the graft count if i have fine hair but if we can still achieve 5000 grafts + in some cases than we can get some sort of coverage especially with smp. Did you go to a top surgeon ? And how many grafts did you have available? By the photos your hair looks really long but as far as the transplant goes you look like youll have a great result !

Thanks. From what I can see myself, I'm fairly happy with the design, but whether I will get enough density for the appearance of 'fullness' I guess only time will tell! I went to Dr. B-i-s-a-n-g-a in Belgium who is well known for his skills and ethics. I'm not sure how many grafts are still available, but I'm hoping I won't be needing it again after 3500+ grafts.
I think the only way to know is to be personally seen in a consultation where they can take a sample of your hair and measure donor density for a better estimate of what is achievable.

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey maverick thanks for replying ! Do you have any photos preop of your donor and scalp ? If you had 8000 grafts avalible youll def have a great result ! Ive seen great results from erdogan. Im deciding between him and rahal as i live in canada but im worried about having fine hair. I posted a picture of my donor/side below. Def a little thicker than the top. Your case is very interesting so ill definitely be following you especially if you say you have fine hair !
Hi Andrew,

Your donor area is similar to mine I don't have any pics of my donor site with long hair as I used to keep the sides tapered even before the transplant.

What you want to know and should be interested in is how many hairs are available per graft. So one graft can have up to 6 hairs I think.

I had Singles, doubles and some triples. All in all it came out at an average of 2.01 hairs per graft. I had 3020 in planted purely to hairline and temples. So hoping density is there. Baring in mind 3000 just for hairline and temples is alot of grafts.

Although Dr koray says I have 8200 and now 5180, I think realistically I have now a maximum 3000 more available and even then that will be pushing it.

Il admit, Dr rahals work looks great on his site but haven't really looked at other cases independently on forums.

What's the cost differential between rahal and Dr koray. If koray is cheaper, would flight costs still make it worth it?

Hair density will depend on number of grafts, number of hairs per graft and hair shaft thickness.

Keep tabs of my blog, will be posting more.

Andrew11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

Your donor area is similar to mine I don't have any pics of my donor site with long hair as I used to keep the sides tapered even before the transplant.

What you want to know and should be interested in is how many hairs are available per graft. So one graft can have up to 6 hairs I think.

I had Singles, doubles and some triples. All in all it came out at an average of 2.01 hairs per graft. I had 3020 in planted purely to hairline and temples. So hoping density is there. Baring in mind 3000 just for hairline and temples is alot of grafts.

Although Dr koray says I have 8200 and now 5180, I think realistically I have now a maximum 3000 more available and even then that will be pushing it.

Il admit, Dr rahals work looks great on his site but haven't really looked at other cases independently on forums.

What's the cost differential between rahal and Dr koray. If koray is cheaper, would flight costs still make it worth it?

Hair density will depend on number of grafts, number of hairs per graft and hair shaft thickness.

Keep tabs of my blog, will be posting more.

Hi Maverick ! I will have a better idea of the price later this month as i have a consultation at his clinic but i would guess it would be the same price or a little more expensive. Honestly erdogans work looks amazing and all of the results seen by him seems unbelievable. I would be interested to see pics of your hairline before and maybe the donor even short if possible if not its fine, your case resembles mine thats why im interested ! Awesome work btw in your photos very excited to see the final result !